LaserDisc Database
https://forum.lddb.com/

What have you been watching?
https://forum.lddb.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=8271
Page 8 of 47

Author:  forper [ 16 May 2019, 21:23 ]
Post subject:  Re: What have you been watching?

xtempo wrote:

what do you mean RIP?


Oh sorry I just checked it, it was Carrie Fisher that died, not Harrison Ford.

Quote:
Also is it more JPOP? I should get into that sometime.


Yeah. I'd recommend reading the Kayo Kyoku Plus blog followed by Youtube research before you start buying anything.

Author:  blam1 [ 20 May 2019, 05:23 ]
Post subject:  Re: What have you been watching?

One of my favorite films from 1987.
Image

Author:  thefringthing [ 23 May 2019, 21:02 ]
Post subject:  Re: What have you been watching?

Watched Citizen Kane for the first time a couple nights ago. It's great, who knew!? TCM VHS edition.

Author:  xtempo [ 23 May 2019, 22:49 ]
Post subject:  Re: What have you been watching?

thefringthing wrote:
Watched Citizen Kane for the first time a couple nights ago. It's great, who knew!? TCM VHS edition.


there is only one problem with it is the whole rosebud thing. I've had a film teacher never could explain who heard him say that as his last words. otherwise it is a great movie.

Author:  gypsy [ 26 May 2019, 22:59 ]
Post subject:  Re: What have you been watching?

Watched the Operation Condor movies recently. The BD release is rubbish.

Author:  forper [ 27 May 2019, 08:33 ]
Post subject:  Re: What have you been watching?

movies plural? This is Armor of God II you're talking about right? I always loved how the plot totally went out the window at the end of that haha

Watching the LD of Speed in Odaiba '97. This group was legendary in my share house circa 98

https://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/18494/TFLQ-78020/SPEED:-First-Live---Starting-Over-From-ODAIBA

My favorites always been Hitoe, the one with dreads 8-)


Author:  gypsy [ 27 May 2019, 11:59 ]
Post subject:  Re: What have you been watching?

Yeah.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armour_of ... ion_Condor and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armour_of_God_(film) The US release has them in the wrong order on the BD. Normally I am pro BD but they didn't clean it up at all, 4 movies are packed on one BD and you can see wires during the stunts which isn't the fault of the release but ugh. :(

Author:  forper [ 27 May 2019, 13:07 ]
Post subject:  Re: What have you been watching?

Oh okay, another classically convoluted hk movie release! I'm now not even sure what I saw on TV all those years ago. In the version I saw he goes into the bad guy's cave hideout with Yuen Biao I think to rescue his girlfriend but just forgets about her and ends up escaping and jumping onto the top of a air balloon in the (famous?) climax.

Author:  gypsy [ 27 May 2019, 15:46 ]
Post subject:  Re: What have you been watching?

I need to track down the English subtitled version of each assuming they exist.

Author:  forper [ 27 May 2019, 21:54 ]
Post subject:  Re: What have you been watching?

gypsy wrote:
I need to track down the English subtitled version of each assuming they exist.


Wow the BD doesn't have subs/original dialogue?

Plenty of subbed versions exist on DVD/VCD/BD at least, just check out Yes Asia

Author:  takeshi666 [ 28 May 2019, 08:59 ]
Post subject:  Re: What have you been watching?

Great, the Hong Kong blu-ray of Operation Condor has english subs but looks like sh!t, while the US release looks so much better but is in the wrong aspect ratio and dub only!

What a bunch of <expletives>.

Author:  gypsy [ 28 May 2019, 12:55 ]
Post subject:  Re: What have you been watching?

takeshi666 wrote:
Great, the Hong Kong blu-ray of Operation Condor has english subs but looks like sh!t, while the US release looks so much better but is in the wrong aspect ratio and dub only!

What a bunch of <expletives>.


Yeah, looks like I'll just get DVDs.

Author:  thefringthing [ 28 May 2019, 15:36 ]
Post subject:  Re: What have you been watching?

xtempo wrote:
thefringthing wrote:
Watched Citizen Kane for the first time a couple nights ago. It's great, who knew!? TCM VHS edition.


there is only one problem with it is the whole rosebud thing. I've had a film teacher never could explain who heard him say that as his last words. otherwise it is a great movie.
My impression was that it was the nurse. Some googling suggests that some people think the butler was in the room out of frame, since he recalls Kane dropping the snow globe as well. There appears to be a rumour that Orson Wells acknowledged it as a continuity problem, but it doesn't seem well confirmed.

Author:  forper [ 28 May 2019, 22:08 ]
Post subject:  Re: What have you been watching?

If you can find a Hong Kong release by Fortune Star I've always thought their DVD transfers were the best, I've probably got 20 titles and they all look great PQ wise with clear proper subs.

Author:  takeshi666 [ 29 May 2019, 06:19 ]
Post subject:  Re: What have you been watching?

gypsy wrote:
takeshi666 wrote:
Great, the Hong Kong blu-ray of Operation Condor has english subs but looks like sh!t, while the US release looks so much better but is in the wrong aspect ratio and dub only!

What a bunch of <expletives>.


Yeah, looks like I'll just get DVDs.

Seems like the first film is the only one to get a decent release, the UK blu has english subs and is in full HD, but appears to have slightly more muted colours compared to the US one but I don't know which one is accurate.

No such luck with the sequel.
forper wrote:
If you can find a Hong Kong release by Fortune Star I've always thought their DVD transfers were the best, I've probably got 20 titles and they all look great PQ wise with clear proper subs.

I've got the Fortune Star box set with both movies which is quite nice. It's only one (two?) of the three (four?) region 3 titles I own.

Author:  xtempo [ 29 May 2019, 16:19 ]
Post subject:  Re: What have you been watching?

thefringthing wrote:
xtempo wrote:
thefringthing wrote:
Watched Citizen Kane for the first time a couple nights ago. It's great, who knew!? TCM VHS edition.


there is only one problem with it is the whole rosebud thing. I've had a film teacher never could explain who heard him say that as his last words. otherwise it is a great movie.
My impression was that it was the nurse. Some googling suggests that some people think the butler was in the room out of frame, since he recalls Kane dropping the snow globe as well. There appears to be a rumour that Orson Wells acknowledged it as a continuity problem, but it doesn't seem well confirmed.

that would make since but I wish it was more clear though.

Author:  gypsy [ 31 May 2019, 19:54 ]
Post subject:  Re: What have you been watching?

The Highlander TV Series from the 90s. Pretty standard fare.

Author:  remav [ 12 Jun 2019, 17:48 ]
Post subject:  Re: What have you been watching?

Braveheart

(Well more correctly, I attempted to watch Braveheart)
I just wasn't feeling like my copy was performing well, so having several (doesn't everyone by now?) I tried a couple others. Is this movie just not well lit? :problem:

Author:  xtempo [ 12 Jun 2019, 18:08 ]
Post subject:  Re: What have you been watching?

gypsy wrote:
The Highlander TV Series from the 90s. Pretty standard fare.

I was watching that and planned to watch all of it including the spin-off but I got so annoyed with it and still There can only be one.

Author:  je280 [ 12 Jun 2019, 18:17 ]
Post subject:  Re: What have you been watching?

remav wrote:
Braveheart

(Well more correctly, I attempted to watch Braveheart)
I just wasn't feeling like my copy was performing well, so having several (doesn't everyone by now?) I tried a couple others. Is this movie just not well lit? :problem:


Which LD version as there were a few releases.

Page 8 of 47 All times are UTC [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/