It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:43

Page 1 of 2 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Looking to buy Sleepy Hollow LD
PostPosted: 08 Mar 2012, 07:25 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

I hope this is the right place to put this, sorry if it isn't.

I am looking to buy the LD, and not looking to pay too much for it.

I do not care about the condition of the disc. It could be broken or missing.

I DO care that the case be in good shape.

Would also consider trading for DVDs, CDs, and blu rays.

This is my half.com store and a sample of what I have for trade: http://shops.half.ebay.com/starwars3099_W0QQ

Post subject: Re: Looking to buy Sleepy Hollow LD
PostPosted: 08 Mar 2012, 07:51 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Unfortunately a Trade section hasn't been opened yet, so I think this would probably be the best place for this for now. Do you mind if I ask why you need the case/sleeve more than the disc?

Also, I don't know how much is too much, but there is a copy of Sleepy Hollow (1999) [LV329623-WS] here for $110...

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2012, 08:51 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

naiaru wrote:
Do you mind if I ask why you need the case/sleeve more than the disc?

In my view LDs have two practical real world uses

1) to copy to DVD movies like Song of the South and Hulk Hogan's No Holds Barred (ie movies that never made it to DVD/blu ray but made it to LD)

and

2) awesome pieces to get autographed

I want Sleepy Hollow for reason #2

Quote:
Also, I don't know how much is too much, but there is a copy of Sleepy Hollow (1999) [LV329623-WS] here for $110...

Anything more than $20-$30 is definitely too much.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2012, 09:06 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Hello naiaru, class316,

I have noticed that this title is more available now on Laserdisc, ever since HD DVD and Blu-Ray came along people are selling their Laserdisc version.

This title is one that I would like to own, it's just a shame that I havn't the available funds to purchase right now.

Thank you both for mentioning this title as I had almost forgotten about it.

Regards to you both.

:thumbup:

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2012, 14:01 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I don't see it happening for $20-30 my friend. It's the last LD pressed for US release. People won't let it go for less than $100. Right now LD market is well inflated, although there aren't too many collectors/buyers to pay such sums. I see late 1999 releases go nothing under $100 lately. We have witnessed a $1200 sale on The 6th day japanese release LD recently(because it was one of the last LDs pressed) $500-600 sales are not intypical for 1999-2001 releases. I wish I bought a few of these when they were blowing Lds when DVD showed up.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2012, 15:02 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

class316 wrote:

Unless you find it at a yard sale or estate sale where no one really knows what it's worth, I doubt you'll find it for anywhere near that price.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2012, 19:03 
elahrairrah wrote:
class316 wrote:

Unless you find it at a yard sale or estate sale where no one really knows what it's worth, I doubt you'll find it for anywhere near that price.

agreed. not going to happen, because even if one were to go up on ebay with a starting bid of $0.99, it will end up selling for $80+. So yeah, yard sales/craigslist etc. are going to be your best bet. sorry man.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2012, 19:29 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

That's why I say that I don't mind a broken disc or no disc. Maybe then I could get it for cheap.

I don't understand why LDs like that go for so much. I can see movies like Song of the South with no other home releases, but a movie like Sleepy Hollow where you can get the blu ray for less than $10, why do people pay so much for the LD?

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2012, 19:55 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

1999-2001 had low production run of titles and some titles are very collectable due to being a certain genre or even being a great movie.
Some people collect LD's for the cover art or just love this type of media. People still collect LP's even though it's available on CD.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2012, 20:03 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

class316 wrote:
That's why I say that I don't mind a broken disc or no disc. Maybe then I could get it for cheap.

I don't understand why LDs like that go for so much. I can see movies like Song of the South with no other home releases, but a movie like Sleepy Hollow where you can get the blu ray for less than $10, why do people pay so much for the LD?

Collector's mentality and rarity.

When there's only 400 of those out there, there's not enough supply for the collector demand :crazy:

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2012, 22:28 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

If you had asked for a clean disc but damaged or no jacket, you would have better luck finding it cheaper than usuall. As pointed above, people collect and want them in good shape. Most don't even watch it once. if the copy is sealed, usually remains that way

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2012, 01:12 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

well you know some people like myself actually watch there laserdiscs for their excellent sound and film like video, just saying, you might not find someone selling just "a jacket" because these things are meant to be watched

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2012, 06:29 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

starlaser wrote:
1999-2001 had low production run of titles and some titles are very collectable due to being a certain genre or even being a great movie.
Some people collect LD's for the cover art or just love this type of media. People still collect LP's even though it's available on CD.

Except LPs still have purpose and relevancy today. LDs for the most part do not. That's why LPs are still manufactured while LD is dead.

LPs still have benefits with the right equipment. LD has lower quality video compared to DVD and Blu Ray no matter what.

The only benefit LD really has is for movies that never got a DVD or blu ray (or has some sort of commentary not on DVD or blu ray). Otherwise it's just for people that get a strange pleasure from collecting the format. It's fine to enjoy collecting LD but my point is you simply can't use LP as an analogy.

That being said, when I collect LPs I also collect for the case more than the record. I love it when I find a nice shaped sleeve with a scratched record for $1. Cause it's win/win for me. I don't care to play LPs either. CD, MP3, and youtube are good enough for me.

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2012, 06:45 
class316 wrote:
starlaser wrote:

Except LPs still have purpose and relevancy today. LDs for the most part do not. That's why LPs are still manufactured while LD is dead.

LPs still have benefits with the right equipment. LD has lower quality video compared to DVD and Blu Ray no matter what.

The only benefit LD really has is for movies that never got a DVD or blu ray (or has some sort of commentary not on DVD or blu ray). Otherwise it's just for people that get a strange pleasure from collecting the format. It's fine to enjoy collecting LD but my point is you simply can't use LP as an analogy.

That being said, when I collect LPs I also collect for the case more than the record. I love it when I find a nice shaped sleeve with a scratched record for $1. Cause it's win/win for me. I don't care to play LPs either. CD, MP3, and youtube are good enough for me.

Eh, a lot of people collect (and still watch) Laserdiscs for the same reason that a lot of people collect LPs: The audio. The audio quality is still better than anything ever put on a dvd, and even some blu-rays don't hold up to their laserdisc counterpart in the audio department. while i completely agree that the video quality doesn't necessarily hold a candle to today's technology, the audio on many laserdiscs can still blow away most dvds and many blu-ray.

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2012, 07:03 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

jeb86home wrote:
Eh, a lot of people collect (and still watch) Laserdiscs for the same reason that a lot of people collect LPs: The audio. The audio quality is still better than anything ever put on a dvd, and even some blu-rays don't hold up to their laserdisc counterpart in the audio department. while i completely agree that the video quality doesn't necessarily hold a candle to today's technology, the audio on many laserdiscs can still blow away most dvds and many blu-ray.

I find it a bit hard to believe that LD audio trumps DVD or blu ray, but since I don't have hard evidence handy I won't argue either way, but when watching a movie one would think most people care more for picture quality than the audio quality.

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2012, 07:14 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

If I remember right there are thousands of Laserdiscs that are not on DVD and never will be. I am one of the people that collect that.

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2012, 07:43 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Right !!!
Put me down as one of the people who finds a strange pleasure in collecting the LaserDisc format.
And the appeal is not just limited to the strange pleasure I get when holding up a new score.

Audio, Jacket / Gatefold linear notes & photos, Commentaries & Making of Extras, Photo Still Stepping, and the appeal of a gigantic shiny platter I get to wave around while enjoying movies from a bygone day.
Do get a bizarre look when changing discs during a movie I have been told !!!
Have not scared any children by it,just a pleasant ten mile stare of bliss is my notion !!! LoL

Keep a Look - Out class316, You Will Find Your Jacket......

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2012, 15:02 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

class316 wrote:
I find it a bit hard to believe that LD audio trumps DVD or blu ray, but since I don't have hard evidence handy I won't argue either way, but when watching a movie one would think most people care more for picture quality than the audio quality.
Not being confrontational here, but informational . . .

I can't speak for blu-ray as I haven't made the jump, but LD for the most part DOES trump DVD in the audio department. Especially since the vast majority of DVDs, even when they in a simple stereo or matrix surround mix, use the very lossy Dolby Digital AC-3 codec which maxes out on DVD at 448kbps. Compare that to the LPCM sountracks on LD in either stereo or matrix surround which is more than three times the bitrate at 1441kbps.

The only time a DVD will better LD in terms of pure bitrate is when they use PCM as well (at a bitrate of 1536kbps), but those are rarely used for movies.

DVD should trump LD in the 5.1 Dolby Digital Surround department since DD on LD has a bitrate of 384kbps, but usually the mix on DD LDs are done better. I remember seeing many comparative reviews of Star Wars: The Phantom Menace on DVD vs LD and they were incredulous that LD 5.1 sound on the LD was so much better than the DVD.

Even DVD DTS soundtracks are hobbled as they use the 768kbps bitrate most often rather than the 1536kbps (where LD DTS bitrate is at 1441kbps.)

So when you got a package of 425 lines for the picture with great sound vs 480 lines and "good" sound, you might better understand why us LD collectors still like watching those vs DVD.

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2012, 15:33 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

elahrairrah wrote:
So when you got a package of 425 lines for the picture with great sound vs 480 lines and "good" sound, you might better understand why us LD collectors still like watching those vs DVD.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but almost all LDs don't even have anamorphic video. Right? Whereas most WS DVDs and all WS blu rays do.

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2012, 15:35 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

class316 wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but almost all LDs don't even have anamorphic video. Right? Whereas most WS DVDs and all WS blu rays do.

yes, the vast majority of WS DVDs are anamorphic while only a handful of LDs are so.

Still not a deal breaker for the most of us. If it is for you :shrugs: so be it.

Page 1 of 2 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next