It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 11:14

Page 1 of 1 [ 18 posts ] 
 Post subject: Mannequin (1987)
PostPosted: 16 Jan 2020, 12:42 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I picked up the NTSC-J edition of Mannequin recently. I'm well aware that Olive released a Blu Ray version, however I'm a sucker for Laserdiscs! I noticed a couple of things though with this disc so thought to mention them here after watching the film last night.

Firstly the transfer looks like it's some sort of direct telecine from the cinema reels as there are cue marks all over the place. It also has the Belinda Carlisle song 'In My Wildest Dreams' over the opening credits. I can vaguely remember, but cannot be 100% sure, the song 'Walk Like An Egyptian' by The Bangles being used too? Maybe that was on the TV version? Can anyone confirm?

As for the disc itself, I was very pleased with the audio and picture quality, especially the audio. It's certainly one of the better discs I've heard. Regarding the AR though, I think there may be some cropping at the sides. I haven't the capacity to provide a screenshot at the minute so I'll do my best to describe something I picked up on. If it helps, I run my CLD-D925 to a Micomsoft Framemeister, upscale to 1080p and then that connects to my Yamaha AV kit over HDMI and up to the TV over HDMI ARC.

One scene that shows some newspaper headlines about evil rival Illustra and their profits dropping by over 48% actually trims the sides of the image down. The reason I suspect this is because the burned-in Japanese subtitles actually display the full details and figures that are written on the newspaper headline.

This happened in a couple of other scenes too. I'll probably pick up the Blu Ray of both movies soon, just because. Why not both? and all that! :lolno:

I've seen this film a few times over the years. It's a bit dated in terms of some of the humour which would definitely not be made today (the sexual harrassment of Roxy and the portrayal of and comments thrown at the guy who plays Hollywood for example, though there is a scene where the security guard is called a bigot so there's some redemption there I guess). Anyone else seen this film? Thoughts? :thumbup:

Post subject: Re: Mannequin (1987)
PostPosted: 16 Jan 2020, 14:23 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

i've seen it two or three times before, and enjoyed it every time.
much like a great many good Anime out there, it is stupid, yet thoroughly fun.
it's also a great way to immerse yourself in 80's nostalgia, which i personally enjoy.

also; GREAT soundtrack...

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2020, 15:03 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

tasuke wrote:
also; GREAT soundtrack...

100%. Starship and Belinda Carlisle for starters. :clap:

Thinking I may look to get Mannequin 2 on Laserdisc. Though to be honest perhaps just going for the Olive blu ray discs of both films is a better idea. The transfers look excellent. I would like to know first though if the first film suffers from the side cropping issue though.

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2020, 16:11 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Haven't seen this in years, probably almost 30 years now, when it would have been on cable back in the day. 88, 89.

Anyway your best places to look for stuff like different songs etc is the alternate versions on imdb or another site which I can't think of now.
Others post and its really great but I usually do IMDB.

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2020, 16:29 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rein-o wrote:
Haven't seen this in years, probably almost 30 years now, when it would have been on cable back in the day. 88, 89.

Anyway your best places to look for stuff like different songs etc is the alternate versions on imdb or another site which I can't think of now.
Others post and its really great but I usually do IMDB.

I wonder if the version you saw on cable may have had the alternate opening music? I've been looking around and am coming up with nothing. Maybe it was used in Mannequin 2?

I have dug out some interesting information too from this NY Times review. It appears that the film was actually called Dummy Love: Mannequin on it's theatrical release! :think:

https://www.nytimes.com/1987/02/13/movies/film-a-comedy-mannequin.html

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2020, 20:16 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

The US edition has an audio sync issue at the tail end of Side 1 that always annoyed me.

PostPosted: 06 May 2020, 21:14 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I was looking for the opening song for ages and didn't know there was never a soundtrack released for Mannequin, thus no release of In My Wildest Dreams exists.

Go on. Go look for it and continue reading this when you give up. :lol:

Someone found a studio recording of the song here. Enjoy.

https://outrageoussoundtracks.blogspot. ... 5.html?m=1

EDIT: I've downloaded the file and checked it out. It's the real deal! The transfer from the studio cassette is superb. Excellent quality. An actual soundtrack holy grail uncovered! :clap:

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2020, 09:18 
Third post and above
Third post and above

I Love this silly little film!! One of my Favorites from the 80s, along with Heart and Souls, and Two of a Kind, among many others!! Such simple, safe, fun times!! I want them back!
And, thank you for the Soundtrack...it is the First Music I have put into my new computer!! (Thanks, Dell XPS 8500 for Dying after only 5 years of use!! Just Love the $2000 expense during the CoronApocalypse!!)

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2020, 15:07 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

This is the perfect time for a remake of this film.
They can kiss and f==K since hes human and shes a doll and won't get corona.
Back then it would have been the Aids deal but now its COVID-19.

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2020, 10:24 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

batman4oz wrote:
I Love this silly little film!! One of my Favorites from the 80s, along with Heart and Souls, and Two of a Kind, among many others!! Such simple, safe, fun times!! I want them back!
And, thank you for the Soundtrack...it is the First Music I have put into my new computer!! (Thanks, Dell XPS 8500 for Dying after only 5 years of use!! Just Love the $2000 expense during the CoronApocalypse!!)

Most welcome! Yes, that Belinda Carlisle track is a super rare beast. Never, ever released and probably unlikely to see one in the future either. Absolutely no idea what the problem was with it. Madness they never released a soundtrack for the film either. Look how well Starship did out of being associated with the film!

Films like these don't need remakes. Leave classics alone!

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2020, 14:00 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Do any of you Mannequin fans also like Mannequin 2: On The Move?

I do remember showing the first one when released & it did fairly well for the first week with a very steep drop in week two.

Hard to accept it as a bit of a "cult classic" now.

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2020, 18:34 
Honest fan
Honest fan

teddanson wrote:
I can vaguely remember, but cannot be 100% sure, the song 'Walk Like An Egyptian' by The Bangles being used too? Maybe that was on the TV version? Can anyone confirm?

Very expensive bootleg soundtrack CD being sold out of France definitely references some sort of Eqyptian theme intro in it's track listing.:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mannequin-orig ... 3568179864

Quote:
01. Intro: Egyptian Incarnation *
02. In My Wildest Dreams - Belinda Carlisle (Rush Studio Version)
03. My Girl - The Temptations
04. Jobs * (Demo)
05. Heavy Rain *
06. Welcome to the Store *
07. Finding the Mannequin *
08. Security - Part I *
09. Emmy’s Theme
10. Do You Dream About me - Diane Warren
11. Jonathan in the Store *
12. Vacation *(Demo)
13. Security - Part II *
14. Gliding *
15. Creation *
16. Emmy & Jonathan *
17. Harley Ride * (Demo)
18. Thieves *
19. Mannequin in Trash *
20. Nothing's Gonna Stop us Now – Jefferson Starship

I'll pull my VHS copy of the movie out later on and see if it's the Bangles song or not, as I can't remember for sure, but the movie definitely starts off with a scene in "ancient Egypt".

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2020, 10:30 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

teddanson wrote:

I've seen this film a few times over the years. It's a bit dated in terms of some of the humour which would definitely not be made today (the sexual harrassment of Roxy and the portrayal of and comments thrown at the guy who plays Hollywood for example, though there is a scene where the security guard is called a bigot so there's some redemption there I guess).

Don't drink the Kool Aid man. My respect for women now is the same as it was in 1987. I show respect to everyone equally.

A movie is a story. It can portray anything it wants to. To say it's "dated" is attaching negative vibes to something because the characters in the movie aren't acting like what the media tells us a "woke" person in 2020 is supposed to act like. But they aren't "good woke people" in 2020, they're characters in a 1987 movie. The sexual harrassment didn't really happen.

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2020, 14:30 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

forper wrote:
A movie is a story. It can portray anything it wants to.
To say it's "dated" is attaching negative vibes to something because the characters in the movie aren't acting like what the media tells us a "woke" person in 2020 is supposed to act like.
But they aren't "good woke people" in 2020, they're characters in a 1987 movie. The sexual harrassment didn't really happen.

:thumbup: A- effin' -MEN, man :thumbup:

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2020, 15:23 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

tweeg wrote:
Very expensive bootleg soundtrack CD being sold out of France definitely references some sort of Eqyptian theme intro in it's track listing.:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mannequin-orig ... 3568179864

100% bootleg as Mannequin never got a soundtrack release. Only the Starship single.

That would be great if you could check it. Maybe I just imagined it being The Bangles! I'd be more inclined to think it was a TV version though rather than a home video release that had it. Again, not really sure why, could be thinking of a different film entirely.

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2020, 16:38 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

How does the DVD version compare? It seems to be an early DVD release (2001, I think), so it could be good. Or the LD might be better.

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2020, 23:52 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Didn't get to check it yesterday as I'd intended to do, but I pulled my Mannequin VHS (circa 1990) just a moment ago and the Egyptian-esque music that plays for all of about two minutes during the initial movie sequence taking place in Egypt is some very generic synth background music.

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2021, 11:42 
Honest fan
Honest fan

noehat wrote:
How does the DVD version compare? It seems to be an early DVD release (2001, I think), so it could be good. Or the LD might be better.

still interested in the DVD version?

just took my sealed copy of the DVD and unpacked it.

both anamorphic and open matte 4:3 version are on the disc!

Page 1 of 1 [ 18 posts ]