It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 06:01

Page 2 of 2 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Looking to buy Sleepy Hollow LD
PostPosted: 09 Mar 2012, 16:41 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

elahrairrah wrote:
yes, the vast majority of WS DVDs are anamorphic while only a handful of LDs are so.

Still not a deal breaker for the most of us. If it is for you :shrugs: so be it.

Well for most people anamorphic does matter.

In my view digital higher quality and anamorphic where WS video quality is better than higher quality audio (which may not even be the case for blu ray, but again won't debate that as I have no deep knowledge in that area).

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2012, 01:40 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I collect tv episodes which were either shot and/or edited on 1" magnetic tape in analog ntsc. These tapes happen to have the same bandwith as laserdiscs. Furthermore since both formats are in ntsc around 425 lines and 60 frames, ld edition of these are identical to the masters. Most music video and concert media is in this format as well. Dvds and blurays increased resolution doesnt benefit these recordings since the master doesnt have that kind or info. Analog to digital transfer with lossy audio makes dvd coubter part worst. These shows are in full screen in original so no anamorphic enhancement needed. To name a few star trek tng,x-files(first 4 seasons), babylon 5.

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2012, 15:14 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

I agree. Most of the older 4:3 TV shows look great on Laserdisc and aren't better on DVD. I just watched a few TV epsiodes on LD and then watched some other on DVD and the first thing I saw was macroblocking/compression artifacts. Too bad there aren't more anamorphic/squeeze LDs.

"ld edition of these are identical to the masters"
Well, to be precise, they are not identical. It's not digital so every copy is a little bit inferior to its source.

Oh, and Star Trek TNG is comming to Blu-ray! They are scanning the original 35mm masters and are re-editing the entire show. They are even recompositing most of the original special effects! There is already a sampler Blu-ray with the pilot and two episodes. It just looks great!

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2012, 16:36 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

red1981 wrote:
I agree. Most of the older 4:3 TV shows look great on Laserdisc and aren't better on DVD. I just watched a few TV epsiodes on LD and then watched some other on DVD and the first thing I saw was macroblocking/compression artifacts. Too bad there aren't more anamorphic/squeeze LDs.

"ld edition of these are identical to the masters"
Well, to be precise, they are not identical. It's not digital so every copy is a little bit inferior to its source.

Oh, and Star Trek TNG is comming to Blu-ray! They are scanning the original 35mm masters and are re-editing the entire show. They are even recompositing most of the original special effects! There is already a sampler Blu-ray with the pilot and two episodes. It just looks great!

i hear alot of tv shows were shot on 35m but then edited on tape! would take a lot of work to do all that re editing!

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2012, 22:19 
Its funny when people say they want a certain title and only want to pay less than the retail of it when it originally came out when it is an item that is on the sot after list... Yet, it is possible to find things in the wild.
I was at a store and found a copy of the Matrix in almost mint condition for all of $9.98. Guess what?

I BOUGHT IT

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2012, 22:34 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

elahrairrah wrote:
class316 wrote:
That's why I say that I don't mind a broken disc or no disc. Maybe then I could get it for cheap.

I don't understand why LDs like that go for so much. I can see movies like Song of the South with no other home releases, but a movie like Sleepy Hollow where you can get the blu ray for less than $10, why do people pay so much for the LD?

Collector's mentality and rarity.

When there's only 400 of those out there, there's not enough supply for the collector demand :crazy:

O.K. how do we know there are 400 of anything out there???
was this printed in a magazine or somewhere??

i want to know how you can tell the number of any discs????

nobody was able to answer my question when i started a topic about this.

do you people pull these numbers out of the air :wtf: or are there only a handful of discs that you actually know the pressing numbers of due to magazine articles?

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2012, 23:46 
elahrairrah wrote:
class316 wrote:
I find it a bit hard to believe that LD audio trumps DVD or blu ray, but since I don't have hard evidence handy I won't argue either way, but when watching a movie one would think most people care more for picture quality than the audio quality.
Not being confrontational here, but informational . . .

I can't speak for blu-ray as I haven't made the jump, but LD for the most part DOES trump DVD in the audio department. Especially since the vast majority of DVDs, even when they in a simple stereo or matrix surround mix, use the very lossy Dolby Digital AC-3 codec which maxes out on DVD at 448kbps. Compare that to the LPCM sountracks on LD in either stereo or matrix surround which is more than three times the bitrate at 1441kbps.

The only time a DVD will better LD in terms of pure bitrate is when they use PCM as well (at a bitrate of 1536kbps), but those are rarely used for movies.

DVD should trump LD in the 5.1 Dolby Digital Surround department since DD on LD has a bitrate of 384kbps, but usually the mix on DD LDs are done better. I remember seeing many comparative reviews of Star Wars: The Phantom Menace on DVD vs LD and they were incredulous that LD 5.1 sound on the LD was so much better than the DVD.

Even DVD DTS soundtracks are hobbled as they use the 768kbps bitrate most often rather than the 1536kbps (where LD DTS bitrate is at 1441kbps.)

So when you got a package of 425 lines for the picture with great sound vs 480 lines and "good" sound, you might better understand why us LD collectors still like watching those vs DVD.

Even the handfull of full bit rate DTS dvds that I have don't seem to pack the same punch as a DTS LD

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2012, 03:44 
True fan
True fan

vivamovies wrote:
Its funny when people say they want a certain title and only want to pay less than the retail of it when it originally came out when it is an item that is on the sot after list... Yet, it is possible to find things in the wild.
I was at a store and found a copy of the Matrix in almost mint condition for all of $9.98. Guess what?

I BOUGHT IT

fffffffffffff.........I am emanting jealous towards you

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2012, 05:11 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Anamorphic DVD doesn't have a higher resolution than a non-anamprhic standard format (4:3) DVD, just as the anamorphed widescreen film formats did not somehow lessen the grain of film. An unsqueezed anamorphed image spreads the horizontal resolution over a wider field.

While the letterboxed LD would have less vertical resolution once zoomed to fill a widescreen set's height, the horizontal resolution would not suffer in the same way. The quality of an LD can vary greatly based upon the player, and that's not as true with a DVD. The best quality LD players with a good transfer on LD can give DVD good competition, and even best some DVD transfers.

With the availability of modern high-quality video enhancers/stabilizers, LDs can look good on modern sets. They still look great on older sets, as they do on my Pioneer Elite CRT rear projector set where LDs can compare to DVDs easily.

Another attraction of LDs is the analog video, which many of us find preferable to digital video. Contrary to others who think there's no discernable difference, I can see the difference in analog vs digital video, especially in motion.

This is another big reason why LP fans like LPs, they too can hear the difference of analog audio vs digital audio, regardless of those who say they cannot. I hear the difference as well, and prefer the LP for that reason too.

A synthezized keyboard system can simulate a brass band very well, but the brass band will sound better.

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2012, 13:08 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I own the tng bluray sampler disc. I bought it the day it came out. I have mixed opinions about it. Although some scenes look realy good,some look awful. Look at picard,most scenes he looks like madame tussauds vax replica. I cant tell whether this is because excessive use of dnr,makeup,light etc. Lds however are very consistent. I like the ld presentation truer to original. It will also take 3 years to release all 7 seasons if not more.
I also own tos seasons on ld and bluray. I prefer bd on these. Direct transfer from 35mm,no dnr,no ee. In original audio ld beats it tho. Bd is dolby digital,ld is analog mono.
Yes almost every tv show in late 80s and 90s were shot on film 35 or 16mm then edited on tape. Most interior shots were on tape in video format to cut cost and able to smaller cameras. On tng all of the interior shots were tape and video. Bd will not make these nicer. Model shots and exterior were on 35mm but few mins per episode.
Tng is very big so worth the effort most other tv show they wont bother

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2012, 20:17 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

There is no dnr or ee on the TNG Blu-ray. There is so much grain that sometimes the compression has problems - which is still better than dnr. I also do think the make-up holds up pretty well for a TV show:

http://www.caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleic ... #vergleich

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2012, 05:00 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Yeah, the make-up is okay, but those 80s/early 90s color schemes are annoying and too feminine. Though not as bad as the early 80s retro-redo of turquoise and pink as if those were the only colors in the 50s.

I'll take the art direction of TOS any day.

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2012, 14:40 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

class316 wrote:
Well for most people anamorphic does matter.

In my view digital higher quality and anamorphic where WS video quality is better than higher quality audio

To each their own.

A clear picture is nice, but to me, the sound is what puts you there in the movie.

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2019, 04:22 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

substance wrote:
Look at picard,most scenes he looks like madame tussauds vax replica.

Don't mean to bring a necro-thread alive, but this made me laugh really hard. Thank you substance. I love tng on laserdisc, and have all of them. I also have all Lds of Xfiles and DS9. I really appreciate them over the current versions.

Got a gift of Sleepy Hollow on LD today, from the misses, and will be watching it tonight. :D

Page 2 of 2 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2