It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 08:29

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Naked Killer (1992)
PostPosted: 01 May 2020, 15:04 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

What is the best version to get on LD?

I know no single uncut version exists but which is the best of the bunch? Or, is there a fully uncut, original audio track version available on DVD or better?

Post subject: Re: Naked Killer (1992)
PostPosted: 15 May 2020, 23:44 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Just finished watching it. Here are some words about it if you wish to read them. :thumbup:

What a strange film.

This film vomits up more notoriety than Simon Yam chundering out of car doors over 93 minutes, yet I don't feel it lives up to the hype.

Sure, there's some choice dialogue and a sausage breakfast you'll never forget. But after 28 years passing and only getting around to viewing Naked Killer now, I have to say it is very tame and leaves me wondering what the BBFC (amongst other censors) got so upset about.

Given it's reputation I was expecting guns, b**bs, bums, willy's and gallons of trouser custard liberally sloshing about all over my telly.

But no.

What you end up with is a half-arsed and confused film, poorly acted and with plot holes so wide they span time zones. A few 'Mills and Boon-grade' sex scenes and a nightclub scene lifted straight out of Basic Instinct.

The last 15 minutes is good but the ending is not what I expected at all and actually rather dour. I didn't feel it worked and could have been finished better.

The director Clarence Ford seems to me to be greatly influenced by Dario Argento. Naked Killer is literally bursting with vibrant room decor, lighting and skewed camera angles. Sadly let down by heaps of terminally cliché detective movie shots e.g. the shoe stepping in a puddle, the vacant looks while driving in the rain and so on. It is endless and turgid.

Yet through all of this Naked Killer does have interesting moments, just not too many of them.

Glad I ticked this one off the list but I won't be in a hurry to revisit it.

NOTE: I made sure to buy and watch the uncut R2 UK DVD which is considered to be the best possible version of Naked Killer by fans and film buffs.

My ★★★ review of Naked Killer on Letterboxd https://boxd.it/19abEl

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ]