It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:04

Page 1 of 5 [ 84 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Name some loved movies you hate and hated movies you love
PostPosted: 01 Aug 2018, 07:28 
Honest fan
Honest fan

What are the movies everyone loves and you hate and the movies everyone hates and you love?

Movies that everyone loves and I hate
Pulp Fiction
Star Trek 2009
Mad Max
Star Wars ep. 7&8
Planet of the Apes
All of the Alien movies
Lord of the Ring

Movies that everyone hates and I love
Star Trek the motion picture
Superman Returns
Robocop reboot
Star Wars ep.3
Dune
Armageddon

Post subject: Re: Name some loved movies you hate and hated movies you lov
PostPosted: 01 Aug 2018, 10:33 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I'm going to use the terms Overrated and Underrated as most of these films I don't have strong love/hate feelings for.

Overrated:
The Dark Knight - Editing mess from script to film
The Dark Knight - Poor editing and pacing, good actors but poor performances. Pretty much gave up on Nolan after this.
Godzilla 2014 - Pretty much just a rehash of 1998 but less fun
District 9 - Racism is bad..but watch out for the voodoo man, he might eat you *facepalm*
Pulp Fiction - nothing bad to say, just nothing good either, just meh
Young Frankenstein - I laughed twice.
Lost in Translation - I love how Sofia Coppola perfectly captures the atmosphere of Tokyo, but I just hate, HATE, the characters. They're just awful people in every way.
Aliens - I don't have anything negative to say about this one, just I find it the least engaging of the original Alien Trilogy.
Mulholland Drive - Everyone slags off the European Pilot for Twin Peaks; it was put together with a tacked on ending so in case the series didn't get picked up they could show it as a TV movie. That's exactly what Mulholland Drive is; a failed TV show pilot with a tacked on ending.
Temple of Doom - All the great action in this film can't save it from the offensive story and characters.

Underrated
Cloud Atlas - How this didn't get a nomination for best editing I'll never know.
Until the End of the World - This one always had too much story for one film. The full version runs close to five hours but it was originally edited down to half of that. Watch it in chunks as a mini series and you'll enjoy it much better.
The Terminator - Always overshadowed by T2 but I find this to be the stronger one.
Robocop 2004 - with you on this one, though I wouldn't say I love either version, just like them equally. We lost the ultraviolence but gained some good hard sci-fi man/machine debate. Try watching it from the point of view that Gary Oldman is the main character.
Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - Sure there's a lot of awful CGI, but that's par for the course these days, but this one really captured the fun and adventure of the original series for me. Give me a nuked fridge over a life raft parachute any day!
Highlander 2 - I'm not saying it's good...far from it...I'm just saying it's better than it's reputation as worst film of all time (in Renegade form at least). No worse than a lot of sci-fi films of the time. It's still an awful sequel to Highlander but it isn't even the worst film in the franchise!

Right, that's my lot.

*braces for impact*

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2018, 16:15 
Honest fan
Honest fan

hippiedalek wrote:
I'm going to use the terms Overrated and Underrated as most of these films I don't have strong love/hate feelings for.

Overrated:
The Dark Knight - Editing mess from script to film
The Dark Knight - Poor editing and pacing, good actors but poor performances. Pretty much gave up on Nolan after this.
Godzilla 2014 - Pretty much just a rehash of 1998 but less fun
District 9 - Racism is bad..but watch out for the voodoo man, he might eat you *facepalm*
Pulp Fiction - nothing bad to say, just nothing good either, just meh
Young Frankenstein - I laughed twice.
Lost in Translation - I love how Sofia Coppola perfectly captures the atmosphere of Tokyo, but I just hate, HATE, the characters. They're just awful people in every way.
Aliens - I don't have anything negative to say about this one, just I find it the least engaging of the original Alien Trilogy.
Mulholland Drive - Everyone slags off the European Pilot for Twin Peaks; it was put together with a tacked on ending so in case the series didn't get picked up they could show it as a TV movie. That's exactly what Mulholland Drive is; a failed TV show pilot with a tacked on ending.
Temple of Doom - All the great action in this film can't save it from the offensive story and characters.

Underrated
Cloud Atlas - How this didn't get a nomination for best editing I'll never know.
Until the End of the World - This one always had too much story for one film. The full version runs close to five hours but it was originally edited down to half of that. Watch it in chunks as a mini series and you'll enjoy it much better.
The Terminator - Always overshadowed by T2 but I find this to be the stronger one.
Robocop 2004 - with you on this one, though I wouldn't say I love either version, just like them equally. We lost the ultraviolence but gained some good hard sci-fi man/machine debate. Try watching it from the point of view that Gary Oldman is the main character.
Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - Sure there's a lot of awful CGI, but that's par for the course these days, but this one really captured the fun and adventure of the original series for me. Give me a nuked fridge over a life raft parachute any day!
Highlander 2 - I'm not saying it's good...far from it...I'm just saying it's better than it's reputation as worst film of all time (in Renegade form at least). No worse than a lot of sci-fi films of the time. It's still an awful sequel to Highlander but it isn't even the worst film in the franchise!

Right, that's my lot.

*braces for impact*

I'm not a very big fan of the Nolan Batman movies. Christian Bale growling like a dog when he talks was just too annoying for me.

I wish people would stop calling the original Robocop a "masterpiece". Robocop in an over the top action movie and nothing more. Nobody watches Robocop for the story or the politics. They watch Robocop to see big guns, big explorations, and a dude in a bad a** mechanical suit. That's it. Everything else about the original Robocop is pretty dumb. The acting is terrible, the story is half hearted, and the politics are nothing if not cliche. Imo the Robocop reboot took what we all love about Robocop and did it better. The action is very entertaining, the humanity vs programming storyline is more flushed out, and there is plenty of cliche politics to go around.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2018, 16:30 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

pizmo wrote:
Star Wars ep. 7&8

I think you may grossly overestimate the reputation of some of those movies...

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2018, 16:38 
Honest fan
Honest fan

takeshi666 wrote:
pizmo wrote:
Star Wars ep. 7&8

I think you may grossly overestimate the reputation of some of those movies...

I know a lot of people that absolutely love the JJ Abrams star wars movies.

Personally I cannot stand any of JJ Abrams movies. All the Mission impossible movies are dumb as hell, Super 8 was over hyped and underwhelming, he ruined star trek by turning it into an action franchise, and now he is ruining star wars

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2018, 17:06 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

pizmo wrote:

Personally I cannot stand any of JJ Abrams movies. All the Mission impossible movies are dumb as hell, Super 8 was over hyped and underwhelming, he ruined star trek by turning it into an action franchise, and now he is ruining star wars

I agree on all accounts. I haven't seen M:I since the 90's, but reading about it afterwards, turning Phelps into the villain seems dumb as hell and would certainly rub me the wrong way now.

I really don't understand why people love his Star Trek movies so much. Nemesis was pretty dumb but at least it still felt like a proper Star Trek movie.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2018, 17:40 
Honest fan
Honest fan

takeshi666 wrote:
pizmo wrote:

I agree on all accounts. I haven't seen M:I since the 90's, but reading about it afterwards, turning Phelps into the villain seems dumb as hell and would certainly rub me the wrong way now.

I really don't understand why people love his Star Trek movies so much. Nemesis was pretty dumb but at least it still felt like a proper Star Trek movie.
Nemesis had it flaws for sure, but I think it had some high points as well. I also think it did the job it was supposed to do. Nemesis wrapped up all the loose ends of the TNG series. (Spoiler alert for any who hasn't seen the movie) Riker and Troi finally get married, Riker becomes a captain, and Data completes his quest for humanity by experiencing mortality. Yes the CGI was terrible, the buggy scene was stupid, B4 was annoying, and Tom Hardy looks and acts nothing like Patrick Stewart, but imo these were all pretty minor failings. I think the writers of nemesis knew their trek pretty good. Shinzon is the perfect villain for Picard. One of the most reoccurring themes in TNG is that Picard hates who he was as a young man. So it's very fitting that Picards last battle is with his younger ego

As far as the Abrams Trek goes; I don't know what people like about them. The story lines are full of plot holes, the actors are almost cartoonish in their portrayal of their characters (especially Bones, and Scotty), and the action is overused and underwhelming (I don't think Kirk jumping around on a dirt bike is what anyone thinks of when they think of star trek). They are just terrible movies all the way around

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2018, 18:24 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

pizmo wrote:
Nemesis had it flaws for sure, but I think it had some high points as well. I also think it did the job it was supposed to do. Nemesis wrapped up all the loose ends of the TNG series. (Spoiler alert for any who hasn't seen the movie) Riker and Troi finally get married, Riker becomes a captain, and Data completes his quest for humanity by experiencing mortality. Yes the CGI was terrible, the buggy scene was stupid, B4 was annoying, and Tom Hardy looks and acts nothing like Patrick Stewart, but imo these were all pretty minor failings. I think the writers of nemesis knew their trek pretty good. Shinzon is the perfect villain for Picard. One of the most reoccurring themes in TNG is that Picard hates who he was as a young man. So it's very fitting that Picards last battle is with his younger ego

As far as the Abrams Trek goes; I don't know what people like about them. The story lines are full of plot holes, the actors are almost cartoonish in their portrayal of their characters (especially Bones, and Scotty), and the action is overused and underwhelming (I don't think Kirk jumping around on a dirt bike is what anyone thinks of when they think of star trek). They are just terrible movies all the way around

I saw an article somewhere that described the Abrams Trek characters pretty well; they're not really themselves, but the pop culture parodies of themselves. Kirk womanizes, Scotty beams, etc. but all the nuance that made them who they are is missing and they're just turned into stereotypes.

Last time I watched Insurrection and Nemesis, my opinion of the latter improved but my opinion of the former got worse; I used to think Insurrection was easily the better of the two, now I'm not so sure. I think the biggest issue I had with Insurrection I had was that it tries to be like Star Trek 3 when it came to the titular event, but unlike Kirk, Picard's career never really felt like it was under any sort of jeopardy. Nemesis in the other hand turned out to have far less plot holes than I'd remembered, and I actually thought the duality element between Picard and Shinzon was interesting, albeit underexplored.

Honestly, I think the TNG movies just were never as strong as the TOS ones. First Contact is probably the only one I can say I actually think is a good Trek movie, but it still doesn't come close to the first six, ALL of which I enjoy. Even 1 and 5, which people usually hate. TMP is actually my favourite.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2018, 18:27 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

pizmo wrote:
[I wish people would stop calling the original Robocop a "masterpiece". Robocop in an over the top action movie and nothing more. Nobody watches Robocop for the story or the politics. They watch Robocop to see big guns, big explorations, and a dude in a bad a** mechanical suit. That's it. Everything else about the original Robocop is pretty dumb. The acting is terrible, the story is half hearted, and the politics are nothing if not cliche. Imo the Robocop reboot took what we all love about Robocop and did it better. The action is very entertaining, the humanity vs programming storyline is more flushed out, and there is plenty of cliche politics to go around.

I do like the original Robocop, I think it's a masterpiece of the pulp action genre, but in the grand scheme of things it's nothing special. The remake loses the pulp elements and becomes more sci fi. I loved the satire in the reboot, very topical for our times. But like the original the reboot isn't anything special in the grand scheme of things but certainly deserves more credit than it gets.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2018, 18:37 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

hippiedalek wrote:
I do like the original Robocop, I think it's a masterpiece of the pulp action genre, but in the grand scheme of things it's nothing special. The remake loses the pulp elements and becomes more sci fi. I loved the satire in the reboot, very topical for our times. But like the original the reboot isn't anything special in the grand scheme of things but certainly deserves more credit than it gets.

I think it gets exactly the right amount of credit that it gets, just not from pizmo. :P

I mean hell, Ann Lewis is a good, if often ignored, example of a strong female character; she stands up on her own, but she also gets her butt kicked when odds are against her and shows a more feminine, nurturing side when looking after Alex/Robo, so you can't say it's a typical macho action film either.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2018, 19:00 
Honest fan
Honest fan

takeshi666 wrote:
I saw an article somewhere that described the Abrams Trek characters pretty well; they're not really themselves, but the pop culture parodies of themselves. Kirk womanizes, Scotty beams, etc. but all the nuance that made them who they are is missing and they're just turned into stereotypes.

Spot on. If you combine the cliche characters with the notion that The Wrath of Kahn was the only Star Trek ever made; you get Abrams Trek movies.

takeshi666 wrote:
Last time I watched Insurrection and Nemesis, my opinion of the latter improved but my opinion of the former got worse; I used to think Insurrection was easily the better of the two, now I'm not so sure. I think the biggest issue I had with Insurrection I had was that it tries to be like Star Trek 3 when it came to the titular event, but unlike Kirk, Picard's career never really felt like it was under any sort of jeopardy. Nemesis in the other hand turned out to have far less plot holes than I'd remembered, and I actually thought the duality element between Picard and Shinzon was interesting, albeit underexplored.

The hatred for Nemesis among Trek fans has always baffled me. I understand the criticism from a none star trek fan perspective. I imagine to an outsider looking in that nemesis would seem like a very dumb movie. Weak story, cookie cutter villain, poor special effects, ect.. but I do not understand how trek fans cannot see the appeal to nemesis.[/quote]

takeshi666 wrote:
Honestly, I think the TNG movies just were never as strong as the TOS ones. First Contact is probably the only one I can say I actually think is a good Trek movie, but it still doesn't come close to the first six, ALL of which I enjoy. Even 1 and 5, which people usually hate. TMP is actually my favourite.
IMHO There are only two relevant TOS movies; the motion picture and the wrath of Kahn. The Motion Picture is for fans of the thinking man's trek. Its for those of us that think The Cage is the best TOS episode. Then you have The Wrath of Kahn which appeals to the wild west in the stars side of the fan base. It appeals to the people that define good trek as a duel to the death between the Gorn and Kirk. The remain 4 movies fall somewhere in the middle with varying degrees of success. As a trek fan I love them all (with the exception of the voyage home), but I acknowledge that they are rather unremarkable

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2018, 19:03 
Honest fan
Honest fan

pizmo wrote:
takeshi666 wrote:

Spot on. If you combine the cliche characters with the notion that The Wrath of Kahn was the only Star Trek ever made; you get Abrams Trek movies.

takeshi666 wrote:

The hatred for Nemesis among Trek fans has always baffled me. I understand the criticism from a none star trek fan perspective. I imagine to an outsider looking in that nemesis would seem like a very dumb movie. Weak story, cookie cutter villain, poor special effects, ect.. but I do not understand how trek fans cannot see the appeal to nemesis.

takeshi666 wrote:
IMHO There are only two relevant TOS movies; the motion picture and the wrath of Kahn. The Motion Picture is for fans of the thinking man's trek. Its for those of us that think The Cage is the best TOS episode. Then you have The Wrath of Kahn which appeals to the wild west in the stars side of the fan base. It appeals to the people that define good trek as a duel to the death between the Gorn and Kirk. The remaining 4 movies fall somewhere in the middle with varying degrees of success. As a trek fan I love them all (with the exception of the voyage home), but I acknowledge that they are rather unremarkable

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2018, 19:26 
Honest fan
Honest fan

hippiedalek wrote:
pizmo wrote:
[I wish people would stop calling the original Robocop a "masterpiece". Robocop in an over the top action movie and nothing more. Nobody watches Robocop for the story or the politics. They watch Robocop to see big guns, big explorations, and a dude in a bad a** mechanical suit. That's it. Everything else about the original Robocop is pretty dumb. The acting is terrible, the story is half hearted, and the politics are nothing if not cliche. Imo the Robocop reboot took what we all love about Robocop and did it better. The action is very entertaining, the humanity vs programming storyline is more flushed out, and there is plenty of cliche politics to go around.

Well there you go; you summed up pretty eloquently why a person like me wouldn't consider the original Robocop a "masterpiece", and be more inclined to like the reboot. Pulp Fiction is #1 on my list of movies that everyone loves and I hate. I am not a fan of edgy, dark, satire. Which is why I don't like pulp fiction and also why I find the none Robocop scenes in the original to be annoying and distracting. Also I am a huge sci fi fan. So being more on the sci fi end of the spectrum; it is no wonder that I find the reboot more appealing

Very well said sir

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2018, 19:34 
Honest fan
Honest fan

takeshi666 wrote:
hippiedalek wrote:

I think it gets exactly the right amount of credit that it gets, just not from pizmo. :P

I mean hell, Ann Lewis is a good, if often ignored, example of a strong female character; she stands up on her own, but she also gets her butt kicked when odds are against her and shows a more feminine, nurturing side when looking after Alex/Robo, so you can't say it's a typical macho action film either.

Dont get me wrong. I am a fan of the original Robocop. I just think that they spent too much time on the political satire and not enough time developing the man in the machine storyline.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2018, 19:50 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I take it you don't like Verhoeven's Starship Troopers either then

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2018, 19:59 
Honest fan
Honest fan

takeshi666 wrote:
I take it you don't like Verhoeven's Starship Troopers either then

No I don't like Starship Troopers.. not even a little.

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2018, 01:56 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

The first Terminator is underrated? What? It's one of the most renowned sci-fi movies of all time I thought.

RE Star Wars 7/8: Well, Rotten Tomatoes loves them and so to random people. They do get LOTs of hate though. I think reactions are fairly split on them.

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2018, 03:18 
Honest fan
Honest fan

gypsy wrote:
The first Terminator is underrated? What? It's one of the most renowned sci-fi movies of all time I thought.

RE Star Wars 7/8: Well, Rotten Tomatoes loves them and so to random people. They do get LOTs of hate though. I think reactions are fairly split on them.

T2 is the only terminator that is really good. I wouldn't say that any of the other movies are bad.. They just aren't any where near as good as T2.

The only people I ever hear hating on the new star wars are the true die hard fans. Personally I think the prequels are better then 7 and 8

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2018, 09:15 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

gypsy wrote:

I more meant in the context of T2. The Terminator is well regarded but totally overshadowed by the sequel when I (personally :) ) think the original is a stronger film. Also see Alien and Aliens.

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2018, 13:00 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

@Pizmo: Hmm, Episode 1 is pretty bad.

@hippie: I liked Aliens a bit better. They are completely different styles of movie though to be fair. Alien is this tense, sci-fi thriller. Aliens is bigger and cares more about world building. Both are pretty damn good films, imo. With Terminator, I would say I like the first one more, you are right though, most people would pick T2. Like the first two Alien movies they are both great.

I'll throw out some of my own now.

Overrated
Lawrence of Arabia
Donnie Darko
Napoleon Dynamite

Can't think of anything badly underrated right now, I'll edit in more if I think of anything. Just waking up.

Page 1 of 5 [ 84 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next