It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:55

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: Dune trailer dropped 09/09/2020 ......
PostPosted: 10 Sep 2020, 00:16 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Dene did it !

The "DUNE" trailer finally dropped only a few hours previous to this writing.

With a cast that would inspire even the most cynical amongst us !
(Had to go out on a limb !)

If and when movie theaters open again, may the whole story get traction for a long term production / telling in completion.

Duncan Idaho Lives !

Post subject: Re: Dune trailer dropped 09/09/2020 ......
PostPosted: 10 Sep 2020, 01:17 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Thank you water brother.

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2020, 03:33 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Thanks firehorse_44 :thumbup:

Really looking forward to this one.

all fades before melange

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2020, 13:22 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

I might see this but I've seen Lynch's which was better at aesthetic and environments. the world feels real. And the miniseries which was closer they say to the books but felt somewhat stale.
I wonder why they felt this needs to be remade. Everything seems to be marvel or dc these days and something different is at least a joy to see.

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2020, 14:30 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I think they felt it needed to be remade due to the fact that there are LOTS of books and they want to get in on that
film series cash cow.

While I do have to say after reading the books and then watching the lynch film it was nice but missed a lot of points, like the ending was just so wrong.
And they just cut it off for any sequel films.

Only thing is that I do prefer the gobjabar on the finger rather than a metal stick held in the hand, but I'll live with it.
Batista looks amazing as Rabban.

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2020, 01:03 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Here is the Dene and cast interview that coincides with the Trailer drop September 09.

Enjoy the electricity from the cast and director !

Cheers to the members.

Beware of hydrolic despotism......

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2020, 02:34 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I so hope this is going to be as good as it looks to be.

A great trailer & the reworked Eclipse on it really fits so well.

walk without rhythm

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2020, 03:12 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

je280 wrote:
I so hope this is going to be as good as it looks to be.

A great trailer & the reworked Eclipse on it really fits so well.

walk without rhythm

We will need to wait and see, however, consider Dene's track record.
This creative genius does NOTHING half a**ed.

During the September 9th Colbert interview, Chalamet stated that he only acted in two green screen scenes.
The entire rest of his scenes involved principle photography with "real" scenery.
This sums up Dene and separates him from the rest of the cg directors out there.

Also look at Dene's filmography accomplishments.
This speaks volumes imo.

When I read that he was working on a screenplay for Dune two years ago I experienced a quiver in my liver.
No, really, a chill literally went through my entire body and my liver did a jump.
Knew then and there that the planets had aligned and that this director was our "messiah" to deliver Dune to the down trodden masses....
Apologies for being dramatic, however that is how I felt at the time.

Then to see the cast assembled over the next year made this fantasy come to life nearly too good to be true !

The cat is not out of the bag yet, judgment must be subjective and based on the experience of Dene's creative project brought to fruition.

Until then, with much anticipation and with bated breath, we will just have to wait until the premiere........

Bless the Maker, in his coming and going......

Cheers mates

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2020, 18:09 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I know it is only the trailer but not really attracted to this DUNE version in any aspect,dont see the magic, i love the 1984 movie its atmosphera ,the cast...

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2020, 20:54 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Dune (2020 film)
Legendary Pictures
Distributed by Warner Bros. Pictures
Release date
December 18, 2020
Dune is an upcoming American epic science fiction film directed by Denis Villeneuve with a screenplay by Jon Spaihts, Villeneuve, and Eric Roth. The film is an international co-production of Canada, Hungary, the United Kingdom and the United States, and it is the ''first of a planned two-part adaptation'' of the 1965 novel of the same name by Frank Herbert, which will cover roughly the first half of the book, the first serial published in Analog magazine. The film stars an ensemble cast including Timothée Chalamet, Rebecca Ferguson, Oscar Isaac, Josh Brolin, Stellan Skarsgård, Dave Bautista, Stephen Henderson, Zendaya, David Dastmalchian, Chang Chen, Sharon Duncan-Brewster, Charlotte Rampling, Jason Momoa and Javier Bardem.

Dune is scheduled to be released in the United States in IMAX and 3D on December 18, 2020, by Warner Bros. Pictures.

I love the fact that this is going to be a two parter, and if done write the viewer who appreciates this material for what it truly is: Divine intervention.
The two parter should hopefully give enough time to build and to come to know each character as the story books truly intended, and I for one shall be watching this at the movie theatre and then purchase this on 4K Blu-Ray.

Sincerest Regards to all forum members.

:thumbup: :wave: :clap:

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2020, 17:39 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

https://news.avclub.com/alejandro-jodor ... 1845076523

Since I’m not a fan of any version of Dune I don’t have anything intelligent to say about it and I wasn’t going to post in this thread but today I read this and it was interesting.

“We can see that it is industrial cinema, that there is a lot of money, and that it was very expensive,” he said. “But if it was very expensive, it must pay in proportion. And that is the problem: There [are] no surprises. The form is identical to what is done everywhere. The lighting, the acting, everything is predictable.”

“Industrial cinema is incompatible with auteur cinema,” he continued. “For the former, money comes before. For the second, it’s the opposite, whatever the quality of a director, whether my friend Nicolas Winding Refn or Denis Villeneuve. Industrial cinema promotes entertainment, it is a show that is not intended to change humanity or society.””

In recent years mega studios have almost engineered out movies that won’t make their money back. Even when they are hated by almost everyone (Transformers, DC movies) make billions. This probably will too but I’d rather watch A Boy and His Dog or Moon. Movies designed to make $1B in China are always going to be Cirque du Soleil at the core. Quality is irrelevant.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2020, 22:38 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I really didn't like moon and feel it fits the auteur cinema.

But films like a boy and his dog or even slaughterhouse five don't fit any categories.

Films have always been made to fit a formula, if it doesn't then they can't make money, its all about the money.

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2020, 02:17 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

No, it’s not all about the money. It just is for most movies. Angel’s Egg didn’t make anyone rich and I don’t think anyone ever thought it would. The world needs all of it. Star Wars and Solaris.

I only mentioned Moon because it was popular. Slaughterhouse 5 is a better example or Fahrenheit 451, Brazil, Dark City, Idiocracy. Most of these were in fact to make money on some level, obviously not record breakers. With the entire planet occupied by capitalists you have no choice as an artist but to turn out some dough. These movies however, medium budget but genuine stuff, are almost forgotten. When he describes industrial cinema he’s talking about these movies with budgets so massive that they end up dragging the movie down due to the amount of...insurance..assurance...you need that the money will come back. With a movie as big as Marvel crossover stuff the movie becomes a AAA short term investment. They don’t give a guy $250M to make a movie that earns $260M. They want $1B. If you can’t deliver a movie that delivers like Transformers 4 then they will take their $250M and give it to some hack who will. If Dune has been chosen to be put through this meat grinder of compromise then it might still turn out fine. Some genres just need $$$ to exist, and these days adaptations are more likely to be oppressively faithful to a flaw and less like...The Running Man or even The Shining. It might be Justice League though. Dune is hella bleak and I’m not sure if that’s actually such a license to print money. It could be another John Carter of Mars.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2020, 16:44 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Interesting thoughts and opinions.

Very thankful for all the members comments, not because I rarely host a topic, because of the wide spectrum of thoughts regarding a remaking in cinema of a literary titan.

Herbert was passed over several times by publishers when attempting to get his Dune universe distributed.

Even Robert A. Heinlein was put off with rejections and forced editing early in his writing career.
Virginia Heinlein released Stranger and a Strange Land posthumously circa 1988 restoring the cut copy to its original glory that Mr. Heinlein intended.

I received the Dune Trilogy box from my mother when in the fifth grade.
Finally read the three Dune novels and Lord of the Rings in middle school.

Reread all six Dune books several times since.

So I am biased with my visceral wishes to see the Dene version.
Honestly, I was so disappointed with the Lynch and English versions, was just left wishing more.

Will Dene's creation be worth the "investment" ?
Will there be more installments ?

I do not pretend to know and I choose not to speculate.

The reason I contributed this link was to share my excitement and anticipation being a fan of Frank Herbert .
He has a ton of books out since the 1960's, I reccomend them highly.

Cheers

James

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ]