It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 03:53

Page 1 of 1 [ 18 posts ] 
 Post subject: Review: Napoli la Camorra Sfida la Città' Risponde (1979)
PostPosted: 29 Nov 2020, 00:33 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Lifted from my Letterboxd diary. This film is available for 'free' from Jeff if you subscribe to his delivery service. More importantly a blu ray world premiere is due imminently from Raro USA. :thumbup:

------------------

Oh yes. Oh YES! WHAT. A. FILM! BRAVO!

I do love a good 1970's Italian crime film. The incessant chain smoking, the Alfa Romeo's, the bars and restaurants, magnificent flares whose bell bottoms span the width of several city canals, flamboyant disco scenes. I could go on but I needn't, suffice that this film has it all and more!

The story is essentially a revenge tale of a city fed up with being pushed around by crime and racketeering. The mobsters push and push to get their way until finally the citizens snap and take back their livelihoods!

The simplicity of the story is only enhanced further by some tremendous direction and photography. You get it all here, the guerilla style shots so beloved by directors like Paul Greengrass mix it up with superb vehicle-mounted angles and great pans and zooms typical of the era. The finale is captured exceptionally well, giving a sense of panic, claustrophobia and high energy urgency.

You get a typical, dramatic and forceful score to accompany the action (as well as some absolutely mega disco music) which never really veers toward being anywhere over the top, taking nothing away from the rest of the film.

The cast turn in some good performances. There's a couple of so-so moments but nothing you'd find yourself cringing or facepalming at. Mario Merola turns in an especially outstanding performance as the no-nonsense shipyard owner who will absolutely and under no circumstances take any BS!

As the film progresses the tension builds and builds until the final climax unfolds in a blaze of what can only be described as total and utter, full fat, full beans, no holds barred ultraviolence that only Italian films of the 1970's could deliver. The final fight is quite literally pure, unadulterated violence on a biblical scale!

I went in to this film completely blind and I am so glad I did. It's tremendous. A huge success all around. I understand a blu ray release is due imminently. I'll be first in line to snap up a copy.

What. A. Film.

Epic.

9000/10

Post subject: Re: Review: Napoli la Camorra Sfida la Città' Risponde (1979
PostPosted: 03 Dec 2020, 18:24 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

The artwork is up for the pre-order. Even if this single, solitary Blu Ray is 9 jillion Pesetas + Heartbreak Tax, I'd pre-order (doesn't give a release date though). That cover photo on the sleeve just says it all.

Pure. 1970's. Italian. Cinema. Ultraviolence!

https://www.rarovideousa.com/films/pre-order-only-napoli-la-camorra-sfida-la-citt-risponde-naplesthe-camorra-challenges-the-city-hits-back-1979-directed-by-alfonso-brescia

If the $29.99 is a little urgent for you (and given the time of year as well as the year we've all just experienced it may well be for many) and you have access to Jeff's streaming service, it's 'free' there on that (on his UK web site at least) with the old SD version.

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2021, 09:09 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

This bloomin' film STILL isn't out on Blu Ray yet. :cry:

Just spotted this though from Arrow which may well tide any fellow Poliziotteschi or Giallo film fans over! Seems a fitting place to post this?

YEARS OF LEAD. :clap:

I think the most interesting title in this box is Massimo Dallamano's ultraviolent Colt 38. Also you get another whopper from Speed Driver director Stelvio Massi in the form of Highway Racer! This looks like an instabuy, especially for 1970's Italian crime film fanatics. :thumbup:

Last edited by teddanson on 06 Nov 2021, 07:57, edited 1 time in total. _________________
Blog: The Coterie / L'boxd: Diary
Pioneer CLD-R7G, CLD-D925 | Yamaha APD-2 | DVDO Edge, VP50 Pro

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2021, 15:51 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Just an interesting titbit on Colt 38. This would be Massimo Dallamano's last film. Released in July 1976, he died in November 1976 aged just 59.

The film grossed 1,285,707,500 Lira on it's Italian release alone in 1976. Around €40 million in 2021 adjusted for inflation and converted from Lira to Euro. That's pretty impressive!

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2021, 09:54 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Just by way of update in case anyone is looking to get a copy of the Years Of Lead box set, my copy arrived from the USA yesterday (with added heartbreak tax alas).

Make sure you check that the box set you are getting is the limited edition version as that has an absolutely stupendous book included in it. Full of 1970's Italian crime film goodness. You don't want to miss out on that!

So about the USA box set and Arrow 'hard locking' the set to Region A so you can't tamper with the chapter branching in order to see uncensored versions of films outside the intended region...

I can confirm that I am able to play both Region A and B (i didn't test Region C but I can if anyone wants me to) versions. The discs are Region All, even though they are 'hard locked', yet the disc despite playing as normal, will branch off depending on the region your player is set to. I tested this with my modchipped Panasonic UB820 player and got the following results:

1. If you set the player to Region A and play the Savage Three disc, it goes straight in to the film from the main menu and you will see the uncut version of the film.

2. If you set the player to Region B and play the Savage Three disc, a black screen with white text appears before the start of the film (after the main menu) explaining that the film is censored by the BBFC. You will then see the cut version of the film.

I haven't examined the disc in terms of how it's been authored yet, this means there may be a way to dump the discs and get the uncut version of Savage Three. I will have to do more tests. One thing is for certain though, if you wish to purchase the uncut Sister Street Fighter Collection, you can only get that by purchasing the USA release. There is no way around it as separate discs have been authored for Region A and B (again, not sure about Region C).

Here's the USA set I received below. Unfortunately the Region B release appears to be out of stock and possibly out of print now, in Limited Edition form at least. So for now your best bet is the USA edition. Hope all of the aforementioned is of help to someone. :thumbup:

EDIT: Side note - No, Raro USA still haven't released Napoli la Camorra Sfida la Città' Risponde on Blu Ray yet!!! :(

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2021, 18:06 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Next week it will have been a year exactly since the glorious moment my innocent eyes drank in all of the wonderment and sheer majesty that is Napoli la Camorra Sfida la Città' Risponde.

A year.

A bloody year!

And still no Blu Ray from Raro USA.

This post is to mark the occasion and will be repeated every year until Raro USA actually release it for all to enjoy. I even wrote to the feckers and they never replied to me. I'm going to go all Andy Dufresne on their asses and write them TWO letters a week asking where the Blu Ray is until they either a) cave in and release it or b) take out an injunction against me. :mrgreen:

Here's a screenshot to tide you over of Mario Merola mid-losing his sh*t in the shipyard in Napoli la Camorra Sfida la Città' Risponde. Until November 2022 so... :thumbup:

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2022, 15:09 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Possibly HUGE news awaits in the world of Napoli La Camorra Sfida La Citta Risponde!

It seems like Raro USA have announced another Polizio to be released on September 27th this year. Hopefully after 2+ years of silence, this may indicate the cogs are turning again at Raro HQ and all their announced titles from 2 years ago will finally see the light of day including the mighty Napoli La Camorra Sfida La Citta Risponde!

If they are back in business I'll up my nagging email from 2 emails per week to 3. :D

https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=30960

Reasons to be cheerful? The Great Kidnapping was originally announced at the same time as Napoli La Camorra Sfida La Citta Risponde!

Say it out loud to yourself, don't be ashamed, Mario Merola is (hopefully still) on his way to a Blu Ray player near you, and he's an angry SOB, ready to crush some mobster skulls like paper cups! Giddyup!!! :thumbup:

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2022, 12:19 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

Any news about "Napoli La Camorra Sfida La Citta Risponde!"?

Put in my preorder ages ago with raro but it's been silent ever since. Tried emailing them about an update but didn't even get a reply.

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2022, 21:29 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Nothing yet, other than Raro breaking silence with those couple of Blu Ray releases penned for this year.

I've not heard a thing from them in response to my barrage of emails either alas.

Let's hope that we will get the legendary Mario Merola kicking butt and busting skulls open like the gung-ho shipyard owner he is very soon! I can't wait much longer for this superb hyperfilm! :thumbup:

Here's another screenshot for you and the rest of us Napoli La Camorra Sfida La Citta Risponde! fans while we wait anxiously for more news from Raro USA! :)

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2022, 09:25 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Just thought to add that genre fans might want to add this one to their radars. Romolo Guerrieri's absolutely SUPREME hyperfilm Young Violent Dangerous.

I think I mentioned something about this film on LDDB a couple of years back when I first saw it. This is another one you absolutely do not want to miss, it is excellent but quite different from the wonderful Napoli la Camorra Sfida la Città' Risponde.

Pre-order link below, but again you may be waiting about 87 years for it. :shifty:

https://www.rarovideousa.com/films/youn ... -guerrieri

If you want to buy something on the Raro USA label that actually physically exists, while you wait for the aforementioned two films, please do make sure you pick up a copy of Domenico Paolella's astonishlingly good magnum opus, Stunt Squad. Again, I've mentioned this one before and you absolutely need to watch this one if only for the magnificent end sequence. I recall getting up from my chair during the end credits to give my television and Blu Ray player a standing ovation to thank them for bringing this film to my eyes and ears, it's that good!

As Roberto Curti wrote in his 2006 book 'Italia odia: il cinema poliziesco italiano', the character of Valli, played by Vittorio Mezzogiorno, was defined as "perhaps the most gruesome and ruthless villain of the Italian crime cinema." He's absolutely correct! Which is why the end sequence is all the more brilliant! Great film! :clap:

You can buy it here, although given Raro USA's silence for the last 2 years you might be better off going somewhere else to purchase a copy.

https://www.rarovideousa.com/films/w61m ... nt%20squad

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2022, 16:16 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

The status on the raro orderpage for this movie has now changed to “sold out”.
Don’t want to read too much into this but hope this means it’s finally moving into production!! :angel: :angel:

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2023, 00:24 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I hope it isn't sold out. They still haven't replied to the 2 emails a week I've been sending them!

I don't know what I'd do if I miss out on this Blu Ray. 3 years waiting almost. :cry:

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2023, 20:20 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

Update!

Had a short email conversation with raro. Had to go through minerva pictures and fortunately I speak/write Italian otherwise I don’t know if I would have received a reply.

Anyway…

This movie is definitely coming out, it has not been cancelled. An exact date has however not been set yet for the production/release so we have to continue waiting.

I know it’s not much but at least we have a sign of life given that all communication is non existant and practically every title on the rarousa site is now “sold out.”

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2023, 22:46 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

This is the best possible start to 2023 (in terms of film news). Amazing you got a response from them.

...on the other hand, they probably blocked or ignored me for asking them when it's coming out every 5 minutes. :lol:

Brilliant news though to hear it is definitely coming. I literally cannot wait! Hurry up Raro!

Seeing as you speak Italian and they seem to like you more than me, can you ask them if they would mind doing a Blu Ray of Speed Driver too please? Tell them I promise I'll be extra good if they do!!! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2023, 15:35 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

teddanson wrote:
This is the best possible start to 2023 (in terms of film news). Amazing you got a response from them.

...on the other hand, they probably blocked or ignored me for asking them when it's coming out every 5 minutes. :lol:

Brilliant news though to hear it is definitely coming. I literally cannot wait! Hurry up Raro!

Seeing as you speak Italian and they seem to like you more than me, can you ask them if they would mind doing a Blu Ray of Speed Driver too please? Tell them I promise I'll be extra good if they do!!! :mrgreen:

I forwarded your question as soon as I get an answer I will report here :)

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2023, 17:51 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Make sure to tell them the part about me promising to be extra good for the rest of my life I promise.

That should swing it. :lol:

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2023, 10:12 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

So this is a little odd. The Raro USA web site is still marking everything as 'sold out', yet the label just announced a brand new restoration of Milano Calibre 9 coming out in June?

https://www.amazon.com/Caliber-9-Blu-ray/dp/B0C2J919BH

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2023, 14:20 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

i don't know man....things seem awfully quiet. Didn't get anymore responses after my last email with the title requested by you.
Let's hope for the best... :(

Page 1 of 1 [ 18 posts ]