It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 09:43

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Whatis the best USA Letterboxed StarWars Laserdisc 1989-1994
PostPosted: 13 Jan 2021, 04:19 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

This has been a topic that has been troubling me for some time now, and its about time I seek clarification.

In 1989, the United States got their first letterboxed transfer of Star Wars on Laserdisc. Pressed by Pioneer USA/Japan. It also saw The Empire Strikes Back, pressed again by Pioneer USA, and Mitsubishi and Technidisc. A year later, saw Return of the Jedi, pressed by Pioneer USA/Japan, Mitsubishi and Technidisc once again.

In 1992, Star Wars was re-released again due to the shrinking ratio issue found in the 89'. It was pressed by Mitsubishi in 1992, and re-pressed by Technidisc in 1993 and 1994.

So after all that, what is the best copy to get? I've heard mixed emotions on all of them from various sources, but I'll like to hear your opinions on them so I can finally make a purchase.

Kind Regards
STARWARS

Last edited by starwars on 13 Jan 2021, 11:08, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Whatis the best USA Letterboxed StarWars Laserdisc 1989-
PostPosted: 13 Jan 2021, 07:32 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hello!

Did you search the forum for Star Wars topics first?

This has already been discussed A LOT before. Ex:

Japanese "Special Collection" editions of Star Wars
Star Wars: The Definitive Collection - Best pressing?

Answer: get the Japanese "Special Collection" CAV trilogy, with original movie posters, etc.

Julien

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2021, 08:52 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I was also going to recommend the JSCs, but I didn't want to sound biased because I already have them :D

Although to be fair, maybe the english subtitles for the alien dialogue is a dealbreaker for him.

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2021, 11:02 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

admin wrote:
Hello!

Did you search the forum for Star Wars topics first?

This has already been discussed A LOT before. Ex:

Japanese "Special Collection" editions of Star Wars
Star Wars: The Definitive Collection - Best pressing?

Answer: get the Japanese "Special Collection" CAV trilogy, with original movie posters, etc.

Julien

Sorry about that, still learning and discovering the features of the forum. :shifty:

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2021, 11:18 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

I've got the Japanese Special Editions already but I'm also interested in the US letterboxed editions too as I've heard that they're also good :thumbup: :shh: But I don't know what pressing I should get (Pioneer USA/JAPAN, Mitsubishi, or Technidisc) :?

Last edited by starwars on 14 Jan 2021, 03:10, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2021, 12:06 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Well if Culturedog is to be believed, you'll probably want the Technidisc pressings since at least ANH is supposed to have a different transfer. Technidisc is also notorious for having more crosstalk so that's the tradeoff.

Also the Special Collections and Special Editions are very much not the same thing, so we need to be clear about that.

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2021, 14:05 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

takeshi666 wrote:
Well if Culturedog is to be believed, you'll probably want the Technidisc pressings since at least ANH is supposed to have a different transfer. Technidisc is also notorious for having more crosstalk so that's the tradeoff.

Also the Special Collections and Special Editions are very much not the same thing, so we need to be clear about that.

Technidisc for three films :?:

The Special Collections and Special Editions are very much alike, considering the Special Editions were based off the Special Collections. How else could the shrinking ratio have occurred? :?

The only thing that differentiates them, is the technical features. At least for the CBS FOX releases (1989-1990).

Last edited by starwars on 14 Jan 2021, 03:05, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2021, 14:46 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

starwars wrote:
The Special Collections and Special Editions are very much alike

lol wat

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2021, 17:37 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

starwars wrote:
The Special Collections and Special Editions are very much alike, considering the Special Editions were based off the Special Collections. How else could the shrinking ratio have occurred? :?

You've no idea what you're talking about, do you?

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2021, 01:14 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

Please clarify :!: :!:

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2021, 01:35 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

starwars wrote:

The special editions are the 1997 versions with cgi alterations. It's obvious those aren't the same as early releases which are classed as "original" versions of the films. That's why the last run of the pre-SE VHS tapes had last time to get original version of Star Wars (or that sort of thing anyway, I would have to pull my tapes out) on them.

Special collection LD releases are from much earlier, like mid 80's or whatever.

Edit:
As a Star Wars fan (but not an avid LD collector) I have to tell you that you are better off watching 35mm scans, like the 4k projects... 4K77, 4K83.
I'm not sure if Empire has been done properly yet though.
There is an earlier "grindhouse" 1080p scan of Empire, but then there are also Harmy's Despecialized editions of OT.

If you want Star Wars LD's just get what packaging you like, there are a heap of different ones. I think all of mine are Japanese but I don't have anything fancy like one of the box sets.

Probably the only Star Wars thing truly worth having (picture wise) is Phantom Menace LD.
The quality is quite good and it's the original theatrical version. Cheap and easy enough to find

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2021, 02:03 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

deadlegion wrote:
starwars wrote:

The special editions are the 1997 versions with cgi alterations. It's obvious those aren't the same as early releases which are classed as "original" versions of the films. That's why the last run of the pre-SE VHS tapes had last time to get original version of Star Wars (or that sort of thing anyway, I would have to pull my tapes out) on them.

Special collection LD releases are from much earlier, like mid 80's or whatever.

Edit:
As a Star Wars fan (but not an avid LD collector) I have to tell you that you are better off watching 35mm scans, like the 4k projects... 4K77, 4K83.
I'm not sure if Empire has been done properly yet though.
There is an earlier "grindhouse" 1080p scan of Empire, but then there are also Harmy's Despecialized editions of OT.

If you want Star Wars LD's just get what packaging you like, there are a heap of different ones. I think all of mine are Japanese but I don't have anything fancy like one of the box sets.

Probably the only Star Wars thing truly worth having (picture wise) is Phantom Menace LD.
The quality is quite good and it's the original theatrical version. Cheap and easy enough to find

I understand that the "Special Editions" are CGI alterations made in 1997 to supposedly "better enhance to film". But I'm simply referring to the Special "Widescreen" Edition released prior to 1997. I guess I forgot to mention the widescreen part. Picture:

Attachments:
File comment: Star Wars (1989)
vldanhlbfront.jpg
vldanhlbfront.jpg [ 172.32 KiB | Viewed 2010 times ]
File comment: Star Wars Re-Release (1992)
vldanhwsefront2.jpg
vldanhwsefront2.jpg [ 170.22 KiB | Viewed 2010 times ]
File comment: The Empire Strikes Back (1989)
vldesbwsfront3.jpg
vldesbwsfront3.jpg [ 141.56 KiB | Viewed 2010 times ]
File comment: Return of the Jedi (1990)
vldrotjwsfront4.jpg
vldrotjwsfront4.jpg [ 139.17 KiB | Viewed 2010 times ]

Last edited by starwars on 14 Jan 2021, 03:06, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2021, 02:04 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

As far as cover art is concerned personally I think the Japanese versions of faces releases look nice.
eg
Star Wars: A New Hope (1977) [PILF-2076]

There are other releases worth having for the covers, like earlier versions with covers like the film poster art.
eg
Star Wars: A New Hope (1977) [PILF-1236]

Some people like the US faces covers, but to me they look like the covers of cheap kids colouring books. I don't mean to offend anyone by that, it's just how I feel about them.
eg
Star Wars: A New Hope (1977) [8763-85]

Phantom Menace Japanese release:
Star Wars: The Phantom Menace (1999) [PILF-2830]

Edit:
Just in case you aren't aware of it, the obi strip (down the left side) on Japanese releases is not part of the cover art. It can be removed for display purposes if you prefer. Unlike the covers on the widescreen releases you posted which have strips interfering with the art.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2021, 02:16 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Good luck finding the seller who can figure out and differentiate the versions that they have for sale.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2021, 02:19 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

rein-o wrote:
Good luck finding the seller who can figure out and differentiate the versions that they have for sale.

If a seller can take decent pictures then you can figure that out by using the DB here.
In my case the seller took good pics plus knew all about the ID codes and had a pretty good idea about different versions of films, although I don't think he was into Star Wars... idk.

Edit:
If the OP actually lives in Australia and doesn't have any really good contacts in the US then probably better off going for Japanese widescreen versions with subs outside picture. Will be cheaper and easier to find nice copies of whatever release.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2021, 02:25 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

So you all recommend I go for Technidisc?

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2021, 05:00 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Well the JSCs are a lot easier to acquire since you won't have to bug the sellers about the mint marks. They are more expensive than the widescreen collection ones, but they are in CAV, and if you were that concerned about money, you wouldn't have gotten into Laserdisc would you?

The only source for the Technidisc releases looking better is Culturedog, and while I don't question him, I would personally like to see the difference for myself before purchase, but that'd be even more difficult. If I were that concerned about it, I'd probably just buy both releases and sell the ones I didn't like. If there's one thing Star Wars on LD has going on for it, it's that there's always someone buying them, unlike the remaining 99.99% of laserdiscs ever made.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2021, 05:14 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I suspect the OP doesn't know much about LD potential rotters, mint marks etc.
I could be wrong. But an Aussie asking about US LD SW releases specifically seems odd when, as I already said, Japanese versions are usually cheaper and easier to obtain here.

Japanese generally take better care of their stuff. Not always, but just generally speaking.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2021, 05:50 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

As I've said already, I own the Japanese Special Collection already, as a Laserdisc collector money is not an issue. But I also want a US variant and I've heard that this version is the best. To save to trouble, I'll just get all of them, and decide from there. :thumbup: :thumbup:

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2021, 06:11 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

starwars wrote:
As I've said already, I own the Japanese Special Collection already, as a Laserdisc collector money is not an issue. But I also want a US variant and I've heard that this version is the best. To save to trouble, I'll just get all of them, and decide from there. :thumbup: :thumbup:

If you collect LD (or other stuff like HD-DVD etc included in the DB) please consider adding what you have to your collection list on lddb, that way someone like myself can easily look up what you have instead of asking or trying to remember :)

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next