It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 03:09

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: The 'Paper tat that's included in Patlabor AC-3' thread
PostPosted: 02 May 2021, 15:34 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I got Patlabor AC-3 this week. Yes, everyone in the world (even Meryl Streep, Jeff Bridges, Don Mattingly, Steve Sax, Darryl Strawberry, Mordecai Three Finger Brown, Carl Yastrzemski and Jose Canseco) agrees that Patlabor 1 and Patlabor 2 are possibly the finest animated films ever made (especially Patlabor 2).

Anyway. Both of the AC-3 releases come with a lot of paper tat. As well as beautiful full colour booklets (not pictured). Patlabor 2 has a bigger advert booklet than Patlabor 1 by the way.

I wonder who won the AC-3 receiver? Is the receiver they gave away as a prize any good? Oh and also some of the other prizes sound great. Calendars and books and so on. Only 100 copies of each were given away and the star prize was in gold or silver but you couldn't choose what colour, it was whatever was given to you. Who won? :think:

Here's the paper tat (both sides of each piece of tat) that came with Patlabor 1. I'll do Patlabor 2 another day.

Post subject: Re: The 'Paper tat that's included in Patlabor AC-3' thread
PostPosted: 03 May 2021, 15:56 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Ha! Steve Sax was my favorite baseball player as a kid growing up in LA....odd reference but made me chuckle :)

PostPosted: 03 May 2021, 16:43 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

teddanson wrote:
agrees that Patlabor 1 and Patlabor 2 are possibly the finest animated films ever made (especially Patlabor 2).

:wtf: wow I somehow love anime but miss out on this type of stuff.
I've never actually seen any Patlabor but in the past year I've been horribly disappointed with anime that I haven't seen or haven't
seen in many years.

I will check this out but due to my anime tastes being super old school I may be let down :|

PostPosted: 03 May 2021, 17:57 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

rein-o wrote:
teddanson wrote:
agrees that Patlabor 1 and Patlabor 2 are possibly the finest animated films ever made (especially Patlabor 2).

:wtf: wow I somehow love anime but miss out on this type of stuff.
I've never actually seen any Patlabor but in the past year I've been horribly disappointed with anime that I haven't seen or haven't
seen in many years.

I will check this out but due to my anime tastes being super old school I may be let down :|

You can watch the OVA series as background for the two films, the only two films that exist, IMO. The TV show is fine but it’s not essential. In fact the movies stand on their own very well.

Patlabor 2 is quite possibly the best anime feature film of all time when seen on its own as a movie. Oshii rules and this movie embarrasses a lot of Hollywood spy thrillers that tried to be half this good. When Patlabor 2 was brand new I worked at a video storing lending out stuff like The Firm and The Pelican Brief or The Net. Hilariously inarticulate pap by comparison. I give it my highest recommendation. A total masterpiece. It helped make me the snob I am today.

It is VERY dialogue heavy for anyone, even Japanese. Because of this I’d say subtitles or the original Manga dub are nearly essential for enjoyment. The OVA/TV is simple but the movies are thick with plot and everyone in the movie mumbles! Part 1 isn’t as much like that but part 2 for sure is.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 03 May 2021, 18:12 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I like how 4 out of 6 ballplayers mentioned were in the Simpsons episode!

Patlabor's been on my "I'll undoubtedly get to it eventually" pile for years.

That guy in the lower left corner of the DVD ad seems really excited about DVD. I can't read most of what he says, but the last sentence says, "The future is in your hands." ("The future" of course is smaller, less-cool covers and no lossless audio options for a while.) Guessing the cartoon is intended to illustrate the format's space consolidation potential?

PostPosted: 03 May 2021, 18:24 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

A number of late Bandai Visual LDs seem to contain flyers for DVD versions of the very movie you just payed $80 for.

PostPosted: 03 May 2021, 21:29 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
Patlabor 2 is quite possibly the best anime feature film of all time when seen on its own as a movie. Oshii rules and this movie embarrasses a lot of Hollywood spy thrillers that tried to be half this good.

Precisely this.

Patlabor 1 is a very fine film in it's own right. Patlabor 2 though, dear God, it really is anime at the absolute pinnacle of excellence.

It's not for everyone, and I don't mean that in a derogatory sense rather we all enjoy different genres; and yes there is a LOT of dialogue in this film.

Yet it builds and builds and builds until the pay off at the end just makes the entire film worth it. It's a colossal success of a film on every single level imho. There are very few films that are level pegging on the sheer royalty level of excellence that Patlabor 2 is nestled firmly in to. That's without even mentioning the soundtrack which is one of the finest works of all time in any anime, no contest.

Subtitled all the way for most anime for me, bar some classics like Akira 1988 Dub, Angel Cop, Cyber City Oedo 808, Urotsukidoji and Mad Bull 34. If you are not native tongue or fluent Japanese I'd just go subbed for Patlabor 1 and 2.

If you can get it for a reasonable price just go all in for the Blu Ray box set, that way you get everything in one big pile of goodness apart from Next Generation.

I'd just watch the three films first in their own right and do the TV series and OAV's afterwards.

PostPosted: 03 May 2021, 21:33 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rcarlson wrote:
I like how 4 out of 6 ballplayers mentioned were in the Simpsons episode!

Quiet or I'll send you back to the big leagues!

...and for God sake trim those sideburns!

PostPosted: 03 May 2021, 23:42 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

teddanson wrote:
signofzeta wrote:
Patlabor 2 is quite possibly the best anime feature film of all time when seen on its own as a movie. Oshii rules and this movie embarrasses a lot of Hollywood spy thrillers that tried to be half this good.

Precisely this.

Patlabor 1 is a very fine film in it's own right. Patlabor 2 though, dear God, it really is anime at the absolute pinnacle of excellence.

It's not for everyone, and I don't mean that in a derogatory sense rather we all enjoy different genres; and yes there is a LOT of dialogue in this film.

Yet it builds and builds and builds until the pay off at the end just makes the entire film worth it. It's a colossal success of a film on every single level imho. There are very few films that are level pegging on the sheer royalty level of excellence that Patlabor 2 is nestled firmly in to. That's without even mentioning the soundtrack which is one of the finest works of all time in any anime, no contest.

Subtitled all the way for most anime for me, bar some classics like Akira 1988 Dub, Angel Cop, Cyber City Oedo 808, Urotsukidoji and Mad Bull 34. If you are not native tongue or fluent Japanese I'd just go subbed for Patlabor 1 and 2.

If you can get it for a reasonable price just go all in for the Blu Ray box set, that way you get everything in one big pile of goodness apart from Next Generation.

I'd just watch the three films first in their own right and do the TV series and OAV's afterwards.

You can for sure skip the third movie until after you’ve seen everything else or just forever.

PostPosted: 03 May 2021, 23:58 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I dunno about forever. It's definitely not in the same league as the first two films but is entertaining in it's own right once you get used to the art style and the fact Noa and co hardly feature in it.

Pick it up in the Blu box for maximum ROI. :thumbup:

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]