It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 09:57

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Football (or Soccer, not that 'other' football) Laserdiscs?
PostPosted: 11 Jul 2021, 09:23 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Seeing as England are (hopefully) bringing football (not soccer, nobody knows what that is) back to it's rightful home today (the modern game was founded in England in 1863 so forget all that other cobblers about ancient Greece, Rome and medieval folks boxing the heads off of each other with a pig bladder), I wondered what football (not soccer) Laserdiscs are out there?

I have one disc in my collection, Soccer :sick: - The Game Of The Century, which is alright but has a bit of rot. Has anyone tried some of the Japan titles? Is there anything more obscure, maybe from Europe, detailing leagues like Serie A, La Liga, Ligue 1 etc? Anyone have some good recommendations?

Enjoy the match tonight if you are watching it. I shall be spending some time today playing USA '94 and Sensible Soccer on the Super Famicom followed by watching the 1966 World Cup Final in colour on Channel 4 this afternoon. Come on England! :clap:

Post subject: Re: Football (or Soccer, not that 'other' football) Laserdis
PostPosted: 12 Jul 2021, 13:18 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

Why they couldn't call Football something else so we're left soccer in the US is beyond me. Though I don't care too much if its called football or soccer since I grew more with it being called soccer than football but really Football should change to something else and it's a more dangerous sport than football/soccer ever is. We left just to be different. since 1776.

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2021, 15:36 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

xtempo wrote:
Why they couldn't call Football something else so we're left soccer in the US is beyond me. Though I don't care too much if its called football or soccer since I grew more with it being called soccer than football but really Football should change to something else and it's a more dangerous sport than football/soccer ever is. We left just to be different. since 1776.

:lol:

I'd love to read any particular recommended book(s) on the history of American Football and why it was called that instead of something else. I don't really favour the term gridiron either, it just sounds a bit more like the name of an extreme mathematics convention than a sport.

I do lose the head when people start banging on about Rounders being some sort of majesterial forefather of baseball. Yes and no. Anyone who'd watched Ken Burn's fantastic 972,000 hour PBS documentary about baseball would come away with a far better appreciation of the sport. The USA may have a much younger history than many other nations across the globe but, solely focusing on baseball (not wanting to get in to politics and all the rest of it!), the history is very rich and very interesting (if not also loaded with scandal, the latest being Gerrit Cole's obsession with superglue :lol:).

You could call American Football something like, I dunno, Capital One Bank presents Rugby: American Style brought to you by Arby's, Tri State Ford and Meryl Streep's Versatility: Smell Like Streep, For Cheap!. :thumbup:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2021, 16:52 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Putting aside any of the relative merits and demerits of various varieties of football, here's the simple explanation of football/soccer naming history:

They have the same name because they used to be the same sport.

And here's the longer one:

You start with a vague primordial form of football/soccer/rugby played at English schools called "football," which at some point becomes divided into two distinct sports: one where you're allowed to pick up the ball, and one where you aren't. When the latter is codified by the Football Association, it takes on the name "association football." The former is prominent at the Rugby school, and takes on the name "Rugby football." Note that from this point on, both association football and Rugby football are both simply called "football" in locales where each is the most common. The nickname "soccer" derives from the word "association," and originates from "Oxford '-er' slang." (It is a common misconception that "soccer" is an Americanism; the term in fact originated in England.)

Rugby traveled to the US and Canada and caught on at colleges, and was widely simply called "football." Gradually in the US and Canada (in parallel evolution) the rules began to change (most importantly with the addition of the system of downs and the forward pass), but these were considered changes to the rules of the sport rather than the creation of a new sport at each stage, so the name never changed.

While there may have been pockets of Americans in the past who called soccer "football," and others who continued to play rugby proper and call it "football" even as most followed the new rule changes, as American football became ubiquitous it would become a practical necessity to call the other varieties of football by more specific names, namely soccer and rugby. (The situation in Canada is a bit more complicated, but it boils down to similar changes to rugby as in America except pushed back a few decades in each case.)

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2021, 17:13 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Dear God that's a headmelter! Also, I did not know that the term 'soccer' originated in England. This paper makes for intriguing reading:

http://ns.umich.edu/Releases/2014/June1 ... soccer.pdf

With all of that said, and putting it all aside for just a minute, just how the hell did Diana Ross miss an open goal at USA '94? :lol:

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2021, 18:33 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

New Order made some new World In Motion shirts recently. I got it in red, didn’t wear it out until the day of the laser pointer incident. I figured it was now or never...and I was right. It’s never. :)

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2021, 20:16 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
I figured it was now or never...and I was right. It’s never. :)

:cry:

Roll on the corrupt sock-er World Cup that is Qatar 2022! #ItsComingHome

Side note: John Barnes is a legend. One of my favourite sock-er players of all time (and I'm not a Liverpool supporter). I had the pleasure (along with some equally soused chums) of screaming the 'John Barnes Rap' lyrics from World In Motion at him from the stands as he walked to the dugout right in front of us for a friendly game between Jamaica and the Cayman Islands (in Grand Cayman) a few years back.

Followed by "Barnsey! Give us a wave! Barnesy Barnesy give us a wave!" repeatedly until he submitted, stuck his arm aloft in the air and was greeted by cheers, airhons and furious applause!

Top bloke. A sock-er legend. :thumbup:

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]