It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 12:48

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: Huge cache of drugs found stashed away on LDDb...
PostPosted: 19 Jul 2021, 21:16 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

So I recently completed collecting all of the Virtual Drug titles. I have them all (sort of) across Laserdisc, DVD and Blu Ray and thought to share them with folks here who might be curious to see them all collected together.

I don't have the titles on VHS, nor did I buy the DVD's as they are the same as the Laserdisc releases. The only difference being the VHS editions came with an incense burner and incense sticks. I do have VR Cyberdelia on VHS and some other VHS tapes I've shown before though not pictured here. VR Cyberdelia is actually Virtual Drug Ecstasy rebadged for the UK market. The DVD's shown here are format exclusives (Joy, 2000 and Cosmic Enigma). Altovision is the only Blu Ray exclusive title to date.

Also thought to show the Virtual Trip collection I've started with Bali. I hope to collect all of the Virtual Trip titles over time, though there are a LOT of them! Also there's a couple of Jeff Mills DVD's in there, Blue Potential and The Exhibitionist, and a Video Drug Laserdisc for good measure. I think I have all of the Mind's Eye titles here too though may be wrong. Oh and Infinite Escher and Thursday Afternoon (that Julien gave me a heads up on)!

Rounding out the brain altering video fun is my 99% complete set of Mind Control Laserdiscs, 4 out of 5 titles completed (there is also another title on VHS which might have a Laserdisc release, I'm not sure yet), and the beautiful Luminous Flight on Laserdisc, of which I also have the soundtrack on CD too, the original 1985 disc I bought after watching the LD.

I hope others here enjoy these mind bending discs as much as I do. They took a long time to collect, a good few years!

Post subject: Re: Huge cache of drugs found stashed away on LDDB...
PostPosted: 19 Jul 2021, 21:40 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

your favorite disc?

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2021, 21:49 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Oh God that's impossible! They are all so different. :crazy:

I haven't watched all of the Mind Control discs yet as I need to do some research first before watching them. Everything else though I have watched through.

To randomly pick a few highlights I'd say:

Flash + Zone
Luminous Flight
Gate To The Mind's Eye
Cosmic Enigma
Altovision

Also Jeff Mills The Exhibitionist for any budding pure techno, Detroit techno, Axis fans out there. If you like that stuff then Jeff Mills would be a familiar name to you already. I had the pleasure of seeing him DJ a few times along with Dave Clarke, Dave Angel, Underworld and more on the same bill. Deck magicians!

I love all the discs, they're all unique in their own ways. I just picked a few there as gateway drugs! :lol:

Edit: I should add as well that The Exhibitionist is the only DVD I have ever owned that actually uses multiple camera angles that you can select during playback. I am sure other DVD's are out there but I've not seen one yet. It's a great double disc set.

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2021, 09:19 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I'm a big fan of the Virtual Trip series myself, first encountered them when HD-DVD still existed possibly around 2007 or 2008, and imported some Combo HD-DVD/DVD sets through CD Japan.
My favorite is Virtual Trip: Tokyo Twilight from the Air (2007) [PCHA-10011] although they screwed something up while filming or mastering the disc, at some point there is a big stripe on screen, I seriously thought my plasma had broken when I watched this the first time :P

I also have Virtual Trip: Hokkaido Summer: Twin Format [PCHJ-10003] and Virtual Trip: Yozakura Kyoto/Tohoku hen Cherry Blossom [PCHF-50001] and a factory sealed Virtual Trip: Snow Fantasy: Twin Format [PCHJ-10005].

Then later I found out there are quite a bunch of interesting issues on Blu-ray, and bought those as well: Virtual Trip: Osaka / Kyoto / Kobe from the Air [PCXP-10030], Virtual Trip: Shonan ~ Izu Driving View [PCXP-10017], Virtual Trip: Tokyo Daylight from the Air [PCXP-10044], Virtual Trip: Tokyo Driving View [PCXP-10014] and finally Virtual Trip: Tokyo Shibuya underground to ground [PCXP-10032]. Should probably check if there are some interesting new releases from that series.

For LD I have something that comes close to what Virtual Trip is:
Twilight Cruising Tokyo & Yokohama (1992) [COLE-6032]
Twilight Cruising Hakodate & Sapporo (1992) [COLE-6033]
Twilight Cruising Kobe & Osaka (1992) [COLE-6034]

You should probably check those :)

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2021, 11:01 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

That's a great insight to Virtual Trip! What are the audio tracks like on them? Are they stereo or anything a bit more interesting?

The Virtual Trip Bali Laserdisc features a 3D audio track which I think might be a Laserdisc exclusive.

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2021, 22:51 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

teddanson wrote:
That's a great insight to Virtual Trip! What are the audio tracks like on them? Are they stereo or anything a bit more interesting?

The Virtual Trip Bali Laserdisc features a 3D audio track which I think might be a Laserdisc exclusive.

For the HD-DVD's I have, all but PCHF-50001 (which is Linear PCM 2.0) are dts-HD 5.1. The music on Tokyo Twilight from the Air reminds me heavily of the Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 Soundtrack (especially the tracks Sheer Greed and Innocence from OST2), so I wondered if the same composer also made the music for that issue of Virtual Trip, but could never find any credit. You can choose between music or wind noise on that particular disc.
For the Blu-rays I have, all discs except PCXP-10030 (which is dts-HD Master 5.1) are Linear PCM 5.1, and sound fantastic! Note that all these discs are 1080i60, tho still looking fantastic! I already enjoyed scenery discs on MUSE Hi-Vision LD, this series felt like a continuation of that.
Damn, I should really pop a disc into the player right now. Can sleep in a little tomorrow morning, so why not! :)

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2021, 09:47 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Just re-uploading the images here so they are kept indexed on LDDB. I normally set my image uploads to expire as I figure 'today I received' and 'my collection' posts etc nobody cares too much about so I don't tend to bother with them as such. :oops:

Also, found a photo from a while back of my Virtual Drug VHS tape (aka VR Cyberdelia which is the UK title for Virtual Drug: Ecstasy), VR Cyberdelia: Future Shock (this may be a Virtual Drug re-badge, I don't think it is though. I'll dig out my VCR soon and revisit it). Finally 3 Lux 2 which is a wonderful techno VHS in the style of Virtual Drug from Germany.

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2022, 22:20 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Just adding this here to keep everything together if anyone is researching this stuff some day.

Drug Crush VHS. Added to my brain melting collection today.

...and Virtual Trip Tahiti, which I got a few weeks ago.

PostPosted: 25 May 2022, 13:39 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Just for completeness, I managed to complete my Mind Control collection finally. This is the fifth and final volume in the series.

Mind Control Volume 5 - Forest Fantasy

PostPosted: 25 May 2022, 14:51 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

teddanson wrote:
Huge cache of drugs found stashed away on LDDB...

First thing i happened to think of;

PostPosted: 27 May 2022, 02:36 
True fan
True fan

tasuke wrote:
teddanson wrote:
Huge cache of drugs found stashed away on LDDB...

First thing i happened to think of;

What timing, they just added this game to the Switch Online Super Nintendo service!

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ]