It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 10:42

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: La Polizia Ringrazia aka Execution Squad aka Das Syndikat
PostPosted: 02 Sep 2021, 10:53 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I got this on Blu Ray from Germany earlier in the week, one of the original 'Poliziotteschi' films, La Polizia Ringrazia (otherwise known as Execution Squad in Europe and the USA and Das Syndikat in Germany). Released in 1972 (though in the USA and Canada it would not arrive until much later in 1976) it is touted as being one of the very first films in the Italian cop/crime genre that dominated cinema in Italy during the 1970's. Interestingly, the film received an English dub track prior to even being released in the USA and Canada. In fact the only way to see the film in the USA and Canada prior to 1976 was through a bootlegged cassette of the Dutch home video release on, I think, the Astro Star label. The Dutch print featured the English dub track and hard Dutch subtitles so it was obvious what the source of the print doing the rounds in North America was. When the film did get an eventual release in North America it was originally titled The Police Say Thank You, which is pretty much a literal translation of La Polizia Ringrazia.

Looking across the various home video releases it's a bit of a mixed bag until the film received it's DVD release from Al!ve in Germany a few years back. The DVD release saw the film appear in it's proper aspect ratio and with German, Italian and English audio tracks as well as German subtitles. You also got a bonus DVD with trailers, galleries and an hour long interview with one of the stars of the film as well as another hour long documentary with several of the cast and crew called The Way We Were. Sadly all of the bonus DVD is in German only which doesn't help non-Deutsch speakers. The very same set was put out for the Blu Ray except this time you get a brand new 2K scan from the original negatives. The remainder of the set comprises the new 2K scan on a DVD as well as the same bonus DVD. You also get a nice slipcase and a 12 page booklet (all in German).

Compared to other home video releases which were a mix of pan/scan, messed up aspect ratios and just utter bodge jobs, the new Blu Ray looks absolutely fantastic. The best part is that the scan hasn't been buggered around with. You get some nicely balanced grain (especially impressive given a) the age of the film and b) a lot of it is shot at night) and a great sound mix, at least on the English dub track which is a DTS-HD-MA treat that really shows off the shootouts, tyre squeals and more importantly the superb Stelvio Cipriani soundtrack. Mention should be made too of the dub itself which is truly and honestly one of the very best I've heard. The voice acting is first rate and suits the film really well. I'm pleased to read reviews both from 1972 and current critiques around the Blu Ray also mention the very high quality of the English dubbing.

The film itself could at first appear to be a bit of an acquired taste. It also feels a bit like Dirty Harry II (however from what I have read, said Clint Eastwood film came after La Polizia Ringrazia and in places has more than a passing resemblance to this film. Make of that what you will!). I'd stick my neck out a little and say I thought it was a little like Infernal Affairs and The Departed too. Hopefully that gives an impression of what to expect here. This is one of the very first films made in the genre that would explode and so it's not all flares and disco music and shirtless macho goons wearing medallions hooning around Rome in Alfa Romeo's and on Moto Guzzi's. Actually forget I said the last part, it's a blatant lie!

I think what sets this film off against others in the genre is precisely the fact that it's not all out and garish. It's a film that takes it's time, simmering gently before being brought up to a magnificent boil before spilling over the top with a magnificent climax scene. During the build up the violence is subtle and only brought in when truly necessary. It doesn't feel like it's there just to fill the minutes or for shock value. With that said this is certainly not a softly softly police procedure film. You'll be witnessing some gruesome stuff, not watching an episode of Miss Marple or fecking Cadfael!

Interestingly the film is directed by 'Steno' who is more known for his work on comedy films, including a couple he done with Terence Hill and Bud Spencer. This is as far from a comedy film as you can get so it's great to see a director with a filmography that is more comedy-heavy doing a serious piece like this one. Mention should also be said of the camerawork. There's some great pieces in here setup inside the cars for both chase sequences and more temperate night cruises around the streets of Rome. When the action heats up the film switches to an almost guerilla-like viewpoint so you feel like you are right there. Stunning stuff for 1972.

I think it's the ending that did it for me. For the entire 98 minutes you feel like you're tagging along on a road to nowhere and waiting for the payoff. When it came I just sat back with a satisfied look on my face and supped a cup of tea. This is in stark contrast to watching Napoli la Camorra Sfida la Città' Risponde where I was stood up out of my chair, smashing my eyeballs to pulp with a small toffee hammer, literally SCREAMING at the ****ing television, flipping tables and throwing the television out of the window on to the street in the sheer excitement at the no-nonsense, undiluted, full-fat ULTRAVIOLENCE that was being played out on screen. ROARING. SCREAMING. BELLOWING LIKE BRIAN ****ING BLESSED at Mario Marola on my TV screen! Egging him on to defeat the bad guys!

Christ on a bike that film is good.

Anyway, apologies. Back to La Polizia Ringrazia.

It's the understated, subtle delivery of the film and the payoff. The wonderful soundtrack and the glorious camerawork that all equates to a really well made, properly thought out crime film. This one really is right up there with the best of them. If you can't handle slow burners though I would suggest trying to stick this one out. It's worth it.

Side Notes: Given this was made in 1972, there are some moments of dialog and themes present that haven't exactly aged well (to say the least). Also if you do get the German Blu Ray (and why wouldn't you, it's the best release out there), there is a warning displayed at the start that mentions that although the film is fully uncut, it was censored in Germany on it's theatrical release. A couple of scenes were removed and originally never dubbed in German. The scenes have been restored so the print is fully uncut, however the censored scenes switch to an Italian audio track and German subtitles. The Italian and English audio tracks are unaffected by this. Whichever audio track you select to view the film, it's still fully uncut.

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ]