It is currently 15 Nov 2019, 04:07

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Classic Music Video Archiving project
PostPosted: 28 Oct 2019, 17:31 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

PUTTING ALL LEGAL ISSUES ASIDE FOR THE MOMENT!

As I see it , more and more classic music videos seem harder and harder to find. Even some that were on YouTube , now are unavailable on Youtube, or are of such poor quality they are not worth watching.

Youtube itself contibutes to this problem with their implementation of "SD" quality which seems inferior. It seems anything lower than 720P resolution is downsized to 480P. This is a substantial quality loss for PAL videos that might otherwise be 704x576 or 720×576 These PAL videos get downscaled to 640x480 on a 4x3 video. Likewise an NTSC digital image may have a resolution of 720x480 or 720x486 where the Horizontal resolution is then reduced to 640 on a 4x3 video.
Even the official copy Michael Jacksons "Thriller" high budet video does not meet what I call SD quality standards when viewed on Youtube.

As Laserdisks have some of the highest quality and many music videos were released on Samplers, compilations, and by artists, it seems a logical choice to rely on Laserdisk sources with high quality anaolog video captures, and a digital "bit perfect" audio capture.

In some cases videos may be "restored" or "enhanced" versions hat may have had some clean up done to them. Personally I restored the Buggles "Video Killed The Radio Star" that I downloaded from youtube, upscaled to 720p, removed video drop-outs , and film defects, re-synched to the rematered audio at a higher bitrate than youtube uses, and it looks and sounds better than the YouTube copy.

I would like to start a "High Quality" music video archive online and want to know if others may be interested in the same or contributing content .

The goal is to offer higher quality classic videos than are found on Youtube as in my opinion what youtube claims to be SD quality falls very short of reality. This combined often with questionable source material, makes the problem even worse. Laserdisk seems to be an optimal source for content of classic musc videos.

I am interested in hearing any comments, as well as hearing from any potential collaborrators or contributors

Mark

Last edited by markosjal on 28 Oct 2019, 18:10, edited 5 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Classic Music Video Archiving project
PostPosted: 28 Oct 2019, 17:35 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

I think it’s a great idea.

That SD YouTube thing is a major drag. Mainly because the sound gets murdered too when with LDs it can potentially be flawless otherwise.

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2019, 18:01 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Utoob now put ads in everything not 101% paid for. (Or worse?)

This is the new "free to air" of our age.

They only care about bandwidth vs viewings so go for it - and if you're truly serious then preserve superior quality versions offline of course........

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2019, 09:11 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

markosjal wrote:
Personally I restored the Buggles "Video Killed The Radio Star" that I downloaded from youtube, upscaled to 720p, removed video drop-outs , and film defects, re-synched to the rematered audio at a higher bitrate than youtube uses, and it looks and sounds better than the YouTube copy.

How can it look better than your source?

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2019, 10:28 
True fan
True fan

forper wrote:
How can it look better than your source?

Magic.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2019, 15:00 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Yeah, every time I made copies of my VHS tapes back in the day they were better than originals.

Even making a copy of an LD to VHS was AMAZING and you could swear I had a bluheadSVHS

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]