It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 08:58

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: Did The System ever release anything on Laserdisc?
PostPosted: 15 Nov 2021, 11:52 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Stumbled upon a brilliant 1983 album, Sweat, by The System over the weekend. I didn't realise the vocal track from their song 'You Are In My System' was lifted and dumped in to an updated cover version by the legendary Kerri Chandler (for a remix by Dennis Quin, though I personally prefer the instrumental mix).

I had a look around Discogs and found that The System have featured on a few compilation VHS releases. Mostly for what looks like satellite, cable and some Euro music video channel broadcast tapes?

Did they put anything out on Laserdisc, or even on CED, VHD, Hi8 etc? I'd love to get the Sweat album videos if they exist somewhere. For 1983, the album sounds ahead of it's time in some places. Some really impressive use of current (for 1983) technology and arrangements in my opinion.

Here's the video for You Are In My System (possibly the most 80's music video you will ever see in your life):

Perhaps eclipsed by this AWESOME and rather rare live performance from 1987 (which could be an indicator to how huge a song it was if it's still attracting a huge buzz 4 years after it's original release) :shock:

Fast-forward 36 years :wtf: and here is the 2019 cover version by Kerri Chandler (remixed by Denis Quin):

...and the plot thickens. Robert Palmer covered the song! Again, a VERY 80's video and a great version of the song:

...and for anyone looking to see what they may be up to now, here's the band performing live in New York in 2012:

Yer man still just about has the voice! Christ on a bike those drums and synths sound timeless. Proof of an epic work. :thumbup:

Post subject: Re: Did The System ever release anything on Laserdisc?
PostPosted: 15 Nov 2021, 15:57 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I want that Charvel.

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2021, 16:33 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rein-o wrote:
I want that Charvel.

I'd love all the gear they are using. That bass line, for example, written on cutting edge equipment in 1982 (though recording started on the album in August 1981) is absolutely biblical. Genius. :clap:

Some of the slower numbers on Sweat reminded me a little of Imagination (there's a great Live Laserdisc by them that I luckily have in my collection). Also, I dug a bit further in to You Are In My System and the cover version that Robert Palmer did.

Apparently he heard the song in 1983 at an exclusive 'private' night club in Paris called l'Elysées Matignon (Julien may know more about it? My knowledge of French nightlife extends to Club Rex and that's about it). He apparently ran to the nearest plane, flew home and recorded the song within 24 hours and slapped it on to his album Pride, which he'd just finished but hadn't gone to pressing plants. Apparently he got David Frank from The System to play on the cover version too!

It turned out to be the only successful song on his album and it wasn't even his song! :crazy:

Side note: I had a look at David Frank's career to date. He must be worth trillions. A few artists or songs you may hopefully have heard of... :crazy:

Steve Winwood - Higher Love (and basically his discography)
Christina Aguilera
Mtume - Juicy Fruit (so THAT's why the drums sound so good on that song!)
Chaka Khan - I Feel For You (never heard of it! :lol: )
Beverly Hills Cop soundtrack
Billy Idol
Phil Collins
Westlife :sick:
Eric Clapton
Junior
Coming To America soundtrack
Scritti Politti

...and the list goes on. No wonder The System music sounds so good when you can hear the influence on some of the songs he worked on later in his career.

Reminds me a bit of Cathy Dennis. She did alright with D-MOB and some of her solo stuff but soon faded away.

.......then she went and wrote Kylie Minogue's mega hit Can't Get You Out Of My Head, and Britney Spears' Toxic, to name just two songs. :crazy:

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2021, 07:59 
Site Admin
Site Admin

teddanson wrote:
Did they put anything out on Laserdisc, or even on CED, VHD, Hi8 etc?

That we know of, they had one track included in a Karaoke disc: The System - Don't disturb this groove

=> 3M Promotional Music Videos - Videobox Networks Inc: Disc 113 (1987) [VB 113]

Julien

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2021, 16:26 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Is it a proper video though? Or is it one of those standard karaoke ones with a melancholy lady walking through a snowstorm that cuts to a couple splashing in the waves on the beach and sipping Perrier by a swimming pool, with shots of seagulls and coral reefs spliced in at random intervals?

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2021, 21:41 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

I own 3M Promotional Music Videos - Videobox Networks Inc: Disc 113 (1987) [VB 113]

It's the proper music video featuring the original artist. These discs were originally produced for satellite broadcast in the 80's and might have been used in some video jukeboxes as well. I own the complete set from that series manufactured by 3M. They are very difficult to track down today.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2021, 21:49 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

laserdisc_fan wrote:
I own 3M Promotional Music Videos - Videobox Networks Inc: Disc 113 (1987) [VB 113]

It's the proper music video featuring the original artist. These discs were originally produced for satellite broadcast in the 80's and might have been used in some video jukeboxes as well. I own the complete set from that series manufactured by 3M. They are very difficult to track down today.

So definitely no seagulls, melancholic women in snow blizzards or couples in their twilight years on a Sandals over 60's tour of Venice? :thumbup:

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2021, 22:27 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

teddanson wrote:

So definitely no seagulls, melancholic women in snow blizzards or couples in their twilight years on a Sandals over 60's tour of Venice? :thumbup:

No but you captured what those Karaoke LDs are like perfectly with that description!

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2021, 05:44 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Besides, I had a some hope a long time ago that all the Karaoke titles could join the Artist list (based only on the disc title).

https://www.lddb.com/artists.php

That is why I have enforced the "Track List" for music discs and "Chapter/Episode List" for non-music material.

But it would still require major updates on many titles to make it 100% compatible and useful.

If that worked... "The System" would have showed up in the Ts.

https://www.lddb.com/artists.php?start=T

Julien

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2021, 14:03 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

It's a shame only one song by The System is on those Laserdiscs. It sounds to me like they are probably the same source used for the VHS jukebox/broadcast tapes I found on Discogs. Probably for those music channels on cable/satellite where you telephone a premium rate number to request a music video.

That one song isn't on the Sweat album either which is a shame, but it is a good track though all being said.

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2021, 11:37 
Honest fan
Honest fan

teddanson wrote:
Stumbled upon a brilliant 1983 album, Sweat, by The System over the weekend. I didn't realise the vocal track from their song 'You Are In My System' was lifted and dumped in to an updated cover version by the legendary Kerri Chandler (for a remix by Dennis Quin, though I personally prefer the instrumental mix).

I had a look around Discogs and found that The System have featured on a few compilation VHS releases. Mostly for what looks like satellite, cable and some Euro music video channel broadcast tapes?

Did they put anything out on Laserdisc, or even on CED, VHD, Hi8 etc? I'd love to get the Sweat album videos if they exist somewhere. For 1983, the album sounds ahead of it's time in some places. Some really impressive use of current (for 1983) technology and arrangements in my opinion.

there are U-matic video subscription tapes from Telegenics, Rockamerica & NVS that feature video clips from this artist.

Midnight Madness
The Pleasure Seekers
You are in my system

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ]