It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:28

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Pink Floyd: The Delicate Sound of Thunder
PostPosted: 02 Feb 2022, 19:11 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Did anyone else get the recent remaster/re-release of Pink Floyd's The Delicate Sound of Thunder?

I just got it, but I had it shipped to my NY office, so I can't really watch/enjoy it until I get home on Friday.

Attachment:
delicate_sound01.jpg
delicate_sound01.jpg [ 166.47 KiB | Viewed 1385 times ]

Attachment:
delicate02.jpg
delicate02.jpg [ 167.66 KiB | Viewed 1385 times ]

Hoping it's an improvement over the LD, since the UK DVD I got some years ago appears to be a direct transfer of the LD master (but with crap Dolby Digital 2.0 audio, not PCM.)

Also, anyone know why it has never been re-released in North America?

Even this new set is an Import.

EDIT: don't know why the pictures are sideways. They were fine on my computer!

Post subject: Re: Pink Floyd: The Delicate Sound of Thunder
PostPosted: 02 Feb 2022, 20:04 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I don’t own the Blu-ray unfortunately so really looking forward to hearing your verdict on this. I do own the JPN LD release though and in audio terms it still really impresses me on my set up every time I run it, as far as I know the DVD release is a direct LD to DVD copy rather than the master but as you mentioned the audio certainly wouldn’t come close to the LDs original PCM track. The only bad thing about this version is that Money which is present on the supposedly inferior US LD was omitted for some reason, the good news is this has now been included on the remastered/restored BD if I read it correctly.
JVC DLA-X7000BE
Lumagen Radiance 2144

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2022, 15:32 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

According to the notes on the back both the DVD and blu-ray in this set have PCM audio, so that's a good thing.

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2022, 15:47 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I couldn't find my Delicate Sound of Thunder LD for some reason (my brother might have taken it and forgot to give it back), so I wasn't able to make a direct comparison. Still, I've watched it enough times to remember key differences between that release and this remaster.

First thing is, when they say they went back to the original 35mm negatives and recordings to make this concert film, they meant it. Some tracks are longer (like "Comfortably Numb") but they also changed the footage from the original release too. Gone are many of the slow motion shots of people in the crowds that I remember (like in "One Of These Days") and now there are more shots of the band members performing.

As far as how it looks--much better. I remember the much of the footage in the original heavily awash in blue from the lights, but here everything looks more natural (there is still a bit of blue overall in the video, but not overpowering.) I just wish I could find my LD so I could compare the framing, but I can't say that any shots in the remaster look crowded from the 1.78:1 frame.

The sound is really good. I found both the LPCM Stereo and DTS MA 5.1 remaster/remix to be highly enjoyable. Every instrument is now loud and clear in this version. Only gripes are that the voices, now that they're "loud and clear" when there are more than one person singing (like in "Comfortably Numb") it sounds . . . wrong. That and I wish there was more .1 LFE in the 5.1 remix. My subwoofer didn't get much rumble going on when the surround version was playing.

All in all, if you enjoyed this concert film back in the day, you will not be disappointed in this release.

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2022, 21:01 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Thanks for getting back on this one, all in all it sounds like a mixed bag of positives and negative’s? I do like the fact that they’ve done away with those awful slow-mo shots which were very popular back in the late 80s but looked ridiculously outdated even by the early 90s! Plus Comfortable Numb being restored to its full/fuller lenth is great news, though I don’t like the sound of your observation that both audio options are somewhat lacking in the bottom end, I do find this a common issue on Blu-ray disc audio (and also to a lesser extent on DVD) though when compared to LD tbh. My daughter who’s an avid PF fan tells me she read that Money has been shortened, with Guy Pratts bass solo which featured on the LD version edited out - don’t know if you could confirm this? Finally I’ll try and capture some screenshots of the LD at some point if you can’t find your copy to make some framing comparisons, do you think it was possibly originally shot in 1.78:1 AR but cropped down to 4:3 for the original video release?
JVC DLA-X7000BE
Lumagen Radiance 2144

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2022, 22:31 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I would say the positives outweigh the negatives here.

Though I will have to check out "Money" again to see if what you're saying about the bass solo is true.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]