It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 22:42

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Winger music laserdiscs
PostPosted: 29 Jun 2013, 20:04 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

I've always tended to listen to far more music from the US than my own country.
One of the many american rock bands that caught my attention in the late 80's was Winger.
I'm a sucker for any rock band with keyboards, great guitar playing and a strong melody.
Winger had all 3 in spades and also looked the perfect pinup band yet major success somehow eluded them.

I still think many of their songs hold up really well even to this day, especially the power ballads 'Heading for a Heartbreak' and 'Miles Away'.

Luckily commercial success was not a major factor when it came to releasing laserdiscs.
Winger got the golden treatment in Japan with no less than 3 different laserdisc releases covering all of the videos from their first two Atlantic albums:

Winger: The Videos Part 1 (1989) [AMLY-8002]
Winger: In the Heart of the Young (1991) [AMLY-8004]
Winger: In the Heart of the Young II (1991) [AMLY-8012]

The laserdiscs also include some additional interview footage and one track not available on the the albums.
When I was buying a new TV a few years ago I took one of the Winger LDs with me to audition in the showroom as the one featuring Miles Away is one of my favourite discs which I've watched dozens of times.

Also worth tracking down is the Japan only live in Tokyo VHS release:

Although only available on VHS tape it is great quality and shows just how good this band are when all the gloss and glitter in the videos is stripped away and they have to perform live.

Kip Winger would go on to carve a very interesting solo career writing some of this best songs in the late 90's/2000's, while Reb Beach would join Whitesnake as a guitarist.
Winger themselves reformed in more recent years and have released several new albums. For my money 'Pull' is their best album. It came out in 1993 - right at the peak of grunge. As you can imagine a hair band from the 80's stood no chance of success at that time yet this album is superb if you take the time to listen to it. Whilst none of the videos from Pull made it to any official laserdiscs (but might exist on promo LDs) there is a DVD available which covers this period.

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ]