It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:24

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Bon Jovi Test Pressing
PostPosted: 13 Nov 2017, 01:19 
So I found this in a consignment shop this weekend while digging through the records in the back. It appears to be a Bon Jovi Laserdisc Test Press. Date is circa '93 and appears to contain the track 'Sleep When I'm Dead." I'm wondering if this might be a test press of the video content for the Keep The Faith laserdiscs that came out in 1993.

Has anyone seen anything like this before and what kind of value? I don't have a laserdisc player to check it but the condition seems good. I attached some close up images. Curious as to hear some thoughts on it.

Post subject: Re: Bon Jovi Test Pressing
PostPosted: 13 Nov 2017, 15:55 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Looks can be deceiving with LD.
Playback with a player is the only way to really grade, then condition comes second in my opinion.

Value will depend on playback quality first then condition then if anybody really wants bon jovi.
So with a return policy you can ask as much as you want, without a return don't expect to get too much for the disc IF its valuable.

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2017, 16:29 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Value is unknowable until you put it on eBay and learn how bonkers fans of Bon Jovi can be. There’s probabky a few high rollers out there. What makes one LD worth thousands and another totally worthless has never made any sense to me. I can see this going for $8 or $800. It’s not pure gold for sure, you’ll probabky have to drop it on eBay at exactly the right time in order to see an impressive figure.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2017, 16:57 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

This is likely not a test pressing for any produced Bon Jovi disc. It is more likely part of a subscription service that produced music video discs for specific venues. My first guess would be some kind of bar or pub.

That certainly doesn't take away from the collectability for the Bon Jovi fans, but I suspect this single video is the only "Bon Jovi" material on the disc.

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2017, 17:31 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Yeah, a “test pressing” usually implies that it’s intended for production exactly as presented but made in a small quantity for purposes of review before mass production begins. Nobody would mass produce a 12” LD with one video on it so this was likely intended for professional use of some kind. Maybe for MTV, maybe to play in the background at Bon Jovi concerts, hard to say. It being on a 12” to me says they wanted maximum compatibility with older/industrial players.

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2017, 14:05 
Honest fan
Honest fan

signofzeta wrote:
Value is unknowable until you put it on eBay and learn how bonkers fans of Bon Jovi can be. There’s probabky a few high rollers out there. What makes one LD worth thousands and another totally worthless has never made any sense to me. I can see this going for $8 or $800. It’s not pure gold for sure, you’ll probabky have to drop it on eBay at exactly the right time in order to see an impressive figure.

Value is just greediness driven. The list of laserdiscs that would genuinely sell for hundreds or thousands of dollars is very limited.
The hype surrounding certain titles is led mere speculation: some sellers/collectors buy multiple copies of sought after titles in order to have a market without those titles circulating so they can pretend them to be paid x10 or x20 of the genuine market value.

Take away the speculation (I buy X because it is rare so I can resell it for x2, x5, x10 after a while) and we all could see how much every title is really worth.

Lot long ago you could see who was bidding on the auctions so it wasn't hard to know who was speculating and who was only collecting.

Of course no one would pretend a rule like that to work 100%. If I had a chance to find The Cell or any other valuable title on the cheap while I am hunting for the titles I am after, I would immediately buy it in order to make a profit.
If you do it on a daily basis and on EVERY title, it is bad. For the real collectors.

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2017, 22:42 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Speculators like that wouldn’t even notice this disc appearing on eBay because their tunnel vision is aimed at the buzzwords associated with high dollar titles.

However you never know when two Bon Jovi maniacs are watching eBay and if the wind is right they could perhaps bid this to the moon. It only takes two people.

I’ve never met a genuine Bon Jovi fan but I have no doubt they exist. I’m sure there is a German dude who had the same hair transplant done just to look like Jon and he and his friends travel with the band as if they were Parliment or The Grateful Dead. Almost anyone who has had a major contract at some point has a few of these forever super fans and they can be pretty bonkers.

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2017, 02:41 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'd try it there?

https://www.facebook.com/weloveBonJovi/

Julien

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]