It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 13:28

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Suzanne Ciani - Quadrophonic
PostPosted: 12 Dec 2020, 14:06 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I recall this live performance was released on vinyl a couple of years ago. Only 200 copies were pressed iirc? Well anyway they now go for about 26 trillion Euro on Discogs etc.

I figured there must be another way to experience the album...and there is!

Today I fired up the album on Tidal and used Tidal Connect to play the album over my NVIDIA Shield. I set my Dolby Pro Logic matrix decoder to Music mode and hey presto, there it was in it's full glory!

Yes, it's not the vinyl going through a proper QS system, but it's a very accurate presentation (even mentioned elsewhere that this is the way to go with the digital version) of QS sound.

The album is split in to parts with the last track playing back all the tracks together. This is the best way to go, straight to the last track for the full experience.

Another top tip, play it loud and close your eyes for the full 30 minutes. It's a wonderful experience! There is a portion about 10 or so minutes in that just feels like you are in a pitch black metallic cube, running down a corridor to the thud of footsteps and emerging on an alien landscape (my mind's interprestation of it). It's just excellent, experimental techno.

There may well be some further enjoyment to be had for those of you that enjoy Rastafarian Old Holburn, or sugar cubes dipped in Lysergicaciddiethilamidetartrate. That scene isn't for me, but some may benefit further if they choose to.

I would love to see this on Tidal Masters or Dolby 360 Audio some day. Give it a try and let's see what you think!

Here's the link to the track in full:

https://tidal.com/track/88468531

Side note: I noticed the album is touring and playing Manchester UK in June 2021. There may be other dates and countries where this performance is coming to so well worth a look!

Post subject: Re: Suzanne Ciani - Quadrophonic
PostPosted: 12 Dec 2020, 22:41 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

It's pretty cool that the old Quadraphonic discs are compatible with pro logic, despite being a whole decade older. I know at least one of the Black Sabbath albums, Paranoid I think, was also released as a quadraphonic version.

Apparently there's also 8-track and reel to reel versions of the quadraphonic mix!

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2020, 23:21 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Quadraphonic is like 3D to me, it never really has the feel of being in a concert or room of actual music.
Read a lot about it and its not worth the risk.
There are a bunch of albums that are quad and its interesting but I own West Bruce and Lain Why Don'tcha and that too was release as a quad but
I think only 1 or 2 tracks on the entire album would utilize that feature but I doubt it would matter much.

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2020, 05:44 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Techmoan did a video about this exact album. Well worth a watch to see how it works :).

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]