It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 15:52

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Phil Collins Seriously Live (In Berlin) Laserdisc
PostPosted: 02 Apr 2020, 16:27 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Hello All,

Spun this 2 disc concert yesterday evening and couldn't help but notice that something wasn't quite as it should be with the audio on the first two sides, especially side 2. The problem is the balance of the mix on the stereo PCM track seems very left sided to my ears with the general dynamics of the sound absolutely lacking. On loading the 2nd disc and playing side 3 everything is perfect with powerful centralised drums strong bass and Collins vocals sounding really crisp, together producing a memorable live mix just as it should be, you could be fooled into believing this was a different recording entirely. Does anyone else have this Laserdisc in their collection and if so have you noticed this issue, mine is Phil Collins: Seriously Live in Berlin (1990) [PA-91-334] there was also a second US version Phil Collins: Seriously Live in Berlin (1990) [PA-91-334] with a slight variation on the colours used for the front cover artwork and omitting Phil Collins picture, also a Japan release with a Dolby Surround mix plus a PAL EU version made in Germany. I would really be interested to learn if this issue is present on these other versions, Many Thanks and stay healthy everyone!
JVC DLA-X7000BE
Lumagen Radiance 2144

Post subject: Re: Phil Collins Seriously Live (In Berlin) Laserdisc
PostPosted: 02 Apr 2020, 17:16 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

I wished I had this with me. I'll have to wait until this quartine is over. It's in another state so had to cancel moving in completely. Otherwise I would check. That's really weird. Didn't notice anything when I first watched it.

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2020, 20:15 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

When we eventually get through all of this and you can get hold of your copy it would be great to hear your opinion @xtempo, from memory do you recall which version you own?
JVC DLA-X7000BE
Lumagen Radiance 2144

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2020, 20:18 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

Possibly the 2nd but it's been at least 3 years since I saw it.

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2021, 10:30 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

xtempo wrote:
Possibly the 2nd but it's been at least 3 years since I saw it.

Got to watch this again the other night for the first time in a good while to refresh my opinion and once again found that the audio on side 2 of disc 1 spoils the performance on that part of the concert. Just to add since my original post that both side 1 and side 3 sound as they should but side 2 cannot even be improved by shifting the balance from left to right so would be great if anyone could confirm that it's not just a case of my ears being defective, I take it you still never got your copy back xtempo?
JVC DLA-X7000BE
Lumagen Radiance 2144

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2023, 04:45 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Hi-
I just checked, I do have the "yellow and green" version of this rather than the "red and orange" one. Did you ever get an answer about the sound issue you have/had? I am also curious whether you heard the same problem on both audio options (digital and analog).

If you want me to check mine, I can do some tests. I added the mastering numbers from my three sides to the database. (The term "mint marks" makes my skin crawl because these discs were not -minted- but rather, mastered and molded/manufactured. No, they were not "pressed", either.)

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2023, 09:42 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

chrisw6atv wrote:
Hi-
I just checked, I do have the "yellow and green" version of this rather than the "red and orange" one. Did you ever get an answer about the sound issue you have/had? I am also curious whether you heard the same problem on both audio options (digital and analog).

If you want me to check mine, I can do some tests. I added the mastering numbers from my three sides to the database. (The term "mint marks" makes my skin crawl because these discs were not -minted- but rather, mastered and molded/manufactured. No, they were not "pressed", either.)

Yes I did get a response from another member actually, and seem to recall he had the same version that you own (mine is the US version with the additional image of Phil Collins to the mid left of the cover). I’m sure he found when testing his copy the problem existed but strangely the opposite way around! and yes stereo speaker/interconnect connections were checked just to be certain ;)

Since then I got hold of a copy of the PAL release and this is absolutely perfect throughout fortunately! It would be interesting though if you could give your US copy a spin and give an opinion on this?
JVC DLA-X7000BE
Lumagen Radiance 2144

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]