It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:45

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: General LaserDisc Player Maintenance
PostPosted: 23 Sep 2021, 18:29 
Second post
Second post

Hey everyone! Just a quick question here. I have two LD players, a Yamaha CDV-W901 and a Pioneer CLD-S201.

They both run very well, I have no problems with either of them, but I was wondering due to their overall age, is there anything I can do as a normie consumer when it comes to maintenance? I was thinking things along the lines of lubrication (for the dual side play mechanism) or the tightening of internal screws that may have become loose over the years.

What are some things around the house that I can do to check in and diagnose the overall health of these two devices? Just to keep them running as long as I can into the future!

Thanks! Love this website!

Post subject: Re: General LaserDisc Player Maintenance
PostPosted: 24 Sep 2021, 02:37 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. It really is easy to mess these up even if doing just light maintenance.

That being said, a light maintenance routine applicable to CDV-W901 and CLD-S201 focused on longevity:
Unplug unit.
Remove all dust/dirt from heat sensitive components (most of power supply and whatever ICs have fins on them on main board). CLD-S201 has three chassis mounted transistors that need attention. I use cotton swab damp with 91% isopropyl.
Inspect lens with a light. If the surface is not clearly dirty stay clear. Clean the tilt sensor next to it though.
Clean and lightly re-grease rails with EM-30L. Add a dab to center of spindle that touches clamper.
Replace belts (there are two on CLD-S201). Clean the pulleys before putting new one on.
Clean spindle grip.

I do much, much more but beyond the above is higher risk than reward.

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ]