It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:49

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: [CLD-770][CLD-3070] Control Panel Issue - won't lift up
PostPosted: 19 May 2022, 15:51 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Hello everyone,

I've been successful in recovering this player from Japan, the Pioneer CLD-770 (Which seems to be the Japanese equivalent of the US Machine CLD-3070) - Nice, sturdy machine that can survive pretty much everything. Very well built, and heavy, 13 Kilograms!

This unit did resist well to shipping, but was a bit shaken during transport - So far, I've encountered the following issues and resolved 2 out 3)

- The unit turns off at random (Fixed, I did unplug the control panel, checked the pins, plugged back in the flat cable, with success - The unit no longer turns off at random.)
- Significant Crosstalk when playing CLV Discs (Fixed, I checked the service manual and used the reference disc - After a careful adjustment of tilt fcs, the crosstalk is gone, YAY!)
- The control panel opens when the disc tray comes out but won't close by itself. The disc tray goes back in, the control panel stays down. I've to pull it up to engage the playback of discs (A bit upsetting, and I am looking for a way to fix this once and for all - I will post pictures of the issue below).

As you can see in the first picture, there is one spring (Pictures attached) that came out and so far, I have been unable to find where one of its ends are supposed to go. Can anybody help? Any picture of the control panel of a fully functional unit will help in solving this little and last (yet somewhat annoying) issue.

Thanks,

Marco

Attachments:
File comment: Control Panel
IMG_3426.jpeg
IMG_3426.jpeg [ 50.48 KiB | Viewed 2450 times ]
File comment: Spring out of its socket?
IMG_3427.jpeg
IMG_3427.jpeg [ 40.04 KiB | Viewed 2450 times ]
File comment: Spring Out
IMG_3430.jpeg
IMG_3430.jpeg [ 41.12 KiB | Viewed 2450 times ]
File comment: The Spring Itself
IMG_3431.jpeg
IMG_3431.jpeg [ 43.61 KiB | Viewed 2450 times ]

Post subject: Re: [CLD-770][CLD-3070] Control Panel Issue - won't lift up
PostPosted: 19 May 2022, 21:47 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Nice work!

Here is a photo of the right spring. Make sure the left spring at other end of door is there as well.
Attachment:
VBH1052_DoorSpringR.jpg
VBH1052_DoorSpringR.jpg [ 29.13 KiB | Viewed 2426 times ]

PostPosted: 23 May 2022, 11:11 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Hello Cplusplus,

Thanks for sharing this picture, it was quite helpful.

So, I gave it a go - reopened the player, detached the front panel from the deck, and checked where the spring's long end is supposed to go. Unfortunately, the plastic tab is damaged. As such, I am afraid this is no longer fixable - for now.

I will therefore keep an eye out open for a junk CLD-770 / 3070 and see if I can salvage a front panel that I could put on my player. Not a priority, but if I find something cheap, I will give it a try!

Nonetheless, the player still remains fully functional I just need to lift up the control panel with my hand when engaging playback. Not too much of a hassle, especially for a backup player. (My main LD player being a Pioneer DVL-9).

Once again, thank you so much for your help on this one.

Marco

Attachments:
File comment: Left Spring - Untouched, fully functional.
IMG_4182.jpeg
IMG_4182.jpeg [ 43.13 KiB | Viewed 2333 times ]
File comment: Right Spring, Plastic Tab missing.
IMG_4181.jpeg
IMG_4181.jpeg [ 60.44 KiB | Viewed 2333 times ]
File comment: Right Spring, Plastic Tab damaged, not possible to clip the right spring.
IMG_4187.jpeg
IMG_4187.jpeg [ 28.22 KiB | Viewed 2333 times ]

PostPosted: 23 May 2022, 15:05 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

You might could try cutting a notch so the spring would just clasp a little further up. Another option might be bonding a longer piece of paper clip behind the plastic where it should clasp. I am not good with fixes like this though.

PostPosted: 23 May 2022, 18:39 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I had this exact same issue a couple of years back w/ my CLD-3030.

The plastic part that held the spring broke and I ended up gluing it back but it snapped again due to the stress placed on it. I ended up devising a better solution of gluing it back again but then cementing thin layers of plastruct sheets around the crack to reinforce it. It worked great and haven't had a problem since.

Wish I had taken pics of it to post but I could open it up again to photograph when I have the time

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2023, 21:03 
First post
First post

There is a CLD-770 for sale at Seattle Goodwill for about $35. It turns on and sounds like it wants to play a disc but the control panel door does not automatically open or close.

Attachments:
IMG_2207 (1).jpg
IMG_2207 (1).jpg [ 12.11 KiB | Viewed 1537 times ]

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2023, 00:49 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

The player is having a dried grease issue. If you completely clean it up, it should work fine again. $35 is a good price for a player like this but I would still try to negotiate lower just because.

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2023, 19:41 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I would get a flat sheet of strong plastic or metal, epoxy it on with the shape that is missing but covering over existing piece and run a small screw or nut and bolt through to hold it solid.

Almost like an overlay piece. Or I think in construction they call it a sister joist or piece? when you attach the new to the old.

Then you can attach the spring back on.

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2023, 07:33 
True fan
True fan

krisjs1767 wrote:
There is a CLD-770 for sale at Seattle Goodwill for about $35. It turns on and sounds like it wants to play a disc but the control panel door does not automatically open or close.

Good Job on fixing your Crosstalk issues!

I could never totally fix broken faceplates where the Spring attatches in the past.

Just some History below from my past experiences on the 2070/3070/CLD-91/CLD-92 ELITE

This has the "dry grease" issue and the Flex cable from the front panel is known to come unplug causing problems"

Not the easiest task unless you really understand how the player needs to put back in alignment and the service Guide is hard to understand also. The Power Supply warps the one plastic guide and you have to reshape it with a Hot air Gun!! Takes many hours and days to learn this mech setup!

Still a nice Picture when you go through all the alignments after you fix the loading problem. The focus and tracking Gains drift from age. I always do a full service on these after relubing the mech and flushing out all the old dry grease. Many Hours involved and lots of patience!

Trust Me!!

\../

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]