It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:14

Page 5 of 5 [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: Pioneer HLD-X0 Review
PostPosted: 29 Sep 2022, 15:36 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Buy another working unit and start swapping boards one at time until you get it working to narrow down the issue to one board. I would start with the power components as it is likely the issue given symptoms. Once you narrow it down to a section, you can start search for who can fix it.

Worst case once you figure out what works, you can part out those for sale and recuperate your losses. The laser alone is worth good penny if it is healthy.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2022, 15:58 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I was sitting after reading this having a late breakfast telling my wife as I'm laughing my a** off.

Sorry you paid 750-2500 for an 80 pound doorstop. I know that even the top end techs back in the day had trouble with these players.
Hope its something simple but you are totally SOL.

On another note, are you using a correct step down converter for this player or did the previous owner???
Could have jacked it that way and it keeps kicking into standby, also a gear could be jammed and making the player refuse to turn on.
You have a long road to slog through on this one, sorry.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2022, 17:46 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Anyone here skilled with photoshop able to make a scene where a X0 is being used as a paperweight in a busy office environment?
iScan DUO Processor
Check out my small but loved collection here..

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2022, 18:00 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

substance wrote:
I would start with the power components as it is likely the issue given symptoms.

I was thinking that as well based on the symptom even though that is still a guess.

If mikey is willing to take a chance, remove the power supply board and look for any leaking capacitors. If any are found (or not), replace all the caps and then see if that fixes it.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2022, 19:48 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

jakeheke wrote:
Anyone here skilled with photoshop able to make a scene where a X0 is being used as a paperweight in a busy office environment?

OMG if I get time in the next week I'll have to do this. :lol:

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2022, 20:40 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

It happens when you buy electronics even if it's supposed to be in working order it can arrived damaged for whatever reason. It basically sucks. I do hope to get this working again even if I have a .5 percent chance I'll take it.

Yes I am using the correct transformer for the player. This player though is very hard to work on due to it's weight. You really need a good work bench for it.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2022, 21:42 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Where are you located? And where (link) did you buy it? I happen to have experience in repairing these and *might* be able to assist.

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2022, 05:47 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

drewmanfu0 wrote:
Where are you located? And where (link) did you buy it? I happen to have experience in repairing these and *might* be able to assist.

I am in USA. Thanks for the offer and I'll consider but right now I don't really want to make it someones else's problem. I think the mainboard gave out on it I measured the power supply with a voltmeter and it's working. I also unplugged the psu cable to mainboard and it stayed on for longer than 2 seconds before shutting off. So it's likely the mainboard not turning on and the system shuts itself off. This is an expensive lesson learned glad I have a Mcintosh MLD-7020 to still use. Not my fault it arrived not in working order even if people want to joke about it on here. If it was a USA seller I would return it but since it's a Japanese seller I really don't want to pack it up and ship it back and pay the return shipping. No thanks.

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2022, 05:59 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

mikey1223 wrote:
drewmanfu0 wrote:

I am in USA. Thanks for the offer and I'll consider but right now I don't really want to make it someones else's problem. I think the mainboard gave out on it I measured the power supply with a voltmeter and it's working. I also unplugged the psu cable to mainboard and it stayed on for longer than 2 seconds before shutting off. So it's likely the mainboard not turning on and the system shuts itself off. This is an expensive lesson learned glad I have a Mcintosh MLD-7020 to still use. Not my fault it arrived not in working order even if people want to joke about it on here. If it was a USA seller I would return it but since it's a Japanese seller I really don't want to pack it up and ship it back and pay the return shipping. No thanks.

Take the partial return you mentioned earlier. You can probably sell it for parts and make up for the other half. The laser alone should be worth some good money.

Joking is not nice not saluted.

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2022, 15:43 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Well I can't believe anybody would still be buying these in this day and age.
I love my LDs and have lower priced players but I see no reason to get into this format as a hobby now and even less if you have been collecting LDs
to bother with such an expensive player with no parts.

My R7G came from Japan or Taiwan over 15 years ago damaged in shipping, I got a partial refund but also had someone who could repair and parts at the time.
Would never take that risk again.

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2022, 05:22 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

This opinion is subjective. I agree in some places and differ in elsewhere. I don’t see much of a motivation to get into LDs. OP has other players which indicates that he is not newly into it. Where my opinion differs from yours is that if you must have LDs you must have a killer player and supporting equipment otherwise the format is way too far away from watchable against newer formats.

He seemed like a respectful person and kindly asked for help. I felt he didn’t deserve the jokingly attitude. He took it maturely and kept his politeness. I have read your posts for many years. I know you are a good guy and you don’t mean bad. He may not know that yet. That’s all.

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2022, 14:05 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

substance wrote:
Where my opinion differs from yours is that if you must have LDs you must have a killer player and supporting equipment otherwise the format is way too far away from watchable against newer formats.

Agree but this is to watch what, 3 or 4 LDs and to never be able to watch again since your three thousand dollar player broke and can't
be fixed, that's IF you get it working and not arriving DOA.

The high end of this format is just way too risky, Duncan to my knowledge was the only one in the USA who could even
attempt to fix these.

Once he was DOA then these X0 / X9 players should have taken a major dive but now drewman says he may be able to fix, but still
no parts. Big Risk for today, 10 years ago OK but now nope not worth the risk.

Maybe Mikey gets my joke, maybe hes upset at me, he was asking for help but there is none on this player.
Even your answer to get another player is very hard when you just poured a grand into bricks, or really worse.

Bricks can build a house or repair this can't do either so it is more of a dust collector.

And Substance, you yourself said if I remember correctly, you haven't played LDs or even setup your system for a few years now???

Wish Mikey luck on it, but I think its unfortunately slim to none and both have left the building, but your other answer sounds best,
part the player out to those who have or need parts.

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2022, 14:30 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Don't hate me because I'm beautiful :lol:

Attachments:
door with player.jpg
door with player.jpg [ 46.17 KiB | Viewed 1935 times ]

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2022, 18:07 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I have to agree. Buying an X-0 through the mail these days is a four digit $ gamble with nowhere near 50:50 odds. I’m absolutely not happy that this is the truth but it’s is very obviously the truth.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2022, 05:37 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

rein-o wrote:
substance wrote:
Where my opinion differs from yours is that if you must have LDs you must have a killer player and supporting equipment otherwise the format is way too far away from watchable against newer formats.

Agree but this is to watch what, 3 or 4 LDs and to never be able to watch again since your three thousand dollar player broke and can't
be fixed, that's IF you get it working and not arriving DOA.

The high end of this format is just way too risky, Duncan to my knowledge was the only one in the USA who could even
attempt to fix these.

Once he was DOA then these X0 / X9 players should have taken a major dive but now drewman says he may be able to fix, but still
no parts. Big Risk for today, 10 years ago OK but now nope not worth the risk.

Maybe Mikey gets my joke, maybe hes upset at me, he was asking for help but there is none on this player.
Even your answer to get another player is very hard when you just poured a grand into bricks, or really worse.

Bricks can build a house or repair this can't do either so it is more of a dust collector.

And Substance, you yourself said if I remember correctly, you haven't played LDs or even setup your system for a few years now???

Wish Mikey luck on it, but I think its unfortunately slim to none and both have left the building, but your other answer sounds best,
part the player out to those who have or need parts.

You saying it is time for the return of the risk chapter 3D?

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2022, 03:27 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

I actually got my X0 working it turns out it was the mainboard and the mainboard for these players can cause plenty of problems. I recapped the hell out of the mainboard and kept getting a P5 error and the disc would not spin up. So did a little more work and tonight it fired up and is spinning a disc and working properly now.

I really never want to work on one of these players again it's a complete pain in the you know what. The video though the colors and picture were near perfect. Best I have seen on any LD player including the X9 which is pretty solid and the 7020 from McIntosh. Well worth the time and effort. Thanks to some fellow fourm members here who offered to take a look at it.

So if you ever get a P5 error on this machine there is a good chance it's the mainboard if everything else looks good.

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2022, 18:45 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Well that's a great Christmas present, took you work but got it done.
I doubt anybody other than a super diehard will be buying one of these players, and if its worse than something like a PR-7820 or an S1 or a 3070 then I will never
touch it.
Even if I had money to burn, its been too long and the player is too old and still too expensive I would need a super warranty for this one since there are no parts
available and none as of yet to be rebuilt.

But again very happy to hear you got it working and enjoy it, I've never seen one in person and I'm sure the image is great but not worth the risk for me.

Glad we are still spinning these in the next year !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2023, 03:48 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

rein-o wrote:
Well that's a great Christmas present, took you work but got it done.
I doubt anybody other than a super diehard will be buying one of these players, and if its worse than something like a PR-7820 or an S1 or a 3070 then I will never
touch it.
Even if I had money to burn, its been too long and the player is too old and still too expensive I would need a super warranty for this one since there are no parts
available and none as of yet to be rebuilt.

But again very happy to hear you got it working and enjoy it, I've never seen one in person and I'm sure the image is great but not worth the risk for me.

Glad we are still spinning these in the next year !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks.

My thoughts on the X0:
It's a nice big bulky fancy Laserdisc player. It does not offer A/B play so you have to flip the disc. It is the best built LD player ever made but yeah I likely won't ever bother getting another one and don't recommend anyone to get one unless it's at a really good price because it's so heavy,bulky and hard to work on. there are like no parts available to fix this player. It was like a game of chess for me with this thing and finding what was bad on the mainboard. I do also own an X9 which is also one of the best and really the picture difference between the X9/X0 isn't that dramatic. The colors,blacks on the X0 are a tad better and that is it most people would not notice a big difference. What is huge on the X0 is it's ability to read pretty much any LD even if it has disc rot and play it without a hitch which is really why I wanted one of these.

The X9 though which is way cheaper and also offers A/B play is likely the one to get if you want the absolute best LD player and parts are not available for that either. In all fairness though LD is a dead format and it's getting harder to get used LD parts now for pretty much any LD player. However yeah these Japan models parts are nearly impossible to get.

The X0 though is an amazing machine and the best LD player ever made and I love it but not worth the $3 grand Japan sellers are asking for it now. It's worth $2 grand imo. Go with an X9 which is cheaper instead if you want one of the best LD players ever made. The X0/X9 there isn't a big dramatic difference in performance unless you have lots of LD's with disc rot.

Still this player is quite a beauty!

Page 5 of 5 [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5