It is currently 30 Apr 2024, 18:15

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: I passed out with my CLD-99's door open for probably around
PostPosted: 11 Apr 2024, 12:54 
True fan
True fan

8-9 hours with a copy of Tom Cruise's Legend movie in my laserdisc player. The tray was open hanging out for that long with the player just running. Is this bad to do this? I fell asleep because I was probably still tired from the jog I had yesterday. Yeah, I don't sleep like normal people. I generally just pass out and it's unexpected. Hits me when I least expect it. I was just trying to wait like 5-10 minutes until the disc cooled down because sometimes I do this to make sure I don't just shove a disc back into the cardboard case and prevent a possible ring on the cover artwork that isn't damage. However, I don't think this laserdisc player heats up much so I probably didn't have to do that anyways.

To make a long story short is this bad to have the tray out for extended period of time with the player on? Could it cause anything like issues with the belt or most likely not? Does anyone know or are you all also unsure if this can cause any type of damage? Also, I noticed light rot on Legend. At certain parts it seemed to pop up that or maybe this film print is just dirty at certain areas. Movie itself was 100 percent watchable.

Post subject: Re: I passed out with my CLD-99's door open for probably aro
PostPosted: 11 Apr 2024, 16:37 
Honest fan
Honest fan

The door/drawer components should be fine. The differences in weight distribution relative to the strength of the plastic or metal parts should not matter. (Maybe three to six weeks in open sunlight would be different. :) )

jesuslovesgood wrote:
I noticed light rot on Legend... or maybe this film print is just dirty at certain areas.

Laser rot versus a dirty/grainy film transfer should be very obviously different. Rot, for one thing, usually flickers/flashes or rolls vertically on the screen and affects a major part or entire side of a disc typically. Grain will look different in each scene change, and a dirty film print is not likely at all to look like "rolling snow". You could always try to take a good picture or two of the scene(s) that appear to have rot and post them here.

I have not played a rotted disc in my CLD-D704 in a long time, so I forgot what it looks like when I use the digital freeze function on an Extended Play disc.

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2024, 19:27 
True fan
True fan

To be on the safe side I rated it as light rot to warn those that get bothered by that but I think this is perfectly acceptable. I notice two other users also rated it as light rot. No one has rated it as a bad rotter so if this is indeed rot it's light and if it's film print dirt or whatever that term is called then it's still light. I would still recommend getting this movie especially if it's still in the cheaper range. However that's only if a person is into adventure movies or movies that have similar premise as Zelda. That's what Legend always reminded me of. Tom Cruise's character to me is similar to Link.

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2024, 15:07 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Why are there so many people who are into LD and absolutely paranoid as hell about every single aspect of it? If I was that worried about a format I absolutely wouldn’t buy into it. Its LD not HD-DVD.

Your movie didn’t rot because it was sitting on a tray…neither will the player die or hot discs cause ring wear.

The worst thing about leaving your tray open and forgetting about it is that it’s a great way to accidentally destroy the hell out of your player by bumping into it or opening a door into it or closing a door on it. If that didn’t happen…then you win! Go back to playing your discs.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2024, 23:53 
True fan
True fan

The aspect of leaving it open I'm paranoid about is the belt messing up. Isn't that a sensitive part of most players or do I not have to worry about that with a CLD-99 because it's the best of the best.

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2024, 01:02 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

This is just bad all around.

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2024, 06:40 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

A belt isn’t going to get any worse whether a tray is extended or retracted. Like Zeta said, the bigger issue is something bumping into an open tray and damaging a physical component.

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2024, 17:11 
Honest fan
Honest fan

As ldfan mentioned, the belt is not affected by the position of the tray. Truly, just plain not using the player for months or years at a time is the worst thing for the belt because it will sit in one position on the two idlers/pulleys. That would be true with the tray open or closed. Closed is better for keeping dust out.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]