It is currently 02 May 2024, 21:46

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Thoughts on buying a CLD-D503 online to repair a CLD-D704?
PostPosted: 19 Apr 2024, 20:01 
First post
First post

Hey all,

Long story short, my beloved CLD-D704 spindle motor is failing. Popping in a LD, I get an awful squeal as it spins up to full speed, the video becomes distorted on the TV, and the disc will stop spinning after a few seconds to a minute. CDs, however, play just fine.

After reviewing various posts here and other online resources, I can definitely say its not the top clamp, as I've cleaned it, lithium greased bearings, replaced the clamp button, and even swapped parts of it with a working CLD-D504, only for the issue to continue. From what I can gather, the spindle motor's bushings are done for, meaning I will need a working VXM1053 to get it working right again.

I've spent the last week looking around for a replacement motor with no luck other than some site in Singapore selling one for over $75 plus international shipping fees. However, I also discovered that many of the components of the D704 are identical to the CLD-D503. I found a D503 online that the seller listed for parts that I may be able to get for around $100 shipped. From the video the seller provided, the main issue with their player is the loading belt needs replacing (tray opens, the loading mechanism doesn't fully engage, the drive opens back up). Its an issue we've all dealt with and one I've fixed multiple times on my players. The seller is highly rated too, so I'm hoping that means they know what they're doing when it comes to shipping sensitive equipment like this.

Now, I know getting players shipped often results in damaged goods and is frowned upon here. There is also no guarantee the motor in this D503 is even operable, so that's another big gamble. So I come here asking for some advice:

- Would you take the risk of buying the D503 knowing there's a good chance it doesn't get delivered in one piece, but with the idea that you're going to cannibalize it anyway?
- Is ~$100 a good amount of cash to spend on this?
- If the spindle motor is good in the D503, how difficult a job is it to replace these components?

Thankfully I still have a working CLD-D504, but man it hurts to have my D704 sitting there broken knowing how much better a LD player it is.

Thank you all.

Post subject: Re: Thoughts on buying a CLD-D503 online to repair a CLD-D70
PostPosted: 20 Apr 2024, 03:02 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

yobagme wrote:
- Is ~$100 a good amount of cash to spend on this?

$100 total, yes.

yobagme wrote:
- If the spindle motor is good in the D503, how difficult a job is it to replace these components?

I would say it is medium difficultly. Take care not to over disassemble. Do not break off the PCB lead that sticks out of the bottom of the metal spindle case. Replace the grip before you put it into the CLD-D704.

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2024, 21:58 
True fan
True fan

The Spindle FG sensor also has to be carefully removed without breaking the plastic tabs. The plastic has become very brittle. Just finished a 703 and 704 for a member on here. The Spindles are wearing out quickly. He sent one parts 503 and that spindle was half locked. You can't use penetrating oil like on the older 701/702, etc. Those bearings worn out quickly new even on 503/703/704/99 and Karaoke models using same spindle. And the DVL's , 505, etc. 1995-1998. Spindles were low quality and seen many power Supplies burnt, because of the stress. I'm not sure if I even have enough spares to sell, still have a 703 that needs one replace... I've been backed up on service, because power Supplies need some recapping.

\../

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2024, 06:26 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I guess it’s time for me to store away my Mitsubishi, M-V7055 (CLD-D704 clone) now that I pretty much fixed my ProScan, PSLD43’s (CLD-2090 clone) various issues.

Gonna miss having the field memory abilities but no sense in creating wear on these machines if I don’t need to. :|

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]