It is currently 16 Jul 2024, 07:11

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Anything better (or similar) to the CLD-R7G?
PostPosted: 22 Jun 2024, 05:25 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

Just curious, but without getting into MUSE territory, is there anything better than the R7G, or at least an equivalent? My R7G is in the dumps and I'm sending it to someone who knows what they're doing, but it might be unfixable. If it's deemed a wash, what would be a worthy replacement? And how would you even ship something as delicate as a laserdisc player nowadays when UPS, the USPS, FedEx, DHL, etc. are all committed to the "shake, rattle, and roll" method of getting stuff from point A to point B?

Post subject: Re: Anything better (or similar) to the CLD-R7G?
PostPosted: 22 Jun 2024, 08:15 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

There are only slightly better players. The R7G is, for most peoples displays, as good as it gets. It’s also easier to get than most of the best players. It’s not worth chasing improvement, IMO.

I won’t ship any players at this point and I’m a total jerk to anyone who does.

Some people naturally feel bad about about wasting the last few remaining players just because they discovered LD in someone’s retro dork YouTube video. Others just say, “I’ll destroy anything I want, it’s my money.”

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2024, 09:52 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

For NTSC film the R7G is in the top tier list, im sure we all agree.
MUSE players is a whole other kettle of fish.

Hopefully you can get yours repaired,
Roll the dice and take your chances with shipping.
I had mine on a lap from japanese flight basically
iScan DUO Processor
Check out my small but loved collection here..

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2024, 15:31 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

fleggett wrote:
Just curious, but without getting into MUSE territory, is there anything better than the R7G,

Bluray

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2024, 12:51 
Serious fan
Serious fan

LD-S9? Attainable and the best picture I've seen out of a non MUSE Pioneer.

Also, I think you should ship it. Ship it from the furthest possible location from your own. In fact, you should have it posted to a friend in another country then have him post it to you, to ensure more handling. Then, in the highly likely eventuality it arrives to you in perfect condition you can write on here about it and enrage SignofZeta who seems to have built up the belief that shipping an LD player =certain destruction of LD player. Maybe he's had REALLY bad luck with receiving shipped LD players? I dunno. I haven't. Probably a dozen shipped to me over the last decade +. 1 was destroyed. All others received as described and worked. My MDP-999 was actually accidently dropped a meter onto my driveway in front of me by the DHL guy. Was so well packed by Japan.inc it still worked fine.

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2024, 14:18 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Realistically Speaking; VERY FEW (Lucky) prospective LD Enthusiasts

(or, Existing Enthusiasts; simply looking to acquire Specific Player Models that they just so happen to be Interested in Owning, God Almighty Forbid)

- are going to just so happen to be Blessed with LD Players available for sale anywhere near Practical Driving Distance of them...

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2024, 03:37 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

Oh, I'm definitely shipping it. Right now, it's just a gigantic toe banger, so shipping it to someone who knows what they're doing is my only option at this point. I tried fixing it myself, but machine logic has never been my thing and I can see myself getting into serious trouble once I start yanking screws. I also bought a hellaciously expensive scaler specifically for the device since my TV only accepts HDMI, but that was before I knew the player had stopped working. Yeah, I lost a fair amount of hair that day.

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2024, 11:24 
Serious fan
Serious fan

oh, you're shipping the 7G out for repairs, not shipping a replacement in?

So, who are you shipping it to?

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2024, 15:03 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

fleggett wrote:
Oh, I'm definitely shipping it. Right now, it's just a gigantic toe banger, so shipping it to someone who knows what they're doing is my only option at this point. I tried fixing it myself, but machine logic has never been my thing and I can see myself getting into serious trouble once I start yanking screws. I also bought a hellaciously expensive scaler specifically for the device since my TV only accepts HDMI, but that was before I knew the player had stopped working. Yeah, I lost a fair amount of hair that day.

Then you’ll be totally bald after you pay a guy $300 to fix it and and it gets totally smashed on its way back to you.

There are very few good LD repairmen left. The ones I know of are extremely hesitant to ship…which is just one part of what makes them good repairmen. LD players should not be mailed unless your goal is to reduce the number of players in the world.

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2024, 16:32 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

spooky wrote:
oh, you're shipping the 7G out for repairs, not shipping a replacement in?

So, who are you shipping it to?

I'm shipping it to blam1, as he made the offer to take a look at it. We've since exchanged a few PMs.

There are (working) R7Gs currently being sold?

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2024, 16:49 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

signofzeta wrote:
Then you’ll be totally bald after you pay a guy $300 to fix it and and it gets totally smashed on its way back to you.

There are very few good LD repairmen left. The ones I know of are extremely hesitant to ship…which is just one part of what makes them good repairmen. LD players should not be mailed unless your goal is to reduce the number of players in the world.

Jeezus Christmas, you must be the shining light of any party.

What else would you have me do? Give up on it? Stick it in my attic in the hopes the spiders take an interest in it? There's no one here (that I know of) who would touch a laserdisc player with a 10-foot electrified cattle prod. It's effectively down to enthusiast-tinkerers to keep these things running. Besides, the best case scenario is that it gets fixed and survives the move, while the worst case scenario is...well...I'm looking at it right now (and it makes me hella sad).

I have a plan to get it there and back again without it being singed and trampled on by roaming dragons. Have faith, grasshopper!

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2024, 17:02 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Well, we "enthusiast-tinkerers" have had our players for decades now, we didn't just decide to get into this after watching some twitch streamer or something.

We are just sad to see on here alone your type of post 3-5 times a month.

Blam knows about players and has posted about fixing some in the past, knows stuff.

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2024, 19:33 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

This guy is so incredibly self centered and also naive… I don’t give a donkey’s wiff if you lose money on this hobby. If you lose it smashing a player that can never be replaced then the whole scene loses and the wastefulness of that choice is too much to not comment on.

You are absolutely not in the worst case. You’re thinking way too positively and about your situation. Since the player doesn’t work it may as well already be smashed, that’s the totally of your perspective, so go ahead and smash it even more. You’re trying to be the light of the party rather than awake. You have no “plan” other than to spend money to fix a problem that’s beyond your undertaking. That’s no plan. “Roaming dragons” don’t smash players, UPS does. I can see how you ended up owning a broken imported player that you have no idea how to fix the slightest issue with. You have faith. Faith can really screw a person.

Right now you have a player that died from lack of use. It gets a LOT worse than that. You can spend $80 shipping it each way, $500 for a repair, and end up with an empty box because it fell out of the mail truck 300 miles ago. That stuff DOES happen. Read the forum. There are some heartbreaking pictures of smashed players here.

Where in the US do you live? Are you in Nebraska or something? You bought a TV with no composite in and a player with no HDMI out so you spent a bunch of money on a box…but how far would you be willing to drive to get the player fixed? How about if you met the repairman half way? If you’re sitting on a ranch in South Dakota thinking you can mail order the LD experience…I have to say, that’s a scenario doomed by extreme impracticality. You’re at the mercy of entropy, repairmen, and delivery services. You’re kinda screwed. Your player will probably arrive back in one piece…this time. But what about next time?

Most people who have been into this hobby for over a year and are happy with it cover their bases well. They have multiple players of different levels of durability and repairability. They usually have at least the most basic ability to fix things. If you’re trying to pull this off with nothing but positive vibes and a PayPal account…I hope you’re very patient and rich.

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2024, 16:48 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I would at least look into a service like https://www.uship.com/ , which is like Uber for shipping and is recommended for delicate stuff like CRT TVs. Someone will come to your house, put the item in the back of their truck or whatever, and drive it to its destination.

Probably less likelihood of the item getting damaged that way.

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2024, 13:12 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Aside from the lack of frame memory, the CLD-HF9G is pretty similar to the CLD-R7G.

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2024, 15:25 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

The closest thing to an R7G for an American to buy is a CLD-99 or 704. So many have been smashed at this point though that noobs have started smashing R7Gs all the way from Japan to keep the hobby smashing, which is how this thread started. “Is there anything better I can smash?”, no, not really. He has pretty much the best player to smash.

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2024, 18:09 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Sign of Zeta Says: "Oh don't baby it, it's just a machine, don't over think it. JUST PLAY YOUR LDs! If it ain't broke, don't fix it. This ain't no audio/videophile convention, just watch LDs man!"

Sign of Zeta ALSO says: "NEVER transport your LD players further than driving distance, to do so is CERTAIN DEATH for LD player AND owner!!"

L.O.L.

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2024, 18:44 
Serious fan
Serious fan

spooky wrote:
Sign of Zeta Says: "Oh don't baby it, it's just a machine, don't over think it. JUST PLAY YOUR LDs! If it ain't broke, don't fix it. This ain't no audio/videophile convention, just watch LDs man!"

Sign of Zeta ALSO says: "NEVER transport your LD players further than driving distance, to do so is CERTAIN DEATH for LD player AND owner!!"

L.O.L.

:wtf:
So saying „a car has to be driven“ is the same as „feel free to drive it off a cliff“?
If it ain't broke feel free to destroy it? :lol:

Yeah. ROFL lol lol Roflcopter :lolno:

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2024, 10:32 
Serious fan
Serious fan

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2024, 18:49 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I've only heard that the DVL-H9 matches the picture quality of the CLD-R7G. There's currently one for bidding on YAJ, and the base price without shipping is over $65, but under $100.

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next