It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:30

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Sony LaserMax MDP-1100, is it any good?
PostPosted: 14 Oct 2021, 01:29 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

Asking because I found one for sale and I'm really considering buying one as my first player...

Post subject: Re: Sony LaserMax MDP-1100, is it any good?
PostPosted: 14 Oct 2021, 01:32 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Any Laserdisc player that works is a good player.

Unfortunately that's rarely the case these days with Sony machines.

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2021, 03:28 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

It looks pretty cool, but I'd only go for it if it is a really good price. More importantly, any working local player will beat any shipped player.

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2021, 12:57 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

cplusplus wrote:
It looks pretty cool, but I'd only go for it if it is a really good price. More importantly, any working local player will beat any shipped player.

I'll be honest, I don't think I'll ever find a local player; I Don't have any great thrift stores near me, just 2 goodwills; a Value Village and a community thrift shop in the next town over that probably sells only clothes. :cry:

I also snooped around FB Marketplace, and all the ones I see listed are "Ships to you" or are like a very long drive away (This is what I get for living where I live I guess lol)

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2021, 13:55 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

No, it’s not a good player but if you have to ship it then just don’t bother with Sony players ever. %99 of them are long gone and broken, also the picture sucks. Buy Pioneers and clones, that way when it breaks during shipping you may actually find spare parts and someone living who has fixed one.

I would advise just not shipping anything. There is a double digit chance it will break in shipping, then you’re back to square one with no money.

Don’t just “shop” on eBay, thinking you can click on a thing and have it running in your house in a week, like it was a SD card or something. That doesn’t work with LD, or rather very very often it goes bad. Look through other noob posts and see how many of them are about broken players. I’m serious, there are more than a couple. Things like insurance and guarantees are worthless to LD fans because they could never find another one or fix the broken one they are stuck with, they will only refund filthy disgusting cash, who needs it when what you want is a player?

Try to locate a real LD person with a spare player and buy from them. They may package it properly and it may survive the trip. Most of the Pawn Stars carnies on eBay will destroy your player once you buy it. They don’t know how to ship things, eBay is absolute meat grinder for LD players. Also, be patient. If you’ve only been looking for a week then you won’t find anything.

Also, I have to mention that maybe you should just give up on LD. It’s super expensive and working players for this never popular format are more rare than ever. You can back away now having not blown thousands on antique junk nobody wants.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2021, 15:15 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Pretty much all of that, yeah. It took me about two years before I finally came across a working player with a price/condition ratio I considered acceptable.

One thing that definitely helps is figuring out in advance what you even want to collect. If you're looking to own a physical copy of something incredibly niche that might not even be available on any modern format and also isn't popular enough to warrant some kind of a fan restoration then there's definitely an appeal and the money sink might even be worth it to you. But if all you're gonna buy is common as dirt 1990s blockbusters or Star Wars then yeah, I'm also gonna second the "give up" part. If you can get it in a much higher quality on a more accessible format that doesn't require esoteric, obsolete equipment to play it, then why not do that instead?

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2021, 00:52 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

signofzeta wrote:
They don’t know how to ship things, eBay is absolute meat grinder for LD players. Also, be patient.

So true. Probably over 90% my repairs are shipping related.

Even if they arrive "working", they will often have minor damage on the inside that isn't noticeable.

The other side is when I spend a ton of time making extremely small adjustments, I very carefully move the player to its resting spot and if someone is picking one up I make sure they know how to properly transport it to minimize the chance of anything drifting. I'm doing all of this while some carrier is slinging a LD player across some facility, throwing it in a truck and dropping it on a doorstep. I feel a lot of people getting their first player ever shipped to them have no reference for what the picture for that player should look like. Only severe crosstalk issues clearly look like herringbone distortion. A very slight amount of crosstalk looks like just an overall noisy picture.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]