PostPosted: 15 Oct 2021, 13:13 
Honest fan
Honest fan

found this report, might be of interest to some:

http://notonbluray.com/blog/comb-tb-tests/

Comb filters tested:

Pioneer HLD-X9
Pioneer CLD-D925 (Dual PAL/NTSC player)
Pioneer CLD-939 (Japanese Pioneer CLD-97)
Faroudja LD-1000 (Tweaked Pioneer CLD-99)
Leitch DPS-575 (Timebase corrector and 3D comb filter -> SDI)
Snell and Wilcox TBS-185 Kudos Plus (Timebase corrector and 3D comb filter -> SDI)
Sony HX-903 LCD Television
CYP SY-P295N S-video and composite to HDMI converter

some great explanation of the Video Essentials LaserDisc test patterns

Post subject: Re: Pioneer LaserDisc Players and their Comb Filters test
PostPosted: 15 Oct 2021, 15:00 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Well known to me.

If it's built into an LD player then (unless it's an NEC) please forget that piece of junk. The awful Mitsubishi built into the X9/S9 has more Checker-boarding in motion than all the boards put together at the international checker championship. (Unless you go to 2D only and take the sharpness/detail hit.)

The saving grace of the X9 is with a decent external comb filter through composite you can get the same level of sharpness without the horrible artefacts. The same cannot be said of the S9 which takes a hit on sharpness through it's recombined composite out. (As far as I can tell the X9 is recombined too but it seems to achieve that theoretical losses recombination, or at least close enough.)

Then the 925 s-video has dot crawl that makes my skin crawl. I won't even mention it's recombination (one well known review characterises the whole video processing chain as "torturous".) Keen to try but have not yet done the composite out mod detailed on this forum.

Done comb filters to death. NEC have a respectable showing (initially X0, updated version in R7G/H9), otherwise it's external with ADV at the summit. Very keen to see if the siingmai option can offer something more.

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2021, 00:07 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Very interesting article and great presentation, but some of those LD-specific tidbits are incorrect.

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2024, 06:23 
Serious fan
Serious fan

audioboyz1973 wrote:
Well known to me.

If it's built into an LD player then (unless it's an NEC) please forget that piece of junk. The awful Mitsubishi built into the X9/S9 has more Checker-boarding in motion than all the boards put together at the international checker championship. (Unless you go to 2D only and take the sharpness/detail hit.)

The saving grace of the X9 is with a decent external comb filter through composite you can get the same level of sharpness without the horrible artefacts. The same cannot be said of the S9 which takes a hit on sharpness through it's recombined composite out. (As far as I can tell the X9 is recombined too but it seems to achieve that theoretical losses recombination, or at least close enough.)

Then the 925 s-video has dot crawl that makes my skin crawl. I won't even mention it's recombination (one well known review characterises the whole video processing chain as "torturous".) Keen to try but have not yet done the composite out mod detailed on this forum.

Done comb filters to death. NEC have a respectable showing (initially X0, updated version in R7G/H9), otherwise it's external with ADV at the summit. Very keen to see if the siingmai option can offer something more.

Do you have any experience with the 3D comb filters which feature in Pioneer's DVR range of DVD recorders? I find the picture they produce when feeding LD though it is overly soft and lacking detail (too much DNR?). I've got no idea which chips they use though.

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2024, 19:43 
Honest fan
Honest fan

brmanuk wrote:
Do you have any experience with the 3D comb filters which feature in Pioneer's DVR range of DVD recorders? I find the picture they produce when feeding LD though it is overly soft and lacking detail (too much DNR?). I've got no idea which chips they use though.

see here:

3D Y/C Comb Filter tests

Pioneer DVR-LX70D

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]