It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 14:36

Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: HLD-X0 quick flipping, what's the deal?
PostPosted: 07 Feb 2022, 18:17 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

They promote anything that “engages users” but not if it breaks the rules. Less popular posts disappear. These are great ingredients for an ignorance pump, which is what FB is.

Not only would all of Disclords posts be gone, nobody ever would have seen them in the first place.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2022, 19:16 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

ldfan wrote:
However, I would love to follow along with these innovators.

My sentiments too. Even having an outlet to learn or support these projects, or anything about everything in general.

Something, somewhere, somehow that doesn't involve social media, harvesting my data and invading my privacy without my consent is my personal preference. We've enough going on in this world without selling our souls and those of our loved ones (some of whom aren't even old enough to have a say in the matter but irresponsible parents do it anyway) to these rotten entities.

It's funny how back in the old days if a Readers Digest survey landed on your doormat, it would go straight in the bin/trash. Now we happily hand over all of this information and more without flinching and the companies don't even have to ask. We do it willingly. A very sad state of affairs in my opinion.

Sorry for derailing the thread and also I hope my post doesn't come across like rounding on you @pbiancardi. I just hold very strong views on privacy and digital rights which struck a chord when the Facebook question was raised. :thumbup:

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2022, 20:54 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

While I don't use FB anymore it is sad if there are people who are fixing stuff that is being lost due to posts that get buried there.
The search here is very poor to say the least but it still works and one can find stuff after digging.

On FB there is no search so if you aren't on hourly and doing screen captures you are pretty much SOL.
Shame that the FB new repair tech users won't even get on here.

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2022, 16:38 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Whoa guys I didn't mean to hit the FB trigger button lol. I share your sentiments, hate the platform and all that is stands for.....but it is a handy way to chat (in groups, or private chat, or private group chat) with like minded LD and Home Theater guys. Half of the popular FB group hates everything about me but the 10 or so people I am close with are great friends and an invaluable resource when it comes to things like player repair...

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2022, 16:50 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

…you don’t hate it that much.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2022, 17:18 
Site Admin
Site Admin

teddanson wrote:
Great to hear about new innovations though for obsolete systems and media. The guys behind the Domesday Deduplicator / LD Decode and the guy making his own M Holders are great examples.

I'd love that too.

I have multiple Google Alerts on LD-related topics and... somehow their work never triggered a single one.
I get hits on Domesday projects, ld-decode, Laser Games, the work "Laserdisc" appearing in most news websites, etc. but nothing on repair or enhancements.

Where are they documenting their work?

Julien

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2022, 02:14 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

admin wrote:
Where are they documenting their work?

Domesday activity is primarily in their Discord channel. Not as archive friendly as a forum, but at least it is not Facebook.

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2022, 13:18 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Some HLD-X0s also have the gift of ubiquity (same unit being sold twice from 2 different sellers!).

US$3,400 https://www.ebay.com/itm/175164018773 (got canceled)
US$3,099 https://www.ebay.com/itm/224450553121

Julien

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2022, 16:35 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

pbiancardi wrote:
My only point is there is a whole new world of LD people out there pushing the boundaries of repair and modern system integration but a lot of people aren't following along for whatever reason (don't like FB???). These guys go way beyond minor repairs, they are full on board level technicians that can diagnose and repair faults most never dreamed possible (rebuilding "dead" lasers for example). To me this should be interesting for LD collectors who would like their equipment to work for the long haul.....

If I wanted to buy an X0 you can bet damn well it would be from the person that can repair any fault with it (even if it was at a markup over the Yahoo Japan price). Same person that got me a perfectly calibrated HIL-C1 and MDP-999 (you want to see complicated look inside one of those) sold this X0.

Hi Peter.

I understand and agree with what you say. So do I with many of the comments here. Based on context.
Frankly I detest the so called "social-media" that FB/Meta(Crapa) gives the world. It's actually anything but.

"FB had numerous issues in searching, retention, privacy, etc. The quickly disappearing wall posting system is not working for information you want static and easier to find. (could you really find posts from 10 years ago in a FB group? Disclord posts would have probably all been deleted, etc.)"

Very wise words from Julien. It seems to me, your site's only meaningful legacy is to potentially disappear 5 minutes ago. Just go ahead nothing changed. Lots of instant gratification but nothing enduring. Trust me I've tried to find things I know I read not so long ago and it's essentially impossible......

Beyond your own experimentation you have wonderful people like "Krill DeFeo"* chipping in and sharing knowledge many LD collectors would value so incredibly highly.... Personally; I'd only be thinking about how to share this in the most enduring way I could with the LD community.

Even if you can't bring yourself to introduce your followers to a more enduring format like LDDb specifically; please just consider the knowledge wonderful people like "Krill"* bring for the benefit of the preservation of the format and that this is something worth preserving for the community well beyond our own lifetimes.

*Name changed for privacy reasons!

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2022, 18:52 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

audioboyz1973 wrote:
pbiancardi wrote:
My only point is there is a whole new world of LD people out there pushing the boundaries of repair and modern system integration but a lot of people aren't following along for whatever reason (don't like FB???). These guys go way beyond minor repairs, they are full on board level technicians that can diagnose and repair faults most never dreamed possible (rebuilding "dead" lasers for example). To me this should be interesting for LD collectors who would like their equipment to work for the long haul.....

If I wanted to buy an X0 you can bet damn well it would be from the person that can repair any fault with it (even if it was at a markup over the Yahoo Japan price). Same person that got me a perfectly calibrated HIL-C1 and MDP-999 (you want to see complicated look inside one of those) sold this X0.

Hi Peter.

I understand and agree with what you say. So do I with many of the comments here. Based on context.
Frankly I detest the so called "social-media" that FB/Meta(Crapa) gives the world. It's actually anything but.

"FB had numerous issues in searching, retention, privacy, etc. The quickly disappearing wall posting system is not working for information you want static and easier to find. (could you really find posts from 10 years ago in a FB group? Disclord posts would have probably all been deleted, etc.)"

Very wise words from Julien. It seems to me, your site's only meaningful legacy is to potentially disappear 5 minutes ago. Just go ahead nothing changed. Lots of instant gratification but nothing enduring. Trust me I've tried to find things I know I read not so long ago and it's essentially impossible......

Beyond your own experimentation you have wonderful people like "Krill DeFeo"* chipping in and sharing knowledge many LD collectors would value so incredibly highly.... Personally; I'd only be thinking about how to share this in the most enduring way I could with the LD community.

Even if you can't bring yourself to introduce your followers to a more enduring format like LDDb specifically; please just consider the knowledge wonderful people like "Krill"* bring for the benefit of the preservation of the format and that this is something worth preserving for the community well beyond our own lifetimes.

*Name changed for privacy reasons!

Lol I don't have followers.

Forgetting the groups themselves, the messaging system has allowed me to meet lots of interesting people (like you) from around the world and in my own backyard. There is just so much more these guys I have met are capable of than I am. I once found a $10 Sony Muse player and was able to will it back to life but these guys now fully understand the inner workings of these players down to the board / laser level. So my only point is there are a lot of incredibly knowledgeable people there that can help with a lot of things. I do still post anything I discover (MadVR, Anamorphic Lens) here for people to see....I have yet to find anyone that followed me down those rabbit holes though.

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2022, 13:01 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

pbiancardi wrote:
Lol I don't have followers.

Well wasn't thinking in the biblical sense!! Just the particular FB group I was thinking of as typing that was started by you.

I'd just really like to see some of the knowledge you're talking about recorded and preserved in a more long term way for others to be able to use in the future.

Maybe some of that has it's selfish element; I have a shelf full of non or partially functional gear that can't find time for right now sitting there waiting as future projects. If there was a requests section for the 10 or so people you're talking about I'd like stuff like "Changing and aligning C2 lasers for dummies"!

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2022, 02:12 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

audioboyz1973 wrote:
I'd just really like to see some of the knowledge you're talking about recorded and preserved in a more long term way for others to be able to use in the future.

100% my sentiments.

i.e. http://www.laserdisc.hu/sony_hils/ (authored by user kamm) won't be lost information.

Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2