It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 06:01

Page 3 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Need advice on a LD player upgrade
PostPosted: 26 Feb 2022, 05:02 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

My personal view is buy the lowest noise, most pure composite player player possible. This allows for flexibility as technology progresses.

People also need to understand that an expensive player with slight crosstalk can have a worse picture than a cheap player with zero crosstalk. Slight crosstalk presents itself as minimal background noise. The only way to clearly see it is with a test disc. Even then, I have to set my CRT to provide the noisiest picture possible while I am dialing it out. This is not to be confused with severe crosstalk which is when you clearly see the herringbone-like noise.

Aside from internal wear and tear (i.e. cracks in plastic that do not affect playback), what does shipping or rough handling do to the crosstalk related adjustments? When I bought a player from Duncan long ago, it arrived in a massive box. It was double boxed, with packing peanuts between the inner and outer boxes.

Aside from all of that, a couple of times I have repaired players that did not have any picture quality issues (i.e. just a loading problem or bad arc suppressor), and when they pick it up they are surprised by an improvement in picture quality. It ends up that they are running awful settings on their display. Again, a cheap player can look better on a properly set display than an expensive player with terrible display settings.

What I am getting at is impulse buying an expensive player off eBay does not mean you now have a top-tier setup. In regards to expensive scalers/filters: crosstalk in, scaled/filtered crosstalk out.

Buy local, have a quality display, and have the settings correct for LD.

Post subject: Re: Need advice on a LD player upgrade
PostPosted: 21 Mar 2022, 14:13 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Update

I landed on the CLD- R7G, found a nice player in North America. It's up and running in my HT and the picture quality with or without the VDO iScan VP50 Pro is better than my previous player that is a Pioneer DVL-909.

WTB: Pioneer CLD-R7G

Page 3 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3