It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:11

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Have you had bad luck with laserdisc players arriving dead?
PostPosted: 14 Apr 2022, 17:26 
True fan
True fan

I've ordered a total of 3 players from Ebay and all 3 were Panasonic Players and none of them arrived dead. They all function properly. This guy I believe keeps ordering Pioneer Players and maybe they are all fragile or is he just unlucky because who ever is delivering it to his house keeps chucking it around too much?

Post subject: Re: Have you had bad luck with laserdisc players arriving de
PostPosted: 15 Apr 2022, 01:27 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Isn’t this the common theme of the Technical Troubleshooting section? :lol:

1) Member buys LD player on-line and has it shipped
2) Member tells us about their experience and frustration about getting a damaged player
3) We say, “you know, you should really try and purchase a player locally as players’ are fragile.”
4) Member says, “I just can’t find a player locally”. And we say, “Um…. Well I guess you have no choice then.”
5) Member buys another play on-line and has it shipped again
6) Member tells us again about their experience and frustration about getting a damaged player
7) same as “3”
8) same as “4”

Anyway, shipping an LD player is always a risk one way or another. Most of the issue are mechanical and sometimes they can be fixed. This might explain why your LX-H670 has its playback issues (probably knocked its alignment off).

As to showing up totally dead (no power), that probably means the player was likely dead before being shipped out.

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2022, 05:06 
True fan
True fan

ldfan wrote:
Anyway, shipping an LD player is always a risk one way or another. Most of the issue are mechanical and sometimes they can be fixed. This might explain why your LX-H670 has its playback issues (probably knocked its alignment off).

As to showing up totally dead (no power), that probably means the player was likely dead before being shipped out.

I don't think it's an alignment issue. It plays most laserdiscs perfectly fine. It seems to have issues with laserdiscs that either has scratches or are warped.

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2022, 06:17 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

jesuslovesgood wrote:
I don't think it's an alignment issue. It plays most laserdiscs perfectly fine. It seems to have issues with laserdiscs that either has scratches or are warped.

You mentioned as well that there are times the H670 will reset an LD from the start after fast forwarding the disc for a period of time. This is very abnormal for any player to do that unless there is something out of whack in it. Also, the fact that your 900 plays all the discs perfectly that the H670 does not is proof enough this player needs some maintenance. It’s not a disc issue.

Last edited by ldfan on 15 Apr 2022, 17:32, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2022, 07:52 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I had a old karaoke player which i gave to my brother,
By the time he drove 1hr across New Zealands harsh roads it threw the alignment out...

I had my R7G brought to New Zealand personally as carry on luggage via japan to play safe thanks to a special individual.
iScan DUO Processor
Check out my small but loved collection here..

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2022, 01:03 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

ldfan wrote:
Member says, “I just can’t find a player locally”.

I like when they say this in a reasonably large city.

Also, I think "I just can’t find a player locally." is code for "For some reason I MUST immediately purchase my first laserdisc player two decades after it was sunset and I can not wait another year."

ldfan wrote:
This might explain why your LX-H670 has its playback issues (probably knocked its alignment off).

+1

Even if a player arrives in "good enough" working condition, it could have tons of cracked plastic on the inside.

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2022, 02:43 
Site Admin
Site Admin

cplusplus wrote:
Even if a player arrives in "good enough" working condition, it could have tons of cracked plastic on the inside.

That's why they should be insured to the full cost + include the "electronics" clause for non-visible damages.
Most insurance only cover for the "cosmetic" clause, i.e. when something looks obviously broken from the outside.

Same thing if you ship all your belongings around the world for international moves, always pay the 1~1.5% extra insurance to add the electronics, pairs (if one front speaker gets damaged, you need to replace both), at replacement cost.

Julien

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]