It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 05:25

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: [LD-660] Needs repair?!
PostPosted: 11 Jun 2022, 00:50 
Third post and above
Third post and above

I saw this Pioneer LD-660 player on eBay for cheaper price, thought I would take a chance on it seeing as it came on for the guy and buttons worked too. He hadn't been able to fully test it properly as far as playing a disc, but I thought about it for a bit and said to myself, why not?! At the price I paid for it, not much of a risk really.

Unfortunately, even though the guy packed it great, UPS must have dropped it repeatedly or something because now it won't open the top loading lid by pressing Reject/Open button.
Also, the Play light/symbol on front of unit is flashing repeatedly.
Essentially it seems to be stuck this way, seeing as the lid won't open, I think due to something internally being an issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated here.
Does anyone know what the issue may be or at least know who I might contact to get it repaired for not some crazy amount of money hopefully, lol.
Sorry I have not been on here in long time, lol.
I need to update my collection and what not.
I own way more than the listed under 300 titles!!! Lol.

Anyway just reply if you can help at all, thank you very much!
If it's going to cost 2,000 dollars to get repaired i will just return it for a refund at this point I guess, lol.
Please if you see this post and want to help with some information, don't take too long, lol.

I had a contact for some guy on East Coast, don't remember his name and can't find his email etc.
Any suggestions or info is greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks folks!!!

Pete in the Poconos.

Post subject: Re: My Pioneer LD-660 model laserdisc player, Needs repair?!
PostPosted: 15 Jun 2022, 03:54 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

These have a shipping screw and if shipped without it a gear can break. I have one of these, but I'm far from an expert on HeNe models so that is just my guess. If that is indeed the cause, you can buy VNL-028 off eBay and swap it out. As far as true service and repair, these are quite niche at this point. I only know of one person that has significant experience with HeNe models.

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2022, 17:58 
Third post and above
Third post and above

cplusplus wrote:
These have a shipping screw and if shipped without it a gear can break. I have one of these, but I'm far from an expert on HeNe models so that is just my guess. If that is indeed the cause, you can buy VNL-028 off eBay and swap it out. As far as true service and repair, these are quite niche at this point. I only know of one person that has significant experience with HeNe models.

Yeah, I was able to contact Kurtis Bahr, it was what you mentioned, I figured that out by putting unit on its left side(Thanks to Kurtis), then I was able to open lid.
Unfortunately they didn't put screw in to secure it for shipping.

By the way, just out of curiosity, how do I hook this up to my flat screen HDTV?
Is this even possible?
I tried using a Coaxial to RCA adapter for the Video Out, but isn't coming up onto TV screen when I power on the unit.

I mean if its broken, who really cares right? But thought I would try to confirm it is really broken, know what I mean?
Thanks!

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2022, 18:07 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

US LD players with RF outputs are made to tune to VHF channel 3 or 4, which don’t really exist on modern TVs. If it has composite ports and your TV does too you’ll be fine.

It’s a shame that the screw wasn’t set and the player was destroyed. We get a post like yours like once a month around here. I wish people wouldn’t mail LD players…of course it’s also possible the thing didn’t work in the first place and it wouldn’t have made a difference.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2022, 18:22 
Third post and above
Third post and above

signofzeta wrote:
US LD players with RF outputs are made to tune to VHF channel 3 or 4, which don’t really exist on modern TVs. If it has composite ports and your TV does too you’ll be fine.

It’s a shame that the screw wasn’t set and the player was destroyed. We get a post like yours like once a month around here. I wish people wouldn’t mail LD players…of course it’s also possible the thing didn’t work in the first place and it wouldn’t have made a difference.

Yeah, its possible it didn't work prior to shipping, but it for sure may have broke during shipment anyway.

Thanks for reply.
I just wanted to confirm its broke.
By the way, my tv has an Antenna hook up, but not a port that says VHF.
I am assuming this won't work either?

Thanks.

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2022, 18:26 
Third post and above
Third post and above

signofzeta wrote:

Oh and also, this 660 unit has the rca ports for the audio but for the video out only VHF and also that antenna type plug, you know with the needle part you plug into it, those are the only video out ports on the unit.

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2022, 18:36 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

It has to be a TV made before analog TV went off the air.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2022, 20:41 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

The "video out" port should just output composite video, should it not? I think you'd just need an adapter to turn into standard RCA connection. I had to get some BNC ones for my old Beta deck too.

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2022, 00:47 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Yeah there is a VHF out and a "Video" out. The latter is what should be used. I just cut the end of a cable cord off and soldered it to a RCA cord. You can buy a "coax male to RCA female" adapter, but I would recommend anyone planning to frequently use one of these to order a custom cable from https://www.bluejeanscable.com for about $20 USD to avoid the adapter.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]