It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 08:37

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: [CLD-980] What power converter to use in EU?
PostPosted: 12 Jun 2022, 01:32 
First post
First post

Hi there, I'm moving to Germany and intend to keep my LD player as my discs are all NTSC, and most of them are only available in French in PAL. I don't speak French, and I don't want to give up my collection, so that's a no-go. I can convert an NTSC video signal to PAL just fine; however, Germany has different voltage and hertz than America, so electricity is an issue. The manual I found online says that my specific model's power requirements are AC 120V/60HZ, and power consumption is 37W.

Normally I'd just get a step-down converter, but my spouse is concerned that the 60HZ being different from Germany may cause some issues (They use 50HZ). I have no concept of how electronics work, Google is being vague, and I know that certain devices really don't do well with certain types of converters. Does anyone have any experience with using an NTSC LD player in Europe?

Sadly I don't own the US military model, or I'd just be able to turn a little button on the back and switch to EU voltage.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: What power converter to use for NTSC Pioneer CLD-980 in
PostPosted: 12 Jun 2022, 09:22 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

It is not uncommon to use U.S. equipment in germany.
You will find proper converters online easily, just make sure you buy one of good quality with a certain "reserve" wattage.
If your player draws 37W I'd suggest you get one that is at least good for 50W.
The 50/60Hz thing never was an issue for anything imported I used.
Also PAL/NTSC should not really be an issue in this day and age anymore, only very old and low spec displays will have trouble with that.

Post subject: Re: What power converter to use for NTSC Pioneer CLD-980 in
PostPosted: 12 Jun 2022, 19:08 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Yeah, the 50/60Hz thing is really only an issue with some really old analog only devices like reel-to-reel decks and record players. You should do fine with a basic 50 to 100 watt power converter.

If you're so concerned, you could probably just buy a different player locally that runs on the local power grid and will still play NTSC discs too, but getting a converter would definitely be cheaper and more convenient.

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]