It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 06:06

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: The unofficial LD/DVD combo thread
PostPosted: 15 Jul 2022, 19:31 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

I'm lucky this was not posted before, so welcome to the unofficial LD/DVD thread! Talk about the LD/DVD combos by Pioneer of other brands! Keep it G, people!

Post subject: Re: The unofficial LD/DVD combo thread
PostPosted: 15 Jul 2022, 20:02 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Had a Pioneer DVL-919 (was my first DVD player), a Pioneer DVL-700 and a Pioneer DVL-V888. The last one is interesting because it was a US released player that supported LD-G.

I know that Runco was supposed to release a LD/DVD combination player (the Runco LJR III), but that never happened. I guess they were going to use one of Pioneer's DVL models as the base, but I guess they abandoned that once DVD really took off and the LD market shrank quickly in the late 90s.

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2022, 00:24 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I have owned these LD/DVD combo players.

- Theta Voyager Rev.2 in Black with the progressive scan add on
- Theta Voyager Rev.2 in Silver (Sold)
- Pioneer DVL-919E
- Pioneer DVL-919

Theta Voyager are with very impressive built quality and have the best esthetic look for any LD player. It is no secret to anyone that a whole DVL-919 is inside it. The entire power supply section of the DVL-919 is bypassed and much improved, all discreet, multiple linear power supplies provide power the player. The analog video output stage and the digital audio output stages are also bypassed and new boards are used in their places. Perhaps still a great CD transport, even in today’s standards. It was an average DVD player back then, a mediocre one today. The LD section doesn’t measure up with the best but good enough in my opinion. For those who are big into music and concert LDs, this perhaps is the player to use for its excellent digital audio output and above average video. Unless you can afford an HLD-X0 which is the best in everything. For those who watch movies, your money is probably best spent on a higher end Pioneer player.

The DVL-919 is a good player. Probably a very good purchase for well under $200. The EU version is internally a 909 equivalent which is not far behind, especially on the LD side. I did not compare the picture quality of all PAL players to each other but I compared their service manuals. DVL-919E is by far the best design for PAL LDs. There are also other interesting iterations of the 919, a Karaoke version which gives you “unadvertised” LD-G decoding, a Japan only H9 version with the best 3D comb filter ever put onto an LD player and an Asian market version with a nice to look at gold finish and a nicer remote (otherwise equal to the US 919).

I have seen and/or owned the earlier DVL players in the past although very briefly. I remember the difference between the very early version to the latest version is noticeable to a very careful eye but very subtle. The Elite models have the nice side woods which are really nice to look at. They also have a built in video noise reduction function which is debatable today whether it should ever be enabled.

My short summary is, I would take the DVL-888 (Karaoke version) for its built in LD-G if one can live with its microphone inputs and the Karaoke enhancement buttons on the front fascia, I would take the Theta Voyager if I watched a ton of music and concert LDs, I would take the E version if I cared for the very few PAL exclusive LDs and I would take the H9 version if ultimate video quality was my goal and I didn’t own a top of its class video processor or a TV with excellent NTSC decoding. Neither of these versions are easy to find so you must really want a DVL to get one of these. Otherwise any DVL for well under $200 is a good buy in my opinion.

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2022, 00:53 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I only own CLD and LD players.

I never owned a DVL as I always felt they were a compromise of both the LD and DVD format and they were just very expensive vs a standalone DVD player.

I suppose I wouldn't mind acquiring one someday as the DVL mechanism is an intriguing design to study up on. However, I'll only get one if it's cheap.

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2022, 13:21 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

substance wrote:
Theta Voyager Rev.2 in Black with the progressive scan add on

Can you find a manual?

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2022, 22:31 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

laserdiscfan6888 wrote:
substance wrote:
Theta Voyager Rev.2 in Black with the progressive scan add on

Can you find a manual?

Why do you need the manual? I have it somewhere but it is a major effort to find it. It is the same as DVL-919.

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2022, 14:57 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

DVL-909 had the same DNR IC (PD3212A) as CLD-D703 based players, but it was removed in the DVL-919.

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2022, 06:52 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

cplusplus wrote:
DVL-909 had the same DNR IC (PD3212A) as CLD-D703 based players, but it was removed in the DVL-919.

Yup with a pull down resistor trick, you can turn your 909 into an Elite 91.

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2022, 16:09 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

The DVL-V888 is that karaoke DVD/LD player.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]