It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:34

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Cheap Cheap Pioneer - CLD-S250
PostPosted: 18 Jul 2022, 04:28 
Serious fan
Serious fan

1992 built Single Sided Pioneer Player

Cheap (very cheap) but working !
Needed a new loading belt...easy access.

This is the lightest player Ive encountered by far so far.!

Remarkably it works fine - goes to show if you look after even the less 'well made' and cheap players can last a very long time!

One issue - Fluorescent Display is dim and some segments are illuminating that shouldn't.

- but oddly onscreen graphics are the best I've seen compared to my other pioneer players..sharp and without any colour contamination in the white displayed graphics.

Believe this is the Australian (& also maybe the European?!) namesake for the CLD-S201?!

Has only a single Composite Video out, (and next to that a single output RCA socket labelled MONO.)

Had a preview play of this using the Extron 301...looks fine with the scaler...slight hint of more noise than say the D770.

Not sure if I will keep it..however Im noticing players I currently have are breaking down more - two players that were put in storage 6 months ago that were working did not work when checked recently....so may keep it (if I can find the room.!)

Attachments:
CLDS201.jpg
CLDS201.jpg [ 494.39 KiB | Viewed 822 times ]
CLD-2290 Digital Prob
CLD-2590K Lots issues

Post subject: Re: Cheap Cheap Pioneer - CLD-S250
PostPosted: 18 Jul 2022, 14:34 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

The international ("General Export") version of CLD-S201.

Very pure output (in regards to digitization and filtering), which might explain your OSD comment. In regards to cheaper construction, the CLD-S104 makes the CLD-S201 look like a tank.

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2022, 08:11 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

d770 wrote:
One issue - Fluorescent Display is dim and some segments are illuminating that shouldn't.

Sounds like the same issue I just wrote up for the VFD repair on my SDP-E800. If so, maybe just a bad zener diode like my unit.

d770 wrote:
Has only a single Composite Video out, (and next to that a single output RCA socket labelled MONO.)

It's a group of two RCA jacks and a mini jack for power that combined can have an outboard RF Modulator added for viewing the player on ch 3 or 4. Pretty useless today but an interesting way to save cost.

d770 wrote:
Not sure if I will keep it..however Im noticing players I currently have are breaking down more - two players that were put in storage 6 months ago that were working did not work when checked recently....so may keep it (if I can find the room.!)

If I can make room for 19 players, I think you'll find a way to keep the 201. Besides, you can never have too many players in this day in age with no new players made anymore and few spare parts.

Last edited by ldfan on 19 Jul 2022, 09:58, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2022, 09:23 
Serious fan
Serious fan

ldfan wrote:

If I can make room for 19 players, I think you'll find a way to keep the 201. Besides, you can never have too many players in this day in age with no new players made anymore and few spare parts.

My word I thought I had it bad :) ..question is physical space, also I need a workshop not a kitchen table to help fix players as well :D

Though saying that - two more cheap spares or repair players today have come into the home - so lookslike I will be kept busy for quite sometime! Might have reached my limit ! unless something really quite appealing comes my way for cheap!. 8-)
CLD-2290 Digital Prob
CLD-2590K Lots issues

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2022, 17:11 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I'm fortunate that I can spread these machines across three homes @ the moment. At some point they will come under one roof and that will be a huge challenge to store or integrate into my home theater set-ups. :?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]