It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 10:25

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Just bought a Pioneer CLD-99
PostPosted: 28 Feb 2023, 02:40 
True fan
True fan

Was looking for a CLD-95, CLD-97 but people wanted too much for those and someone ended up beating my bid on a CLD-95 that was in so so condition missing the front cover panel because it broke off. Probably a good thing I didn't Win the CLD-95 despite the fact I really like the gold plated or bronze plated back on those players. I say good thing because my CLD-3080 might be too similar to it though I believe I heard the 95 improved image quality. Also for some crazy reason someone spent over 600 dollars on a busted up CLD-97 that had video issues on the composite side and only worked properly through the s-video and the CLD-97 was missing it's wood grain. Anyways what do you think of the Pioneer CLD-99? Do you think it will beat my CLD-3080 and Fake Elite CLD-53 or give a slightly different image quality? Also I refer to the CLD-53 as a fake Elite because it can't still frame CLV. Video quality wise and even cosmetic wise I think the CLD-53 is a gorgeous player. Honestly nothing wrong with that player. I might let go of both my players or one of them if I end up being really satisfied with my CLD-99. It didn't come with it's original remote but I'm 100 percent sure my Pioneer remotes will work with it. I own CU-CLD0052 remote and CLD-CLD103 remotes.

Last edited by jesuslovesgood on 28 Feb 2023, 03:28, edited 1 time in total. _________________
CLD-99, CLD-3080, CLD-53, and LX-900

Post subject: Re: Just bought a Pioneer CLD-99
PostPosted: 28 Feb 2023, 02:48 
True fan
True fan

https://www.ebay.com/itm/266139147514

That's the CLD-95 I lost my bid to. Person showed up at last minute or last 30 seconds and I knew I couldn't beat their bid because I wasn't going to pay more than $500. I do like the gold or bronze plated back of these CLD-95 and CLD-97 players but both of these players listed on ebay looked a bit banged up. Also maybe the CLD-95 visually is too close to my CLD-3080 anyways. The CLD-99 I settled with will have the best s-video for North American release I believe with it's 3d comb which I don't know if there's any point to since newer tvs probably don't benefit from it but it's still nice to have. Anyways I think cosmetically the CLD-99 looks much better than the CLD-95 and CLD-97 that people had listed on Ebay this week and each of those buyers spent more than I did which is odd because the CLD-99 look pretty good cosmetically. It is missing it's remote and I guess some people might not like that the visual panel is on the right side instead of the bottom center.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/285153003661

This is the CLD-97 which I find gorgeous but the one listed on ebay this week had way too many issues. It's composite side produces a lot of noise which means it's probably not aligned properly and I don't know how easy of fix that would be and one of the biggest problems with this player is that someone stripped the awesome wooden panels off it. This player sold more than the CLD-95 did and looks to have many more problems.

https://notonbluray.com/blog/laserdisc-clv-smear/

https://notonbluray.com/blog/comb-tb-tests/

Pioneer players smear but it's whatever. I'd take a little bit of smearing over having 5 percent of the right side of the screen cut off on the LX-900. Also it's the white text that seems the most noticeable for smearing on Pioneer players. While the movie is going on you're probably not going to notice it as much unless you're a weirdo and looking for it. There is no perfect player when it comes to laserdisc. Well that one guy brought up Pioneer HLD-X9 but what price does that player command? Probably something ridiculous and it might be smear free like my Panny LX-900 but it probably has other weird issues with it if I had to guess and if it doesn't it's probably a super expensive ld player.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2023, 09:27 
True fan
True fan

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/thre ... er.137346/

This player is very interesting. I've done research online and different people think different things. Some love the CLD-99 and others claim the CLD-99 is weaker than my CLD-3080 and CLD-95. I will do some comparison's when it comes. Also since the S-Video has a 3d comb filter and is rated highly for the time period. I believe there's nothing wrong with me capturing through s-video. I've even seen posts on lddb where someone felt like his CLD-99 beat his CLD-97 or he preferred the overall image quality. While others disagreed. I've read either on this forum or another where some claim the CLD-99 is sharper than the CLD-97 but has a little more noise in the picture.

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2023, 05:40 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Everyone has an opinion and they all not all the same, just find the one you like and enjoy it. Getting into what looks best is judgemental to what each person likes.

Post subject: What is the weight to a CLD-99 revision 1997?
PostPosted: 07 Mar 2023, 09:48 
True fan
True fan

Comes in the mail today but for some odd reason UPS has listed it as 32lbs when I google this laserdisc player I keep coming up with 23lbs. How is it 9lbs heavier than it's suppose to be? Also this is the 1997 revision so I don't know if there might be a weight difference.

Post subject: Re: What is the weight to a CLD-99 revision 1997?
PostPosted: 07 Mar 2023, 10:50 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

jesuslovesgood wrote:
Comes in the mail today but for some odd reason UPS has listed it as 32lbs when I google this laserdisc player I keep coming up with 23lbs. How is it 9lbs heavier than it's suppose to be? Also this is the 1997 revision so I don't know if there might be a weight difference.

Is that not the weight of the player only? If its shipping in its original Pioneer packaging plus an extra outer box and plenty of extra padding/cushioning included to try reduce damage during transit then its going to push the weight up considerably. For example my X9 weighs 17kg unboxed but the weight increases to 19.5kg when sat in its Pioneer box, but when the seller shipped it from southern England to where I reside a few hundred miles north the total package when placed inside an outer box with lots of necessary additional padding pushed the weight up to 35kg!
JVC DLA-X7000BE
Lumagen Radiance 2144

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2023, 11:36 
True fan
True fan

laserfanhld-gb wrote:
jesuslovesgood wrote:

Is that not the weight of the player only? If its shipping in its original Pioneer packaging plus an extra outer box and plenty of extra padding/cushioning included to try reduce damage during transit then its going to push the weight up considerably. For example my X9 weighs 17kg unboxed but the weight increases to 19.5kg when sat in its Pioneer box, but when the seller shipped it from southern England to where I reside a few hundred miles north the total package when placed inside an outer box with lots of necessary additional padding pushed the weight up to 35kg!

9lbs is a lot of cushioning. I didn't even think a box could get that much cushioning. Bubblewrap is NOT suppose to weigh 9lbs and neither is a box. What is a box to fit a ld player in it probably around 2-3lbs. It doesn't add up to me. And as far as I know no original box. It is just the player itself without any remote which I don't really need even though I believe the original remote comes with a settings on it not on other pioneer laserdisc remotes but it's probably just tweaking the colors etc which I don't like to tinker with anyways. Only times I tinker with brightness is when I use capture programs.

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2023, 15:52 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

For me when I sell a smaller item the cardboard box is already around 6-8 ounces and thats already almost half a pound.

Its amazing when people don't take into consideration about the costs, if I print out a shipping label that ream of paper now costs of 5 bucks but I
have to drive to get it that cheap and I have to drive to drop off the package.

Its all costing money.

On another note, sometimes these shipping companies just put it in the weight range, you may put down 19 pounds but it comes to 30 so its a flat for their
machines when they scan it or however it works internally.

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2023, 16:33 
True fan
True fan

I'm going to weigh it when it comes and I believe it will be here any minute because I'm looking on UPS's website and the delivery driver is near my road unless for some odd reason a bunch of people have packages. :lol: I'm going to be happy if it comes early today. It's perfect timing for me.

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2023, 17:37 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

jesuslovesgood wrote:
Also this is the 1997 revision…..

Was there a revision?

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2023, 23:13 
True fan
True fan

ldfan wrote:
jesuslovesgood wrote:

Was there a revision?

I'm calling it a revision because of a different year. Also player is still not here. I've been waiting for it all day long and refreshing UPS's track website. The truck has come close to my house but I guess has not been on my side of the road. It's been 250 feet away from my house and 500 feet away from my house through out the day. :lol:

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2023, 23:54 
True fan
True fan

It came and it looks pretty cool looking in person but I'm noticing issues with the tray not opening quickly. Seller listed that he or someone changed the belt but I don't know if they are telling the truth or not. I might have to open this up and clean or replace the belt. :roll: I think I heard that on the cld-99 they are easy to work on so maybe it's easy to get to. If they tray is struggling to open or taking awhile to open does that mean it's most likely a belt issue? I think every time I get a player from ebay they always have issues. The easiest fix for one of my players is the Pioneer CLD-53 where all I did was clean the belt and it fixed the slow eject tray issue. I'm assuming this is having the same problem but the seller said he or someone changed the belt. Could they have possibly been lying? Who knows but I am always not a fan of opening any old expensive electronics up and trying to repair them. This player cost me $$$. However I read online this player is easy to repair. Maybe it's similar to the CLD-53 where the belts pretty much out in the open and I don't have to unscrew too much.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2023, 01:43 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

jesuslovesgood wrote:
ldfan wrote:
jesuslovesgood wrote:

Was there a revision?

I'm calling it a revision because of a different year.

If there were no verifiable changes made from year to year, then there is no revision. You are just unnecessarily confusing everyone. Just call it what it is; a CLD-99.

jesuslovesgood wrote:
Seller listed that he or someone changed the belt but I don't know if they are telling the truth or not.

No one does. You just take someone's word for it and take a chance. That's what buying used is about. No warranty & no promises and you go in knowing that expecting the worst. Thus, if you are prepared for the worst, it won't hurt so much. Also, maybe the seller isn't that technical and is just relaying what they think. It doesn't mean they are lying; they just don't know. You job is to not assume anything used comes intact and be ready to deal with it (e.g.: learn to do basic maintenance on your players; it ain't that hard).

jesuslovesgood wrote:
I might have to open this up and clean or replace the belt. :roll: I think I heard that on the cld-99 they are easy to work on so maybe it's easy to get to. If they tray is struggling to open or taking awhile to open does that mean it's most likely a belt issue?

Easier than your CLD-3080: that’s for sure. As for slow loading, most likely a stretched belt. It’s not a difficult belt to replace.

jesuslovesgood wrote:
I think every time I get a player from ebay they always have issues.

You serious? :o Haven't we all been saying this like forever; don't buy a player if it has to be shipped. But in general, you are buying "used" and can't expect equipment to work like it's brand new.

jesuslovesgood wrote:
The easiest fix for one of my players is the Pioneer CLD-53 where all I did was clean the belt and it fixed the slow eject tray issue. I'm assuming this is having the same problem but the seller said he or someone changed the belt. Could they have possibly been lying?

See my 2nd reply above.

jesuslovesgood wrote:
Who knows but I am always not a fan of opening any old expensive electronics up and trying to repair them. This player cost me $$$. However I read online this player is easy to repair. Maybe it's similar to the CLD-53 where the belts pretty much out in the open and I don't have to unscrew too much.

It's amazing how into LD you are but you have no real interest in understanding how to maintain these machines. You have to realize the more you keep picking up new players, the more the likeliness you will have have a pile broken machines in no time at all that won't work anymore. I'd like to help you keep your investment operating for years to come (instead of months) but you need to make a decision that you want to deal with these problems or just simply stop investing in it as it's going to be a money pit in no time at all.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2023, 03:44 
True fan
True fan

When I tried capturing Night Flyers on it earlier it gave me a P0 or PO error and refused to read side B. After that I captured Child's Play 2 and it read both sides. This player is behaving a lot like how my 3080 does where it's picky about certain discs or for some reason maybe randomly reads side B when ever it feels like it. :lol:

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2023, 13:03 
True fan
True fan

Is this good looking or bad? Do you like what the CLD-99 is doing picture quality wise or do you think it looks weird? This capture is through s-video. The CLD-99 is said to have a good s-video.

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2023, 05:51 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

The only way to really compare players is when you can align each player yourself after receiving them for peak performance and then compare them and never take for granted which output is the best (composite or S-Video) you need to test both. The better the alignment the lower the background noise and the possibility of crosstalk. An Elite player can look worse than a cheap player if not properly aligned. A few of us like myself sell refurbished players but we charge for our work. We are to pay this site 3% for selling here.

Just get what you like and enjoy it, you don't need to justify what you like to anyone else. You can share your preferences and that is fine.

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2023, 10:05 
True fan
True fan

I cleaned the belt earlier on the CLD-99 and now I think it is having no issues with discs. Earlier Night Life laserdisc wouldn't flip and was giving an error code. I took apart the top earlier and cleaned the belt with some rubbing alcohol but I was really careful and I wasn't pressing too hard. I got most of the black off it but I didn't strip the belt at all. I learned from my mistake when I did that with the cld-53 which I thought someone on here told me to rub hard unless I took something out of context or read something incorrectly. Either way even with my cld-53 being a little stripped on the belt that player flips fine and I haven't had any issues with it. It's incredibly easy to clean the belts on both the cld-53 and cld-99. Just have to unscrew some screws to get to it.

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2023, 02:29 
True fan
True fan

I definitely think this is one of the better laserdisc players but I do have a complaint about this Elite CLD-99 player. The smearing on it is very noticeable on it on this 43 inch lcd tv I have it hooked up to. The picture quality itself looks great but I hate the smearing. I haven't tested this on a crt tv so idk if the smearing is less noticeable on the TV they expected people to use it with back in 1995. The people that know how to repair players with modifications and other tweaks don't know how to align players to either decrease smearing or get rid of it entirely right? I'm assuming smearing has absolutely nothing with how the player is aligned it's just the way they built it I think.

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2023, 22:27 
True fan
True fan

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2023, 07:53 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Just want to congratulate you on a working player!
Screen shots look great even from a R7 user
iScan DUO Processor
Check out my small but loved collection here..

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next