It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:24

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Laserdisc Players sensitivity to OZONE
PostPosted: 17 Mar 2023, 13:15 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Hello all,

I've had an issue in my home with mould and water.

All my possessions have been treated OZONE in an attempt to remove any spores that may be hiding on or in them.

I've discovered that OZONE in high concentrations "can" damage vintage electronics...uncertain on how valid that is in a sterilisation case....but it seems that it's certainly possible to oxidise stuff with it but it seems it's especially bad for items that rely on rubber or soft plastics such as those in electrical wiring...?

Has anybody has any experience of this.....or does anybody know if anything about the mechanics of a Laserdisc that might put my player (which has already been treated to high OZONE, I'm waiting to move back in so I can get it back).... or can anybody recommend any like safety or preflight checks? I'm just worried something might have perished inside and then I spin the thing up and then it catastrophically fails while running...? :cry:

This is the model... NEC VP-LK5D
Any advice to help preserve this (what I believe to be a kind of rare model..?) would be greatly appreciated... :)

Post subject: Re: Laserdisc Players sensitivity to OZONE
PostPosted: 19 Apr 2023, 23:44 
Third post and above
Third post and above

I'm new here but I had the same problem about 15 years ago. I wasn't trying to clean up any mold or anything. I was just running an ozone machine for several hours a day to keep the house smelling fresh. That worked fine but after several months, my LD and DVD player trays would no longer open. I found that the tray belts were dry rotted and just fell apart. It seems ozone pulls all of the moisture out of rubber. I don't know if it affects electronics or wiring though. Replacing the belts fixed mine and I don't use the ozone machine anymore.

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ]