It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 07:21

Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: best comb filters
PostPosted: 14 Dec 2011, 21:09 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

lizardkingjr wrote:
Yes, this is just the raw feed out of the cheapo DVD/VHS recorder. I then pass that signal into my DVDO/iScan VP30 (with ABT102 card), and I can let my scaler play with the brightness controls, etc.

TLK :cool:

I picked up a color corrector for cheap from a guy selling a bunch of video equipment. I'm also in the process of picking up a DVD recorder. Wonder if I should both using the color corrector in the mix of an LD Player to DVD Recorder to TV/Monitor setup to help spruce up the desaturation/darkening that is happening there?

It would certainly help if I don't want to keep playing with my monitor's calibrations.

Or at least if I'm recording from LD to DVD (have a few friends asking for DVDs of several of my LDs.)

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2011, 01:08 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

elahrairrah wrote:
I picked up a color corrector for cheap from a guy selling a bunch of video equipment. I'm also in the process of picking up a DVD recorder. Wonder if I should both using the color corrector in the mix of an LD Player to DVD Recorder to TV/Monitor setup to help spruce up the desaturation/darkening that is happening there?

It would certainly help if I don't want to keep playing with my monitor's calibrations.

Or at least if I'm recording from LD to DVD (have a few friends asking for DVDs of several of my LDs.)

If the "color corrector" is composite in/out, there's almost certainly a comb (or worse, notch) filter in it, which will be the weakest link in your video processing chain by far.

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2011, 15:16 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

publius wrote:
If the "color corrector" is composite in/out, there's almost certainly a comb (or worse, notch) filter in it, which will be the weakest link in your video processing chain by far.

It does indeed have composite in/out and only composite in/out. Does it do the whole Y/C splitting and recombining that most Laserdisc players do? Would it have an adverse effect on the picture sending the LD player to the Color Corrector to the DVD recorder to the TV/Monitor?

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2011, 18:46 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

elahrairrah wrote:
It does indeed have composite in/out and only composite in/out. Does it do the whole Y/C splitting and recombining that most Laserdisc players do? Would it have an adverse effect on the picture sending the LD player to the Color Corrector to the DVD recorder to the TV/Monitor?

Without having the actual item in front of me, I can't say for certain, but all my knowledge of video equipment leads me to answer "yes" with a high degree of confidence. Look for a S-video or component-video processing amplifier (proc amp), instead, to go after the DVD recorder with its comb filter. You don't ever want to be "correcting colour" before the comb filter you are using to separate the colour signal!

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2011, 20:08 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

publius wrote:
Without having the actual item in front of me, I can't say for certain, but all my knowledge of video equipment leads me to answer "yes" with a high degree of confidence. Look for a S-video or component-video processing amplifier (proc amp), instead, to go after the DVD recorder with its comb filter. You don't ever want to be "correcting colour" before the comb filter you are using to separate the colour signal!

Well, I don't really plan on buying another color corrector. I bought this one as a novelty as I went to this guy's place to get an S-VHS VCR he was selling and was selling the color corrector for $20. When I get home, I'll get the model number and see what specs I can dig up on it.

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2011, 01:30 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Publius, here's the color corrector I have if you want to take a look:

http://www.xintekvideo.com/vp900.php

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2011, 01:58 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Yeah, the fact that the spec sheet lists "optional Red/Green/Blue" output shows that it has a colour decoder internally, & the mention of "1 line plus 2 microseconds" time delay shows that it's using a basic 2-line comb filter. Between that, the noise reduction, & so on, I wouldn't use it on LD video.

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2011, 02:54 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Oh well. It was only 20 bucks, so it will remain a novelty.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2013, 22:17 
True fan
True fan

I'm sorry to dig up an old thread, but does anyone know if the Panasonic DMR-ES10 has a good comb filter?

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2013, 01:01 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

acuozzo wrote:
I'm sorry to dig up an old thread, but does anyone know if the Panasonic DMR-ES10 has a good comb filter?

I don't know how similar these units are, but I have a Panasonic DMR-E80 and DMR-E80H, and they have great comb filters, but the Panasonic LX-600 and 900 (at least those two) have unstable color burst (or something to that effect, you should ask disclord) and so the screen lightly flashes randomly. Though it's possible the ES10 uses an entirely different comb filter.

Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2