It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:45

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Theta Digital Data III Transport, What's inside?
PostPosted: 26 Sep 2012, 11:08 
True fan
True fan

louis_steven wrote:
grasshopper wrote:
substance wrote:
SC-LX90 Susano has the marvel's qdeo chip for de-interlacing and scaling. I am not sure what kind of y/c filter pioneer used on that reciever.

Does it means if we connect the Laserdisc Player trough the composite of the the Susano it will display 1080p on LD?

I looked at the specs: Its says Composite Scaler, S-Video Scaler, Component Scaler,

For Comb Filter here what it listed-----3-D
TBC / Y/C

Duane, MI

You can download the Brochure and the complete manual also and go through it.

USA list Price is $7000.00US, This baby better make me a Rum N Coke before the Action Starts

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2012, 14:38 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

when it was discontinued, they marked it down to $3700 on bestbuy.com. there are a few used ones asking $6000 on ebay. In my opinion its not worth it. If you are spending 3k or above you should go for pre-pro setup. LX90 or 09TX(US) is not upto date with all formats now(its 4 years old)

it only processes analog video which means composite,svideo,component in. hdmi inputs are untouched.(passtru) So you cable will still look like crap at 1080i(or 720p,480i) onyour 1080p tv.

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2021, 23:35 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

I just bought this a adjusted it. It is an upgrade from a 703 I had. I'm not sure if It is the small sample size of comparison, but the theta has a better picture IMO. I think Theta creating a separate power supply for every part of the player creates a noticeable improvement. Not night and day, not less noisy, but better color rendition and finer contrast.

It is the best sounding laserdisc player I have ever heard hands down. I grew up with a philips cdv-600, which was my high water mark. Sounds are really well defined with a good soundstage. Before you say, "All digital should sound the same," not all bitstreams are created equal. It sounds much better than the 703.

I have an unusual setup in that I have a digidesign 003 with a signature Black Lion audio Mod as the DAC/preamp of my system so I can input both digital and analogue, while also having an isochronous connection to my computer via firewire. I can do direct comparisons of streaming vs cd playback using the same dac.

For the Theta being thirty years old, it does some things better than my dac alone, mainly bass for some reason. The leading edge of bass notes hit harder and more lush when compared to the same recording streamed from a wired connection slaved to the clock of the DAC. It was confusing because that shouldn't be the case. This thing is 30 years old. It should not be that good. It didn't do as well with treble resolution, but it was negligible.

The quality is obvious during laserdisc playback too. It sounds more "real" to my ears than streaming the same film despite bit rate difference, which shouldn't matter too much here. Theta made really smart changes to those players and I think they are understated steals for the audiophile/Laserdisc community.

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2021, 00:08 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

5cofflaw wrote:
The quality is obvious during laserdisc playback too. It sounds more "real" to my ears than streaming the same film despite bit rate difference, which shouldn't matter too much here. Theta made really smart changes to those players and I think they are understated steals for the audiophile/Laserdisc community.

This isn't a shock to me at all, I've never heard anything on streaming that sounds even remotely close to a poor quality DVD let alone
an LD.

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2