It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 11:53

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Theta Digital Data III Transport, What's inside?
PostPosted: 23 Sep 2012, 21:56 
I like weird (not in the direct way of the term) machines that are not common.
And Theta Digital Data III Transport called my atention. What is inside? Some say CLD99.

Post subject: Re: Theta Digital Data III Transport, What's inside?
PostPosted: 24 Sep 2012, 03:57 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

This one is a CLD-D704. Theta's goal is a digital transport for Audio so they didn't need the Adaptive filter.

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2012, 10:37 
I believe this player is still good, they say at Laserdisc Archive:

When you play a CD, the Data III shuts down video circuitry which could otherwise interfere with the audio signal.
Separate audio, video and digital circuit boards. Isolated boards and power supplies, all shielded from one another, keep picture and sound pure and clear.
Digital video processing system. New, sophisticated technology enhances the fidelity of color reproduction and improves video signal to noise ratio, yielding a
sharper and clearer picture. The combination of improved techniques takes the form of advanced integrated circuit design, time base correction, error correction, and
error compensation.

I believe it's a machine with a pretty good picture and sound quality. I don't know if there are any makor differences to the Voyager in terms of Laserdisc Playback, but seems like the picture will be better than the Pioneer 704.

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2012, 15:40 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

I know for a fact data II is a philips cdv-400 with no modifications whatsoever. they placed the entire philips player inside a big heavy theta case. there is buffer add on on the optical out added by theta which would cost about $7 dollars to build by parts from radioshack. I wouldnt be too suprised if data III didnt have much than cld-704.

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2012, 18:15 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I always thought the Data III was a CLD-99 with the DAC removed (Theta's Data transports are just that, transports with no DAC.)

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2012, 18:18 
It means you have to connect it to an Amp with a DAC right?

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2012, 18:21 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Yes. I had a Data II and the RCA connectors in the rear only worked for the analog soundtracks on Laserdiscs.

They output nothing when playing a CD.

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2012, 18:33 
elahrairrah wrote:
I always thought the Data III was a CLD-99 with the DAC removed (Theta's Data transports are just that, transports with no DAC.)

It's for sure a 704

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2012, 20:10 
Duncan does it means it has a crappy picture?

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2012, 20:38 
louis_steven wrote:

That's subjective..... help me out here Kurtis :?:

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2012, 20:44 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

louis_steven wrote:

I had a CLD-79 which is a D704 with an Elite faceplate. It's got a good picture. Sharper than most.

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2012, 20:56 
Thanks for that. I use CRT monitors in the shop so just about everything looks good :thumbup:

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2012, 22:23 
The good old CRT's :D :D :D
I have a friend who is a Sony Dealer and he still has a Sony Sony KV-36FS 70 BRAND NEW in box. Man i am going to take it just to watch laserdiscs. It used to cost 3500 Euros, he only sells it for 500 Euros, but it's worth it.

It weights 90 Kg :o :o :o :o :shock: :shock: :shock:

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2012, 04:19 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

CLD79/99/D703/D704 all basically the same picture. The 99 just has the adaptive filter, you have to decide if it is worth that.

BTW, the turning off the video circuit when playing CD's is part of the stock Pioneer players, all of these models, by use of the CD Direct button. The Theta has improved bitstream outputs, it was designed as a transport to feed an external DAC.

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2012, 14:22 
That means for example if we connect the Theta to a Receiver with a good DAC inside like the Pioneer SC-LX90 that has:

WOLFSON 192 KhZ/24-bit DAC

and to a screen set with a more modern Comb Filter the picture of the Theta i suppose it's very good?

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2012, 15:26 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

louis_steven wrote:
The good old CRT's :D :D :D
I have a friend who is a Sony Dealer and he still has a Sony Sony KV-36FS 70 BRAND NEW in box. Man i am going to take it just to watch laserdiscs. It used to cost 3500 Euros, he only sells it for 500 Euros, but it's worth it.

It weights 90 Kg :o :o :o :o :shock: :shock: :shock:

I have a Sony KV-40XBR800 WEGA HD-ready CRT. Weighs 140 Kg. I don't ever want to have to move that again.

But it's a good compromise for watching LDs and DVDs and blu-rays.
louis_steven wrote:
That means for example if we connect the Theta to a Receiver with a good DAC inside like the Pioneer SC-LX90 that has:

WOLFSON 192 KhZ/24-bit DAC

and to a screen set with a more modern Comb Filter the picture of the Theta i suppose it's very good?

Should sound and look good. Even the Theta Pro II DAC that was sold to be the mate with the Data II was only a 20-bit DAC. The 24-bit DAC in my Elite receiver worked damn well with the Data II.

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2012, 22:22 
True fan
True fan

Attachment:
theta_data_3.jpg
theta_data_3.jpg [ 34.68 KiB | Viewed 6262 times ]
My long time Ld customer/Friend in OH, purchesd the Data III along with the Matching DAC about 5 years ago.

I will post photos, butI couldn't locate his that he sent to me in 2008. But the photos shows exactly what his setup for the Theta DAC 2 and the Theta 3 Ld transport.

It was very interesting when he told me about the procedures on letting the DAC stay on all night before first use. Something about the 1 and Zeros. He was going to make a manual of both. He said you had to be a engineer to read and learned how to use that DAC and players. He said it was the most technical users manual he had ever read.

He drove up twice from OH, to drop off a 97, 606, Pioneer flagship THE DV-09 to fix.

He did like the Theta Setup, but more concern with RedBook CD playback.

Duane, MI

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2012, 00:01 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

SC-LX90 Susano has the marvel's qdeo chip for de-interlacing and scaling. I am not sure what kind of y/c filter pioneer used on that reciever. It has RF in for laserdisc which is very rare for a modern receiver. If they thought of RF in, I am sure they also designed a decent analog video section. Wolfson makes very fine DACs. however susano uses digital switching amps ( Class D). although these amps are exteremly efficient I am not sure if they are the best for music reproduction.

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2012, 01:00 
True fan
True fan

substance wrote:
SC-LX90 Susano has the marvel's qdeo chip for de-interlacing and scaling. I am not sure what kind of y/c filter pioneer used on that reciever. It has RF in for laserdisc which is very rare for a modern receiver. If they thought of RF in, I am sure they also designed a decent analog video section. Wolfson makes very fine DACs. however susano uses digital switching amps ( Class D). although these amps are exteremly efficient I am not sure if they are the best for music reproduction.

If Im correct, the USA model is the SC-09tx, the last massive receiver that had every feature possible and AC-3 RF in. I believe they still fetch around 6k used.

I believe it had excellent reviews, and I think I have a issue with the review somewhere.

Now that would be a one for Futureproof if your using all the newer formats and audio setups with your Laserdisc Player and LD collections.

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2012, 10:22 
[quote="grasshopper"][quote="substance"]SC-LX90 Susano has the marvel's qdeo chip for de-interlacing and scaling. I am not sure what kind of y/c filter pioneer used on that reciever.

Does it means if we connect the Laserdisc Player trough the composite of the the Susano it will display 1080p on LD?

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next