It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 19:58

Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Pioneer CLD 95 vs. 97 vs. 99
PostPosted: 02 Apr 2013, 19:52 
True fan
True fan

elahrairrah wrote:
elviscaprice wrote:
Then let me restate it correctly from the overly presumptive view of constant crash short term.

Just as much as the analog material LD's will all eventually rot, so do the HDD's eventually run the course of their life and crash. What's the point?
Always, always have backup's. Analog or digital and you will never lose the material.

8-) Elvis

Except I have plenty of LDs that have outlived HDDs.

And don't just "restate" it. You should edit your post since you flat out lie.

What is your problem? If you read the post I was referring to, you would see that I was replying to an overtly statement that would seem to indicate constant HDD crashes as a reasoning for non digital filling.
I did not intend for it to be a statement for all time.
I'm not here to get in a pissing match with you. I will leave it at that.

Also I would note that sata HDD's have only been around for ??15 years. All of mine are still operational except for the size hindrance. Hard to compare with LD's when they have been around for 35 years? Verdict still out. But I will concede that due to the intricacy of the HDD's that they will lead to an average shorter lifetime run than LD's. But that's not the point.

The point is that HDD's are a fantastic option for backing up an analogue collection or even becoming the sole collection. The positives are many. Doesn't make me any less fan of original analogue material since I am a minimalist who choses to collect my material to HDD's and resell the analogue material on the open market. I appreciate that material just as much from yester year.

Elvis

Last edited by elviscaprice on 02 Apr 2013, 20:48, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2013, 20:45 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Don't claim truths to be "fallacies" and we won't have these exchanges.

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2013, 22:58 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

We've been over this in another thread. This guy thinks HDs don't fail, the rest of us live on planet Earth.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2013, 01:59 
True fan
True fan

Everybody has an opinion on HDD's and life span. Can't believe I'm the only one that knows how to handle the Sata drives correctly so they last for a long time.
Always buy the internal sata drives separate from the encasing. Buy a separate encasing for the current technology transfer that is convenient for you.
Place drives in safe place away from any contact when in opperation, use correct casing cooling and you have a drive that should last for years if not decades.
I've heard of others receiving faulty drives from manufacturer, but out of the 30 plus drives I have none have been faulty.

8-) Elvis

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2013, 02:58 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Your HDs that have lasted a "long time" are half as old as my newest LD, maybe. Actually, I think my newest LD is my Gundam TV series from 1999, 14 years ago. Do you have any 7 year old hard drives? A large portion of my collection dates back to 80MB SCSI I drive days.

The reason you have so much faith in HDs is that you haven't owned enough of them long enough, probably because you aren't old enough, and you almost certainly haven't worked in any capacity in the IT profession where you'd see HDs fail quite often. The reliability of HDs isn't just "opinion" either. I'm sure HD manufacturers have accumulated unreadably huge mountains of data on failure rates.

What I don't get is why you are digitizing low res analog video. The combination of composite video and terrible capture devices make for pretty miserable video quality most of the time. I've never seen a digitized LD look as good as an actual LD on my TV. With you being such a minimalist high tech on the to guy, shouldn't you just have a huge collection of Pirate Bay Bluray rips?

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2013, 03:08 
True fan
True fan

signofzeta wrote:
Your HDs that have lasted a "long time" are half as old as my newest LD, maybe. Actually, I think my newest LD is my Gundam TV series from 1999, 14 years ago. Do you have any 7 year old hard drives? A large portion of my collection dates back to 80MB SCSI I drive days.

The reason you have so much faith in HDs is that you haven't owned enough of them long enough, probably because you aren't old enough, and you almost certainly haven't worked in any capacity in the IT profession where you'd see HDs fail quite often. The reliability of HDs isn't just "opinion" either. I'm sure HD manufacturers have accumulated unreadably huge mountains of data on failure rates.

What I don't get is why you are digitizing low res analog video. The combination of composite video and terrible capture devices make for pretty miserable video quality most of the time. I've never seen a digitized LD look as good as an actual LD on my TV. With you being such a minimalist high tech on the to guy, shouldn't you just have a huge collection of Pirate Bay Bluray rips?

If you followed any of my posts over the few years I've been here you would know that I'm primarily interested in music videos, promo especially, along with selected live performances. Often some of these analogue materials are not to be found in any digital format or subpar. I am in the least bit interested in analogue movies.
As far as HDD's go, yes I have many HDD's over 7 years old. In fact I have been perfecting and digitizing materials well over 10 years now and I am quite pleased with the results. Often I go back to my transferred library to remaster material as my skills have developed along with adding higher quality sound or even creating new video tracks. It's all fun. Love it.

8-) Elvis (Retired in CR)
P.S. Wish the fish we're biting.

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2013, 05:01 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

i was going to comment but see that you are retired :thumbup:
so enjoy the LDs that you get and copy and enjoy the hard drives.
for me i don't like, or wait, i've never tried the hard drives.

but i do like owning the LDs and playing them, i also like my CDs, DVDs and LPs, i would prefer LPs
over CDs if it weren't for the pops and cracks, i just can't stand that fault at all with LPs. :x

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2013, 05:40 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

rein-o wrote:
but i do like owning the LDs and playing them, i also like my CDs, DVDs and LPs, i would prefer LPs
over CDs if it weren't for the pops and cracks, i just can't stand that fault at all with LPs. :x

This is fixed by constantly buying new copies. :)

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2013, 06:56 
True fan
True fan

rein-o wrote:
i was going to comment but see that you are retired :thumbup:
so enjoy the LDs that you get and copy and enjoy the hard drives.
for me i don't like, or wait, i've never tried the hard drives.

Thanks Rein-O. Yeah, if I had the space and not on the go, I would probably hang on to some of the analogue or digital materials. HDD's is just a better option for me and has worked out well. Let's me enjoy the collection down here in Costa Rica after a morning or evening of fishing. :thumbup:

8-) Elvis

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2013, 23:15 
hauntmedoitagain wrote:
Not to repeat what has already been said, but:

A decent LD player outputting through composite > a DVD recorder with a good comb filter outputting through S-video > calibrated CRT monitor will yield the best PQ results every time.

No amount of snake oil is going to change the fact that you're dealing with low resolution video designed primarily for viewing on a CRT.

Exactly! So that is the reason why LD 4:3 discs should be viewed on a 4:3 CRT set. LD, VHS, and those wonderful formats should be viewed on CRT sets. If you plug a VCR into an LCD TV, it looks absolutely horrible, (except of course, if you're like me and have DVHS).

PostPosted: 02 May 2013, 15:22 
True fan
True fan

I have a for-parts-or-repair Pioneer Elite CLD-95 for sale here: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=2684

PostPosted: 06 May 2013, 11:01 
Serious fan
Serious fan

jpass992 wrote:
Which of these players do you think would give the best PQ on LD playback. Most importantly, which of these players is better suited for LCD and which of these players is better suited for CRT? Also, I'm somewhat interested in AC-3, so would a modded 95/97 be better or the 99 be better? It seems to me that one of the advantages of the 99 would be the 3D VNR, however, both the 95 and 97 are better built than the 99. However, on certain discs, the 95 I had tends to be grainer than my other players. And yes, I do understand about the whole composite/S Video issue.

I prefer the 97, because it seems to have lower video noise than the 99. (Though the 99 seems to have a sharper, clearer picture compared with the softer image from the 97.) I've never experienced the 95, so I can't comment on that player. I've also only viewed these players through a CRT HDTV, and not on an LCD or Plasma TV.

Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2