It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:20

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Do cables make a difference
PostPosted: 18 Dec 2011, 05:24 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Hey all
I have discovered SVideo sucks on laserdisc. Just doesnt cut the grade, so that being said, does the quality of the cable make a difference? Do monster video cables make any difference over the 99 cent store cables? Does one little yellow cable work better then another little yellow cable. Now, I am off to check and see if my svideo cable is bent before anything else.

Post subject: Re: Do cables make a difference
PostPosted: 18 Dec 2011, 07:18 
I've don't some frankensteining of cables before and I have definitely noticed a difference in the real meat of those cables. Higher quality cables simply have more copper conductor, and more shielding. Is there a reason to get the super expensive cable? IMO no. Don't get something flimsy. Get something thick. Something like MonoPrice sells. Now if you're planning on doing in wall installation you may need to get something by Monster or similar because they make cables with jackets that are up to code for in wall installation (CL2 or CL3 rated). Maybe others with more experience can chime in, but I bet once you get cables that is of monoprice's quality, there's little improvement that can be made.

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2011, 07:33 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

It's pretty common to find that the S-video is not as good as the composite video on LD players, while the opposite is often true on VHS machines. All having to do with the format of the recorded material, and the processing done to get it to that particular output.

With cables, it does seem that a good quality and shielded cable will show it's better performance easily vs the 99 cents store cable, but once you get up to really expensive cables, the effect of diminishing returns sets in. Meaning why spend 90 percent more for a cable that improves you picture by only 2 percent?

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2011, 08:44 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I just happen to have a set of monster cables I picked up in a trade a long time ago. I will check them out and see if there is a difference. I was suprised on the Svideo.

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2011, 15:27 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

what if you have an elite? or an LDS2? or an HLD? is composite still better even with those machines?(not that i can afford one anytime soon lol)

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2011, 17:00 
I think the general consensus in the HT community is that cable quality doesnt make much difference for things like HDMI and speaker wires, as long as the cheaper ones meet some minimum standards. However in my non-scientific and mostly speculative opinion it does make a difference for the analog video signal. Investing a few extra dollars for the shortest possible rca cables (component and/or composite) of good quality isn't a bad idea.

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2011, 17:41 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I tend to avoid those cheapo molded yellow, red and white capped RCA cables. I get cables with some sort of insulation to help protect the analog signal therein.

Though I don't overpay for cables either (like Monster Cables.)

The Sears near me used to carry Acoustic Research cables, which were insulated and fairly priced. Not anymore though.

I sometimes use Radio Shack cables as well with the gold connectors, but I learned early on that if you're going to use them, put some silicone or petroleum jelly on your connectors as you might not be able to get them off! I basically ruined a good VCR trying to get those cables off of the video inputs with those cables--the connector cap pulled clean off of the VCR.

Phillips also made some insulated, gold tipped cables that were reasonably priced. I used to get them at Walmart, but they don't carry them anymore.

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2011, 18:03 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Found a pair of short thick cables. The copy of demons I have looks as good as any Dvd.

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2011, 23:21 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

yazorin wrote:
what if you have an elite? or an LDS2? or an HLD? is composite still better even with those machines?(not that i can afford one anytime soon lol)

Yes

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2011, 06:26 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

The biggest jump you can do for cabling is throw away the cheap cabling and buy 99.99% oxygen free cable. That is where you get the biggest difference and speaker cable is analog and it also makes a difference there. For HDMI you can use longer runs if you get oxygen free cable. I agree monoprice is a good place to get decent cable and not spend too much. Audio wise to go to the high dollar cables what you are working on is the sound field placement for stereo systems. I would not spend the extra over the monoprice cables for video cables.

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2011, 03:54 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I started out with the regular cables, and then decided to give basic Monster Cables a try. Was quite an improvement. Monster Cables are really expensive here, so i searched e-bay, and found both the video and audio cables for under 10 dollars each. They were new unpackaged surplus stock, which comes alot cheaper that way.

I can't remember the seller I got mine from being it's been awhile, but these are the audio ones (bulk packaging)

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Monster-Cable-In ... 2569e74524

This is the video cable

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Monster-Cable-MO ... 3cbffc3f0b

It might not be their top of the line cables, but for the price there pretty good.

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2011, 06:41 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I bought a laserdisc collection. It had a non working elite 91 in it. Attached to the player were 2 monster audio cables which are think as heck and an monster svideo connector which I know know is more or less for the player. Regardless, they do make a difference.

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2011, 07:29 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Hooked up monster cables many years ago...
Have not looked back since.
Noticed dramatic improvement of audio/video like night and day !
Once you go there, no going back,no way !

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2011, 23:03 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

firehorse_44 wrote:
Hooked up monster cables many years ago...
Have not looked back since.
Noticed dramatic improvement of audio/video like night and day !
Once you go there, no going back,no way !

This is the difference going to the 99.99% free oxygen free cables make, the monster cables are better quality cable. My issue with Monster is you pay a lot for the name verses going somewhere like monoprice. If you have monster cable use it as it is better than the stock cables and you should hear and see it.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2011, 23:29 
What I hate are the cables with compression fittings. I have taken off the RCA jack grounding piece a few times using those.

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2011, 22:46 
True fan
True fan

Acoustic Research cables are the best I've ever used. If you want to get insulation crazy try Python cables. They are as thick as a small snake, hence the name.

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2011, 06:23 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I have some Mon$t@# cables that I picked up on the bay years ago, I think at the time they were around $75 but I got them used for 35-40?

Now they will be much cheaper.
They are thick and grey with a black net case around them.

Though, I don’t like Mon$t@# anymore and don’t want to promote them after reading somewhere that they sue any and all that use Mon$t@# in there name.

PostPosted: 04 May 2012, 02:16 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Be aware there is a ton fake brandname cables on ebay and amazon. If you google fake monster or audioquest cables,there should be plenty of how to spot fake cables talk. They look amazingly similar but using cheaper materials.

PostPosted: 04 May 2012, 02:33 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

here is a good one for speaker wire.
i think i can trust him
http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm

as for S-video i bought a cheap one once and it was Horrible.
but check the quality S-video topic.

there are fake everything now.
thanks china, or thanks mr. BIG company that goes to china and shows them how to make stuff,
now they know how to make the lesser quality and use your logo is on your web site so they can
download it and print it out just like you do :thumbup:

as for mnster i won't buy their products anymore due to them sueing for using the name Mnster OR
wanting the government to make laws for
places like the bay and crgslist from selling used mnster cables since they are losing money :cry:

PostPosted: 04 May 2012, 13:43 
I Use à THX Monster scart cable 1.5 meter it was 99 euro. I always thought that people where crazy but now u really know the diff. Between good and bad cables! Just get them think and gold. :lol: :P

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next