It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:31

Page 3 of 3 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Does it get much better than a CLD-D702?
PostPosted: 20 Feb 2019, 04:42 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

spudeus wrote:
OTOH, the provided remote does not work, but I have a Harmony universal which supposedly accepts older LD device codes.

I would, for one, keep the original remote since they can be fixed. I would check the battery contacts first to see if there is any potassium residue and clean it up since it would insulate the contacts and prevent new batteries from working.

If that is not the issue, maybe a cold solder joint or a crack in the board that can be fixed with a soldering iron.

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2019, 14:58 
Honest fan
Honest fan

ldfan wrote:
I would, for one, keep the original remote since they can be fixed. I would check the battery contacts first to see if there is any potassium residue and clean it up since it would insulate the contacts and prevent new batteries from working.

If that is not the issue, maybe a cold solder joint or a crack in the board that can be fixed with a soldering iron.

I did check the contacts for residue - looked clean. Strangely, the 'Lighting' button does work, but no response from anything on the player. I doubt I have the mechanical skill to effectively solder, but I will hold on to it - I see this particular remote model is available online if I want to pony up more cash.

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2019, 17:51 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

spudeus wrote:

I did check the contacts for residue - looked clean. Strangely, the 'Lighting' button does work, but no response from anything on the player. I doubt I have the mechanical skill to effectively solder, but I will hold on to it - I see this particular remote model is available online if I want to pony up more cash.

If it’s lighting up, good sign the remote is fine. If you have a digital camera, shining the IR into the lense barrel and observing the viewfinder will show a blinking light when you press a button on the remote (in most cases).

If you are getting that, then the remote is fine and now you need to figure out what might be wrong with IR receiver on the player. You might want to look at the back of the player first and make sure nothing is plugged into the SR Control “In” jack as that would kill the IR.

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2019, 21:25 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

xtempo wrote:
a quick note on Harmony remotes that they are all different so you would have to research what features you want to use on your LD player and get which HR model is more advance and possibly will work with all the features you want but still for some players I feel like I need to the OG remote since my harmony haven't helped much on some settings which I can't change. I have yet to buy the really advance one [the high end model ] so that one would might help the best for all y equipment rather than the ones I have used.

Pioneer made really good remotes for LD* if you’re really into using your LD player that is. No universal that I’m aware of has a LD compatible jog dial. Even getting the Audio or DA/CX buttons isn’t easy with most and those are crucial for me personally, ditto for all the Multi-speed and repeats. I use almost every button on the stock CLD-99 remote at least once a week. The basic design of that remote is used on many others, they just don’t usually have the backlight or variable DNR buttons. As long as the player is new enough to use the Audio button** it has I’d hunt one of those down.

* Remotes for Laseractive and DVLs suck, but most are good.

** Some earlier players have a button that switches between Analog and Digital and another that picks between 1/L and 2/R. Later players only have one button and it cycles through all six choices.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2019, 14:56 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Just a quick note, I ordered a refurbished remote for the D701 from Remote Control Depot (the old one failed the 'selfie test'). Seems to work great, so worth the extra cost. I have 2 functional players + 2 matching remotes!

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2020, 19:33 
Third post and above
Third post and above

This a Denon LA-3100 but appears to be the same unit as a CLD-D702. I am trying to fix this but cannot, for the life of me, understand how to remove this metal part. I removed the plastic part which screws into this and after reviewing picture in this thread realized this part should come up then the disc is ejected. It appears to have some sort of magnetic locking mechanism. Any help would be appreciated.
Randy

Attachments:
Denon Motor 1.2.jpg
Denon Motor 1.2.jpg [ 368.17 KiB | Viewed 2180 times ]
Denon Motor 2.2.jpg
Denon Motor 2.2.jpg [ 395.73 KiB | Viewed 2180 times ]
q9v2fL_1.jpg
q9v2fL_1.jpg [ 354.48 KiB | Viewed 2180 times ]

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2020, 20:32 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

It is just a really strong magnet. The clamper should not have been disassembled in this manner, but you can try pulling straight upwards- taking care not to damage the spindle assembly.

The clamper assembly comes out as one large piece. You can see a photo of ldfan holding it on page two of this thread.

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2020, 01:38 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

cplusplus wrote:
It is just a really strong magnet.

Funny you mention this.....

The issue I have with my two Denon, LA-3100 is actually quite interesting as they both have very strong magnets in their clamper assembly that really makes the machine struggle to eject when the units are cold (sounds like the typical belt issue where it squeals and when the clamper finally pulls away from the spindle there will be a somewhat loud thump). Also, a nuisance of this issue is related to CD’s that get stuck in the mechanism and end up falling into the machine when ejecting so then I have to open it up to remove it.

Anyway, I have messaged Kurtis about this and he did state that stronger magnets are not unusual (and preferred for a tighter grip) but a remedy to the issue could be to grease the clamper assembly and all the parts related to its movement right down to where the loading gears are located. I haven’t gotten around to doing this yet so I can report back when I do finally get it done. If that doesn’t work, I might try something to insulate the magnet more to make it a tad weaker but I would have to work that out first. Also, I do have a 701 which is what the 3100 is based on (they both don’t have coaxial digital outputs which the 702 has) and its clamper is totally fine. I may take both units apart and swap parts to see how they may function to help diagnose the issue further.

Sorry for high jacking this part of the topic. I initially was confused by mrhifi’s issue and since I ended up writing this up before I realized it I figured I post it anyway in case anyone else had strong magnet issues.

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2020, 02:48 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

For CD's not releasing, the centering ring of the spindle motor extends further up into the hole in the center of the CD than a CD only drive. If you clean the hole out in the center of the CD they will usually then eject fine. Lubricating the CD centering ring can also help as discussed above.

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2020, 03:10 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Thanks for the tip Kurtis. A lot simpler than re-greasing the whole mechanism :thumbup: .

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2020, 17:11 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

ldfan wrote:
when the clamper finally pulls away from the spindle there will be a somewhat loud thump

Yep. I think I'm going to try a thicker, tighter belt on these.

ldfan wrote:
a remedy to the issue could be to grease the clamper assembly and all the parts related to its movement right down to where the loading gears are located. I haven’t gotten around to doing this yet so I can report back when I do finally get it done.

I've been meaning to as well. I have done the full clamper, but I have also been meaning to getting around and making a guide for the loading section. I completely disassembled the turn mechanism for these too since one of them was completely gummed up with that orange goop and took photos I need to post.

ldfan wrote:
If that doesn’t work, I might try something to insulate the magnet more to make it a tad weaker but I would have to work that out first.

Interesting idea- I have not thought of this.

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2020, 17:17 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I have a video eraser electric magnet and that takes the magnetic strength out of anything, but it may be too much.

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2020, 18:23 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Thank you folks for your input. I finally figured it out. After realizing it was just held down by a strong magnetic force, I used a small screwdriver, being carful, to pry it up. Inserted it into the center and pushed down and wa-la it came off. This is the first time I had to take the unit apart due to the door not opening up. BTW I should have measured the belt while I was in there as it is the original. I plan to replace it but did not check the length. Anyone here have that dimension? I'm guessing 4"-4.5"?

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2020, 01:51 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

mrhifi wrote:
Anyone here have that dimension? I'm guessing 4"-4.5"?

I think I used 4.0 last time, but I'm going to try a 3.8 next.

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2020, 17:39 
Third post and above
Third post and above

That's my guess as well. I have a couple of 3.5" but those appear to be a bit small. Ordered a selection of sizes a bit larger and thicker as well. The 3.5" seem a little on the thin side.

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2020, 19:00 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

You can also search PEB-1013 as that is the belt part number for this chassis of player. I know eBay has them all the time. I need to get around to re-stocking my inventory on them soon.

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2021, 18:35 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Measured my old belt and it was about 4.2". I ordered a replacement from https://www.turntableneedles.com/Square ... p_331.html and it worked perfectly. My Denon LA-3100, which is the same as the Pioneer CLD-702, now works like new again. Thanks to all of your inputs.

Page 3 of 3 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3