It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:01

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Sony MDP-355GX (Military LD player??)
PostPosted: 15 Dec 2016, 08:22 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Well I saw this on ebay.com.au for the reasonable price of $175 delivered and got it for a backup to my current main player (Sony MDP-650) while I keep saving and looking for my grail player (Sony HIL-C1 or C2EX).

It arrived today in good order. Audio and video are very good as with all Sony players I've had. The tray mech is a bit noisy and may need a lube? The complex tray doors of many Sony players are their downfall.

I've NEVER had a Sony player fail mid play, once she spins she spins and this is a single sided player so should be even more reliable there. It all seems solid. Has the right hookups (Always need optical out because I like to dub music LDs to MD for portable listening)

I can't find much info online but one interesting thing about it is that it's quad voltage! Does 100/110/220/240v! I've also seen it listed as a "military" LD player. From this I'm guessing the model was sold in PX stores at US installations world wide? Perhaps my model belonged to a US military family posted to Australia? Or was the model intended to be used by US DOD for training films??

Anyway glad I got this, it now sits proudly on my console and it seems like a solid player. I love the way all Sony products from that era look. If anyone has any info on this or any tips on lubing the tray mech please post.

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ]