It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 01:36

Page 2 of 2 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Any disadvantages of DVL-909 or DVL series?
PostPosted: 15 Feb 2018, 14:39 
True fan
True fan

Guys did anyone here ever had to replace capacitors of the Pioneer DVL 909 power supply ( the European 220/240v one ). If yes could you point me in the right direction to get the correct capacitors.

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2022, 02:39 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

Kind of confused, does the Pioneer Elite DVL 91 play DTS Laserdiscs?

My old Laserdisc player would do DD 5.1 but, that demodulator I had to buy for it to do the audio died on me years ago, and from what I can tell the DVL 91 does DD 5.1 thru optical etc and no additional boxes etc needed. But wasn’t sure about the DTS since back over player doesn’t specify a DTS output unless it just uses the same as the DD 5.1.

I was thinking of buying a DTS Laserdisc to test it out.

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2022, 05:46 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

jackbluray wrote:

Any LaserDisc player w/ an optical or coaxial digital output can output the DTS codec for LD.

jackbluray wrote:
My old Laserdisc player would do DD 5.1 but, that demodulator I had to buy for it to do the audio died on me years ago, and from what I can tell the DVL 91 does DD 5.1 thru optical etc and no additional boxes etc needed.

You still need the AC3-RF Demodulator to convert the DD 5.1 codec from a "LaserDisc". For Dolby Digital and DTS from a "DVD", you use the optical or coax digital output. That is why you still see an "AC3-RF Out" jack on DVL models.

jackbluray wrote:
But wasn’t sure about the DTS since back over player doesn’t specify a DTS output unless it just uses the same as the DD 5.1.

The digital outputs on LD players have been around since 1988 which means they were included in some players 8 years before DTS was even a thing. They were incorporated for sending out the PCM digital tracks to an outboard DA Converter if you wanted to have better two channel audio vs the DA Converters built into the players. Anyway, the reason DTS works on digital outputs is because DTS decided to take over the PCM track and recode it w/ the DTS codec (Dolby Digital is encoded by stealing what would be the right channel of the analog audio track).

Now, the reason you don't see even later players after 1996 stating something like "PCM/DTS Out" on LD players is because DTS is not considered a part of the official LD standard (don't ask me why, that's all I know).

Last edited by ldfan on 05 Apr 2022, 10:05, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2022, 05:50 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

ldfan wrote:
jackbluray wrote:

Any LaserDisc player w/ an optical or coaxial digital output can output the DTS codec for both LD and DVD.

jackbluray wrote:
My old Laserdisc player would do DD 5.1 but, that demodulator I had to buy for it to do the audio died on me years ago, and from what I can tell the DVL 91 does DD 5.1 thru optical etc and no additional boxes etc needed.

You still need the AC3-RF Demodulator to convert the DD 5.1 codec from a "LaserDisc". For Dolby Digital and DTS from a "DVD", you use the optical or coax digital output.

For this model which was released in 1999 It seems you don't need a Demodulator for DD, according to the instruction manual they never mention needing one, that you can connect direct to AVR and if you connect using optical cable you can switch the out put from PCM or Dolby Digital output.

Link to the Manual:
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/77708 ... =47#manual

I don't have the unit yet to be 100% sure but again not mentioned in manual at all.

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2022, 06:00 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

jackbluray wrote:

For this model which was released in 1999 It seems you don't need a Demodulator for DD, according to the instruction manual they never mention needing one, that you can connect direct to AVR and if you connect using optical cable you can switch the out put from PCM or Dolby Digital output.

Link to the Manual:
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/77708 ... =47#manual

I don't have the unit yet to be 100% sure but again not mentioned in manual at all.

I don't think you realize that manual was written back in the day when AVR's actually had AC3-RF Demodulators "built in" to them. There has not been an AVR made since the early 2000's that have that feature anymore. That is why you need the Demodulator for newer AVR's if you want to listen to the DD 5.1 track on LD.

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2022, 06:18 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

jackbluray wrote:
Great I just spent over $700.00 on a Pioneer Elite player that is as useless as the current LD Player I already have. I
kept reading the manual. They are a little vague, but you are right.
What a waste. A demodulator alone costs a fortune. so odd there is no other way to get DD audio from a LD player.

You can still get a decent lower cost AC3-RF Demodulator but you have to think out of the box.

I use older processors to extract the AC3 track from my LD. Shop around for the following models on eBay…

Sony, SDP-E800
Sony, SDP-EP9ES
Denon, AVD-2000

They are getting harder to find now but when they become available you might get a good deal on one (I think I paid about $70 for the last one I got).

And when you do get one, you should connect your player’s AC3-RF Out and Digital Out to this processor and then connect the optical digital out of the processor to your AVR (don’t use the six channel outputs). By doing this, it will conveniently allow you to switch between Dolby Digital, DTS, and PCM.

Last edited by ldfan on 21 Mar 2022, 09:34, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2022, 06:34 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

jackbluray wrote:
Great I just spent over $700.00 on a Pioneer Elite player that is as useless as the current LD Player I already have. I
What a waste. A demodulator alone costs a fortune. so odd there is no other way to get DD audio from a LD player.

Keep your money in your pocket until you know what your buying and what it will do.
iScan DUO Processor
Check out my small but loved collection here..

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2022, 22:52 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

You don't need a demodulator for DVD's to get Dolby Digital BUT YES you do need a demodulator for Laserdisc to get AC-3 or Dolby Digital 5.1. That is why the player has an AC-3 RF output on the back.

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2022, 23:03 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

ldfan wrote:
jackbluray wrote:

You can still get a decent lower cost AC3-RF Demodulator but you have to think out of the box.

I use older processors to extract the AC3 track from my LD. Shop around for the following models on eBay…

Sony, SDP-E800
Sony, SDP-EP9ES
Denon, AVD-2000

They are getting harder to find now but when they become available you might get a good deal on one (I think I paid about $70 for the last one I got).

And when you do get one, you should connect your player’s AC3-RF Out and Digital Out to this processor and then connect the optical digital out of the processor to your AVR (don’t use the six channel outputs). By doing this, it will conveniently allow you to switch between Dolby Digital, DTS, and PCM.

Luckily I was able to cancel the order for the Elite DVL-91. While it would have been nice to try out a few dts Laserdiscs, I still like my Pioneer CLD-D505 and was kind of not wanting to deal with a dual DVD / LD player since I only wanted it for LDs. Also kept reading complaints on how noisy some think the 91 can be.

Good thing is I did manage to buy a Denon AVD-2000 for about $150.00 to hook up to my current player. My previous demodulator was a brand new Sony model I got roughly 20 years ago and was well taken care of but, I turned it on one time and it never worked since then.

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2022, 23:49 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

jackbluray wrote:
Luckily I was able to cancel the order for the Elite DVL-91. While it would have been nice to try out a few dts Laserdiscs, I still like my Pioneer CLD-D505 and was kind of not wanting to deal with a dual DVD / LD player since I only wanted it for LDs. Also kept reading complaints on how noisy some think the 91 can be.

Yeah…. I didn’t want to say it but $700 is a bit steep for a DVL. I would only spend that much if it was something like an LD-S2 and honestly speaking I still wouldn’t be desperate enough to fork over that much cash for it. If you want a good decent player with all the bells and whistles, I would still recommend a CLD-D704. You can still get these for a fairly good price.

jackbluray wrote:
Good thing is I did manage to buy a Denon AVD-2000 for about $150.00 to hook up to my current player. My previous demodulator was a brand new Sony model I got roughly 20 years ago and was well taken care of but, I turned it on one time and it never worked since then.

You won’t regret it. It is a great unit and even features auto switching between the AC3-RF input and Optical Digital 1 (unfortunately you won’t be able to take advantage of it since the 505 doesn’t have any digital output). Do you still have your Sony RF Demodulator? If so, might be easy to fix if it’s just no power (could be a fuse; maybe an IC Protector).

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2022, 23:52 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

Yep, I still have the Sony demod. I just couldn’t bring myself to throw it away.

Would be nice to imagine it fixed.

Also that CLD-D704 sounds nice.

I will keep my eyes open for that model

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2022, 00:25 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Yes. Never ever throw something as rare as that away. Probably a simple issue. You could always open it up and take some pics of the power supply area and let us see if there is anything obvious.

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2022, 00:58 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

ldfan wrote:
Yes. Never ever throw something as rare as that away. Probably a simple issue. You could always open it up and take some pics of the power supply area and let us see if there is anything obvious.

Sent DM

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2022, 12:00 
Second post
Second post

laserpaal wrote:
One disadvantage I can come up with is the skipping problem on side B. In the first couple of minutes the player gets into a loop where it can play a specific scene over and over again. I have had this problem and cured it by doing some minor adjustments, but it seems to be a common problem with especially the DVL-909.

I know this is a really old bump, and a bit of a reach, but I just picked up a 909 and this is happening with it. Anyone have any suggestions on how to correct the problem?

Page 2 of 2 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2