It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:04

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Replacing a dead Pioneer LD player (need advice)
PostPosted: 16 Aug 2020, 01:26 
First post
First post

Hi to all,
I really need some advice. My Pioneer DVL-909 FINALLY DIED yesterday. It's a problem that has been reported here--tray won't open (has a disc inside), Play gives no results, Open does work. It powers on with the Blue light on front. You get on-screen messages like "Play" but no activity, followed by "Close" (even though tray is closed). Even worse, I HAVE A BRAND NEW DISC INSIDE!!!! (Fall of the Roman Empire in AC-3). Not sure what to do as I am not a system mechanic. ebay has a few DVL-909s at various prices (202 to 400 to nearly 1,500 for mint). Would you buy another one? Or would you just choose a different model or manufacturer? Please let me know if you have opinions about replacing a player. And how the heck do you retrieve a disc from a DEAD player? Help! Thank you.

Post subject: Re: Replacing a dead Pioneer LD player (need advice)
PostPosted: 16 Aug 2020, 01:44 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Get a screwdriver, make sure the power is off.

4 screws on the side and some screws on the top, take the top off and then there will be a bracket to take off, may be 4 or so screws.
Look for top clamper to see picture.

Then look into what belt you may need to fix, don't toss it fix it pls.

Do a search in the top corner to find out what to do, take your time and do all repairs at your own risk.
We are not responsible for damage to your disc or player.

Post subject: Re: Replacing a dead Pioneer LD player (need advice)
PostPosted: 16 Aug 2020, 02:07 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

It does sound like a belt issue to me as well. Were you having any other issues before this incident (e.g.: didn't play DVD)? If not, the player sounds very salvageable (I’m actually shocked you considered this on the level of “dead”; not even close).

As rein-o said, unplug the power and remove the case. I would then check to see if your transport assembly is in the raised or lowered position. If it's raised, you'll need to move a gear to drop it down. Once it's lowered, locate the gearing where the loading belt is on and turn it to move the tray out (might even be able to simply pull out the tray manually by just grabbing it but try the gear first).

Another option if you just want to extract the disc quickly might be to just remove the upper clamp assembly and then you might have room to maneuver the disc out of the player. Here are the parts you need to remove (in red)....

(original pic courtesy of "itsvince725')

The upper track will still be in the way but like I said you might be able to maneuver the disc out. Just be very careful for the sake of the disc itself.

After you get it out, you'll have to look into whether the loading belt was the issue. If you have never replaced it, it's probably time for a new one.

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]