It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:39

Page 3 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Rubber Cushion VEB1237 part discontinued
PostPosted: 09 Mar 2018, 01:27 
True fan
True fan

I've been so busy I haven't much time to watch any LDs and test my plasti dipped player, I did watch an LD on it two weeks ago with no issues to speak of.

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2018, 03:33 
Site Admin
Site Admin

krbahr wrote:
No differences in the packaging. I had to feel each one to determine what was good or bad.

I just received a DEB1169 from PP few days ago, intended to be a spare parts for my X9.

Since I've never since a DEB1169 before... how can I tell if I received the right one or not?

Attachment:
DEB1169.jpg
DEB1169.jpg [ 57.77 KiB | Viewed 5213 times ]

Julien

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2018, 17:56 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

Has anyone tried a product like MG Chemicals "Rubber Renue" to recondition an existing ring? I know it works pretty well on tape pinch rollers, idler tires and other rubber parts that go hard/slick in other consumer electronics.

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2018, 04:03 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

admin wrote:
krbahr wrote:
No differences in the packaging. I had to feel each one to determine what was good or bad.

I just received a DEB1169 from PP few days ago, intended to be a spare parts for my X9.

Since I've never since a DEB1169 before... how can I tell if I received the right one or not?

Attachment:
DEB1169.jpg

Julien

Just touch the surface and see if your finger slides across it or if there is a friction or grip holding your finger.

I tried rubber renew in the past and it was a temporary fit. The spray for car/auto belts works better

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2018, 02:43 
Site Admin
Site Admin

krbahr wrote:
Just touch the surface and see if your finger slides across it or if there is a friction or grip holding your finger.

Thanks for the tip Kurtis, it does have friction with a square rubber pattern, not smooth at all.

Julien

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2018, 13:52 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

krbahr wrote:
Another update. I order 8 DEB1169 grip rings from pacparts.com and I opened them today to fix a LD-S9. Well the new ring was as smooth and slick as the slipping one in the S9 I wanted to replace.

I just wondered if these rings could be gently rubbed with a very mild abrasive to make the surface not so slippery?

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2018, 01:04 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I thought this might be pertinent information for others. I have a CLD-79 and the rubber cushion had definitely deteriorated. The player made loud squealing noises when starting up and stopping a disc. It had gotten to the point that the noise didn't go away and I used my Panasonic LX-600 instead.

I removed the old rubber cushion on the CLD-79 today and applied a single layer of liquid tape that I bought at WalMart. I saw it had been tried here and thought that it couldn't hurt to attempt to fix my player.

I let it dry for ten minutes and tested a laserdisc. It started up and stopped without issue. I've watched three films today and haven't run into any issues. This fix seems to work and may be the way to go since the few VEB1237 rubber cushions out there appear to all be old stock with old rubber.

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2018, 01:11 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

The rubber ring on my 503 is starting to slip and it was replaced and is only about 4 or so years old.
So the replacements aren't lasting that long either and we need other alternatives.
Thanks for posting about the tape, I'll look into that.

On a side note, the 503 is a player that I hardly ever used, I use to test stuff and have only played about 30 discs total in that 4 or so years with the new pad.

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2018, 03:33 
True fan
True fan

cmeister92 wrote:
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I thought this might be pertinent information for others. I have a CLD-79 and the rubber cushion had definitely deteriorated. The player made loud squealing noises when starting up and stopping a disc. It had gotten to the point that the noise didn't go away and I used my Panasonic LX-600 instead.

I removed the old rubber cushion on the CLD-79 today and applied a single layer of liquid tape that I bought at WalMart. I saw it had been tried here and thought that it couldn't hurt to attempt to fix my player.

I let it dry for ten minutes and tested a laserdisc. It started up and stopped without issue. I've watched three films today and haven't run into any issues. This fix seems to work and may be the way to go since the few VEB1237 rubber cushions out there appear to all be old stock with old rubber.

Very glad to hear it worked for you! Hopefully it will continue to work well , My player that was painted back in January is still going strong after about 2 dozen discs and performed flawlessly.

I almost feel like it works better then the oem ring, and even if doesn't last forever it's easy to reapply and a way cheaper alternative.

I think there is good reason to keep this thread alive, I think not only from use but also from sitting these rings are deteriorating, one thing is for sure there are only going to be more players with bad rings and this is a simple solution to a problem that can make these machines unusable if not addressed.

If anything it might give a few more years for the remaining LD players.

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2019, 12:15 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

I'm happy to announce that I've begun manufacture of new VEB1237 equivalent grip rings. Search on ebay and you will find them, or find me over at Laserdisc Forever on facebook.

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2019, 14:41 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

fireproof710 wrote:
I'm happy to announce that I've begun manufacture of new VEB1237 equivalent grip rings. Search on ebay and you will find them, or find me over at Laserdisc Forever on facebook.

Very interesting, I was going to look into making them when I had time.

Are you using an Osborne punch? or are you getting the stock supplier to punch them?

That's how I was going to do it.

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2019, 13:31 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

I'm using custom press dies that I fabricated myself. I'm working on DEB1169 and VEB1008 now. I realize pacparts still has DEB1169, but who knows for how much longer, and who knows how long the rubber on the old stock parts will stay grippy.

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2019, 14:30 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

fireproof710 wrote:
I'm using custom press dies that I fabricated myself. I'm working on DEB1169 and VEB1008 now. I realize pacparts still has DEB1169, but who knows for how much longer, and who knows how long the rubber on the old stock parts will stay grippy.

Thanks fireproof710,

Efforts like this are realistically the only way we're all going to keep our players running well into the future.

Now what we need is for some folks with the appropriate electronic engineering knowledge to work out how to replace the laser diodes in pickups. NOS laser pickups are mostly unavailable or stupidly expensive - rebuilding them is most likely going to become the only option.

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2019, 22:57 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

audioboyz1973 wrote:
Now what we need is for some folks with the appropriate electronic engineering knowledge to work out how to replace the laser diodes in pickups. NOS laser pickups are mostly unavailable or stupidly expensive - rebuilding them is most likely going to become the only option.

I've been thinking a lot about this as well ever since Simon and Chad mentioned it here:

An overview here http://donklipstein.com/laserdio.htm#diousc

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2021, 23:46 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Looks like this topic hasn't been visited in a while. I'm about to try replacing a grip ring with the plasti dip / liquid tape method, but have a few questions.

1. After extended use, is one better to use than the other (plasti dip vs liquid tape).
2. Does this get painted onto the old ring, or does the old ring get removed and spindle cleaned?
3. Is there anything you need to do after painting a thin layer and allowing it to dry?

Thanks!

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2021, 00:42 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I use Shoe Goo but it needs to be even. Kinda hard since it dries so quickly. I put on top of old ring.

PostPosted: 09 May 2021, 08:58 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Just bumping this thread in the hope we get a bite! Looking at the same issue - wondering if anyone has further experimenting experience and comment with regards to using a liquid or spray fix for a worn out grip ring.
CLD-2290 Digital Prob
CLD-2590K Lots issues

PostPosted: 14 May 2021, 13:11 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Following up on my post from 2019, I finally have a custom cut replacement for DEB1169 on eBay. It should come up in the search as the PN is in the listing title.

PostPosted: 14 May 2021, 14:26 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Also, just to chime in regarding the paint or spray solution. While I can see that it would be tempting to run to your hardware store and get an off the shelf product that will quickly restore you LD player to working order, I would caution doing this for a couple of reasons:

1) Spraying anything inside the player is a bad, bad idea. Gears? Rails? Anything that's meant to slide will have a harder time doing so with even the faintest film of an aerosolized product.
2) If you paint anything onto the spindle, unless it's a perfectly even application, it could introduce wobble to the disc. Not only could that impact playback, but it could cause premature wear to the bronze bushing in the spindle motor.

This is the whole reason I started making replacements. I figured there had to be a better solution.

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2021, 12:23 
Third post and above
Third post and above

fireproof710, do you know where can I find a rubber cushion VEB1008 ("rubber spacer" as named in the service manual) replacement?
Do you sell them?

I've just bought a Pioneer LD-S1 and it makes an odd noise when I press "play" or "stop". The disc is certainly sliding (not gripping properly) and this is damaging my discs, making circular scratches on the center label of the disc (on side 2 if I play the side 1 of the disc, and on side 1 if I play the side 2).

Attachments:
rsz_1img_20211125_013156.jpg
rsz_1img_20211125_013156.jpg [ 389.42 KiB | Viewed 2638 times ]

Page 3 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next