It is currently 10 May 2024, 00:28

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Pioneer DVL 909 PAL/NTSC question...
PostPosted: 06 Oct 2011, 07:40 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Anyone ever see a light colored model of DVL 909 marked PAL/NTSC on the front lower right corner just like my CLD-D515, and with a selector switch on the back marked: TV System = PAL - NTSC - AUTO ?

Is this a PAL/NTSC dual format LD player or is it only that way for DVDs? It has onboard automatic voltage selector for 110 to 240 volts, 50 or 60 cycles. Has no component output and no scart output. Any ideas about this one?

Post subject: Re: Pioneer DVL 909 PAL/NTSC question...
PostPosted: 06 Oct 2011, 17:42 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Sounds like the Australian model.

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2011, 20:24 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

All of the DVL-909 and 919 players I have are champagne gold in colour, have NTSC/PAL on the front and the TV switch button on the back you mention.
They are all UK models.

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2011, 23:25 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

laserdisc_fan wrote:
All of the DVL-909 and 919 players I have are champagne gold in colour, have NTSC/PAL on the front and the TV switch button on the back you mention.
They are all UK models.

Thanks guys, that helps but what I'm trying to find out for sure is if this one plays both PAL and NTSC laserdiscs, or maybe only PAL and NTSC DVDs. There's no scart connect on the back like the UK model has (it's a blank spot), and no component out like the US Model, and has the PAL/NTSC marking on front which the Hong Kong/Japanese model does not. So maybe Australian would be correct. It is like the champagne coloring, not a strong gold or bronze like the asian model I see on the LD-UK website.

So, Laserdisc Fan, do all your UK models play both PAL and NTSC LDs. That's what I'm looking for. Is the output switchable like if you play a PAL disc to have it output in NTSC format, and visa versa? And would the AUTO switch setting then just output in the format of the actual laserdisc? Please let me know as I have to decide by Saturday to purchase it, and it's a good drive away. Thanks!

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2011, 20:04 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

I checked the 909 and 919 machines I have to get you some more details.
Here is what I found :

Although all of them had the NTSC/PAL on the front and the PAL/NTSC/Auto switch on the back they do not all play both formats of LD.

Only the following models play both PAL AND NTSC laserdiscs:
Those which have scart sockets
Those which have NTSC/PAL on the back at the very top of the box jutting out on the back
Be warned it must NOT say LD:NTSC directly beneath the NTSC/PAL otherwise it will only play NTSC LDs

In other words if you see LD:NTSC on the back that is exactly what you are buying NTSC laserdisc playback only!
If it doesn't say LD:NTSC then you should be OK however I cannot tell you any more about sockets as all of my players which could play NTSC and PAL LDs had scart sockets.

All of the LD players seemed to have the TV switch on the back set to Auto by default. I must confess I have never changed this and found it to work automatically for any TV I ever used the LD player through in the UK be it a 10 year only Sony CRT or a more modern LCD TV.

Hope this helps with your decision.

Last edited by laserdisc_fan on 08 Oct 2011, 10:59, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2011, 21:43 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Thanks, that helped a lot! The LD player does have the PAL/NTSC mark on the back as you described and DOES say (LD-NTSC), So you saved me a long trip! I'll just make do with my nice CLD-D515 that I got at a thrift store for $10. Everytime I use it, I feel great.

I once bought a Sony MDP-V7 from Canada that had the PAL/NTSC marked on the back with a switch, and I wrongfully assumed it was for LD. Wrong! It was for playing PAL or NTSC Video CDs! When I first got it, I tossed in a PAL LD and it played for a few seconds then the machine quit. I was worried I ruined it, but it was just a circuit designed to stop the player when the wrong format LD was inserted. After a couple of minutes it was ready to go.

So a little better research discovered the truth, but I was not disappointed because it is one of the rare Sony's that has AC3 out plus the whole digital freeze-frame and slo-mo, and it's silver colored so it goes with the vintage stuff really well.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]