It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:11

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: DVL-909 or something else?
PostPosted: 23 Apr 2020, 13:46 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Planning for the possibility that my CLD D925 may be beyond reasonable repair.

If that's the case I'm going to have to get something to replace it.

What do you guys recommend? Must meet the following criteria:

1. Be reasonably priced
2. PAL and NTSC capable
3. Auto side changer
4. AC3 output ready (I have a demodulator)
5. Jog wheel remote (not a deal breaker)
6. Decent video and audio output for capturing
7. Able to play 10" and 5" discs

I'm thinking if I go crazy to get a DVL909. I found one fully boxed in excellent condition. Any ideas on value? I have my own estimation but wanted a second opinion.

Anything else you would recommend around €100-€300?

I don't want to go too crazy because of the volatility of these players and the difficulty with parts and servicing, as my possibly very expensive mistake last night made me find out.

Thanks all.

Post subject: Re: DVL909 or something else?
PostPosted: 23 Apr 2020, 17:10 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Why do you want a DVL so badly? It's not like you need the DVD playback, and you can probably get a better specced machine for the same amount of money without the DVD playback.

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2020, 17:12 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

No real reason to be honest other than I read somewhere that it is basically a 925 with a DVD player stuck on it.

What other European players would you recommend that meet my specs list? Open to all ideas. :thumbup:

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2020, 18:55 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

teddanson wrote:
No real reason to be honest other than I read somewhere that it is basically a 925 with a DVD player stuck on it.

What other European players would you recommend that meet my specs list? Open to all ideas. :thumbup:

You must answer this one, its up to your budget and availability in your area if you aren't shipping.

Working should be the only option on your spec list, I would look into getting as many working players as you can if you plan on this
for the long haul.

Get some Pal and NTSC players not just combi players.
Good luck.

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2020, 19:08 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Forget about availability in Ireland. There are very few for sale. I don't mind the shipping so much for the right player.

I know that whatever I buy will go to a Framemeister and then a half decent 4K television, so fancy composite trickery isn't high on my list. I've owned nearly every DVDO in the past and other makes of scalers and processors and stuck with the Framemeister so all good there.

I guess then this is about just getting something that works and is reasonably priced? I've had my 925 so long I've never considered or learned about anything else.

Again with the 909 it is more about the LD part being based on a 925 that I like about it. The DVD part I don't care for as I have a Panasonic UB820.

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2020, 20:19 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

If it absolutely has to be PAL/NTSC then I don’t have any recommendations. That’s going to narrow the field down to one or two decent players that you probably already know about and you’ll have to take whichever one is available when you’re looking.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2020, 20:27 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
If it absolutely has to be PAL/NTSC then I don’t have any recommendations. That’s going to narrow the field down to one or two decent players that you probably already know about and you’ll have to take whichever one is available when you’re looking.

It does. I don't have the room to store multiple players. PAL/NTSC offers the best convenience for me. I'd go for another 925 but the prices people want these days are stupid for it. For the money they want now I could get something better (I think?).

On the flip side, hopefully I can fix the issue with my 925 so I don't have to buy a new player. :lol:

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2020, 22:14 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Don't they only made something like 2 or 3 Pal NTSC combi players??
And if space is limited you may be SOL unless you get that player you have working.

Doesn't sound too much like you can have a spare parts player along with a working player.

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2020, 22:29 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rein-o wrote:
Don't they only made something like 2 or 3 Pal NTSC combi players??

There's plenty, it's the ones that can play analog PAL discs that are in short order.

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2020, 22:58 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

teddanson wrote:

I am no expert here but pretty sure it is not a 925 with a DVD player stuck on it.

One of the few places that will still take on laserdisc player repairs here in Glasgow commented on the 925 that I took in for repair a few years ago which they managed to do & the guy did know about the various UK players. He did state that the 925 was the best of all the UK models & when I mentioned the 919E that I had at the time he really did not rate it, he thought it was a nice looking machine but that was all then running through why he would have the 925 over the LD DVD combo players. He compared the picture quality to be very similar to the 515 & I would agree on that one, quite a soft image.

I do love my 925 & don't think I will find anything better at a price I can afford here in the UK unless I win the lottery but as I don't buy a ticket that is not going to happen.

Your 925 packed in after spinning a warped disc? How bad was the warp as any slightly warped discs that have been spun in my 925 were a little louder when playing but no other issues thankfully. Can the player not be fixed?

Hope you find a good player at the right price for you.

Good luck with the hunt :thumbup: .

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2020, 23:19 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

je280 wrote:
I am no expert here but pretty sure it is not a 925 with a DVD player stuck on it.

One of the few places that will still take on laserdisc player repairs here in Glasgow commented on the 925 that I took in for repair a few years ago which they managed to do & the guy did know about the various UK players. He did state that the 925 was the best of all the UK models & when I mentioned the 919E that I had at the time he really did not rate it, he thought it was a nice looking machine but that was all then running through why he would have the 925 over the LD DVD combo players. He compared the picture quality to be very similar to the 515 & I would agree on that one, quite a soft image.

I do love my 925 & don't think I will find anything better at a price I can afford here in the UK unless I win the lottery but as I don't buy a ticket that is not going to happen.

Your 925 packed in after spinning a warped disc? How bad was the warp as any slightly warped discs that have been spun in my 925 were a little louder when playing but no other issues thankfully. Can the player not be fixed?

Hope you find a good player at the right price for you.

Good luck with the hunt :thumbup: .

This is where I got the 909 and 925 comparison from.

http://www.laserdiscarchive.co.uk/DVL-909.htm

I agree with you. I love my 925 and didn't want to go looking for something else. But in the UK/EU the prices for them have gotten really stupid and I won't pay the money being asked for one. 700 quid I've seen in some places.

The warped disc I played you really wouldn't have noticed it was warped immediately and without a proper inspection. It was a disc I bought a few weeks back. Didn't check it, put in the disc and got a horrific clattering sound. Couldn't stop it and had to dive in and rip the plug out the back to stop it. After that I got the clicking and the E0 error. Hoping to get a result int he repairs forum here. Fingers crossed.

A potentially expensive mistake. I love my LD's, some of the rarer ones in my collection took me ages to find. I have a full set of Darius discs from Japan (the video game not the singer!) that took me over 2 years to find all of them one at a time. I'm not throwing in the hobby any time soon! :thumbup:

PostPosted: 08 May 2020, 17:46 
True fan
True fan

You don’t have much choice if you want a NTSC/PAL player. Personally I’d stay away from these units. They’re LD playback is marginally decent at best . These machines were produced to capitalize on the new format at the time, dvd . The champagne color was brushed to mimic the greats that came before it. There were a few other models Pioneer did this with in the end.

PostPosted: 09 May 2020, 17:30 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Aren't some of the industrial players dual format? LV-4300D?
https://www.laserdiscarchive.co.uk/laserdisc_archive/pioneer/pioneer_ld-v4300d/pioneer_ld-v4300d.htm

Perhaps limited in features but its built like a tank, Digital Audio and/or AC-3 could be added.

This would also maybe be an incentive to do some Domesday Decoding...also likely to be available in your region.

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ]