It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:58

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: First Laserdisc Player: CLD S104 - Question
PostPosted: 15 Oct 2023, 18:08 
Third post and above
Third post and above

So I just got my first LD player a couple weeks ago. It’s a Pioneer CLD S104. I know from looking around on here that this is one of the lower (lowest) end for Pioneer models when it comes to picture quality and features. But, more importantly, I wanted to ask around here to see if anyone knew about this units’ potential longevity. The previous owner seems to have taken great care with it, and so far I’ve played a good 10 or so discs on it with no major issues. I’ve heard it can be loud, but mine seems to mostly run fairly quiet (with the occasional loud disc). But I also read something on here about watching out for a unit like this that has a “m-holder”? This is my first player, and I don’t know much about it…is there anything I should be looking at/doing to keep this player in good shape? Or, since it seems to be working, will it likely last me a while (provided I don’t drop it or anything)? I just don’t want to be paranoid that every time I watch a disc it’s going to be a time bomb…I appreciate any tips/help!

Post subject: Re: First Laserdisc Player: CLD S104 - Question
PostPosted: 15 Oct 2023, 19:18 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Its working?

Don't mess with it until it stops working.

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2023, 21:18 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I agree w/ rein-o; don't mess with it.

Every player @ this point is a ticking time bomb so you just have to deal with it as it comes up. For the most part, the S104 should be fine as long as you don't do anything like drop it. Also, the most common issue on the majority of players is a stretched loading belt which will cause erratic tray loading movement (will auto close when trying to open it) and poor clamping (disc goes in but refuses to spin up; mostly on LD but fine w/ CD).

So enjoy your player and don't worry about. :)

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2023, 21:55 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Thank you both! I’m assuming by “don’t touch it” you mean don’t open it up/try to mess with any internals, not “don’t play it,” right? Lol, I’m just paranoid I guess.

Just curious, but what is an “m-holder” exactly? I’ve read on here that it can cause problems/need to be replaced, but I’m not really sure what it is/does.

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2023, 23:29 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

That player doesn’t have that sort of m holder, don’t worry.

If you’re that concerned about this particular player crapping out then I should tell you that things break, old things that spin fast break even more frequently, and keeping a working player around to watch your collection on will be a part time job if you are to continue down this road. If it’s going to be a thing where you’re limiting your LD watching because you’re afraid the player will break…that’s no way live. Sell the whole thing on to someone more easy going.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2023, 07:29 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

whatthechuck3 wrote:
Thank you both! I’m assuming by “don’t touch it” you mean don’t open it up/try to mess with any internals, not “don’t play it,” right? Lol, I’m just paranoid I guess.

When we said “enjoy it”, I don’t know how that could have meant looking at the player like it was a piece of art and never using it :wtf:.

Don’t be paranoid if you intend to stick with this hobby as zeta said. If you always feel this way, you can never enjoy it. I think what you should do, however, is to keep looking for more players to have a back-up at all times.

whatthechuck3 wrote:
Just curious, but what is an “m-holder” exactly? I’ve read on here that it can cause problems/need to be replaced, but I’m not really sure what it is/does.

An m-holder is short for motor holder. In this particular case, it’s like a chassis designed to hold a motor along with a set of gears used to move a laser pick up assembly on the track for a “both side”play LD player based on the Epsilon Turn system (Alpha and Gamma Turn models are not affected by the m-holder issues discussed). This motor actually rides along with the laser pick-up.

Your S104 (along with every “single side” player) doesn’t have the type of motor holder found on both side play models because the laser pick-up doesn’t have a motor that rides along with it. Instead, the motor that drives the laser assembly is mounted on the main chassis and has a belt that drives the pick-up back and forth. Hence, it’s a simpler design that in turn makes it less fragile.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]